Solid Colors vs Metallics

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Grey Black was intro'd not long ago - non metallic Slate. All Porsche colors are clear coated.

We've done the plugs and a few interior pieces - it's a stunning color. Might look good without all the red doodads added on some of these.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is real British Racing Green? And a real brown or dark blue? Not to mention the handsome pale greens and blues that were available on the 356. The closest to a solid color that I would like is cream which looks incredible with a cocoa interior -- oops, no more cocoa interiors either.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
Something about the pigments must have changed, right?

When you look at classic car solid colors (like those 356's or any of the classic american cars), they have a really deep, layered look, and they subtly change color with different light.

Modern solid paint jobs just look really flat. It seems like they use the metallic just to make it look decent.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Older paints were not clear coated (single state) and this lended to a deeper finish when properly polished. If you look at a properly polished single state Guards Red Porsche built before 1995 it will literally look like the paint is soaking wet and ready to drip off the car. It is stunning and will usually make people stop in their tracks to look at it.
Just wondering if the lack of heavy metals and lower VOC regulations also play a role?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Forest Green metallic. Not your typical color. Plenty of compliments, but no sex yet as a result.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colors In General Today Are Dreary

There doesnt seem to be too many non-metallic colors today. I personally like the non-metallic colors like speed yellow and guards red.

Take a look around you when you are on the road. Its a sea of gray/silver/black/white. Porsche is no different. I was looking at bicycles with my girlfriend over the weekend and its even like this on bikes today. She was like - I dont want a gray bike .

Occasionally you will see a red car, even less so a blue car unless and even less so a yellow car.

The public is very, very adverse to color today. Not sure why. I have heard the excuses - silver is the traditional German color, silver/black/gray is CLASSIC (along with every other car on the road).

This goes hand in hand with everyone painting the inside of their houses beige.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acao
My use and enjoyment of the car comes from sitting inside it, so I've never cared what color the outside is.

The outside color consumed primarily by other people, so the car color could blind gawkers' unborn children for all I care.
WOW! Tell us how you really feel.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

My car is arctic silver-as plain-jane Porsche as you can get. For my next trick I would like to go as close to black but not black, so I was thinking atlas grey. I saw it awhile back when I dropped the car off for service. It is striking. I clean my car every week, but it's very hard to get a deep shine. Cheers.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Default Black & Dark Colors Are Tough To Keep Looking Nice

I had a black metallic car once and it was an ordeal to keep it looking nice. It felt like it looked nice for about a 1/2 hour after it was washed and than went back to looking like crap
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I had a black metallic car once and it was an ordeal to keep it looking nice. It felt like it looked nice for about a 1/2 hour after it was washed and than went back to looking like crap

You should try SOLID Black!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Upkeep is very much a PITA for solid dark colors and somehow I feel it was more apt for the classic era. My favorite being the Aubergine aka egg plant color
+ 1

I too love that color, though I'm not sure how it would look on the larger 997 or 991 compared to the smaller 911 ?

Very pretty color IMHO
Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Pretty sure that someone here on RL has an Aetna Blue 997. That grey on the Club Sport is very nice too
Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
I'm sure it has something to do with ones's tolerance threshhold, but I agree. I've owned 3 black cars, 2 solid and one metallic (I'm a slow learner); never again.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Grey Black was intro'd not long ago - non metallic Slate. All Porsche colors are clear coated.

We've done the plugs and a few interior pieces - it's a stunning color. Might look good without all the red doodads added on some of these.
In the flesh, this looks a lot like the 356 Slate Grey...
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

http://euroclassics.porschedealer.co...81784/info.php

Check out this GTS Cab. Very nice.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Originally Posted by ralt12
In the flesh, this looks a lot like the 356 Slate Grey...
Originally Posted by FI Flyer
While my car is painted in a metallic color (Meteor Gray), I would have preferred a solid color. It is a beautiful car and I love it. But....

The only solid colors available seem to be black, white, and extreme colors (red and yellow) plus -- and considerable extra cost -- cream. What I would like are a nice solid gray or two, a real dark green (not the absurd metallic not-really-British racing green) and, perhaps, a nice dark brown and/or dark blue.

One more thing, I'd like every color to be protected with a layer of clear coat.

Am I the only one who is tired of metallic paints?
Ditto for me. I love solids but agree with others that the dark ones are hard to maintain, especially black. I have a basalt black car but would really like like the new grey black Porsche uses on the RS. As far as metallics go ti do think Atlas Grey is the best.

Quick Reply: Solid Colors vs Metallics