Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too good to be true? I trust you guys to steer me right.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

[quote=USMC_DS1;8896800]
Originally Posted by dagolfpro
Anyone else know if this is true? I found a Panamera S last month on Porsche.com/USA and I called the dealership. They said they wouldn't honor it since it was a typo. Listed it for $59,000 for 2011 with less then 10,000 miles. Car was actually $89,000[/QUOT

My p-dealer resisted at 1st. Told me there was no way they could honor the price because they had paid $6K more for the trade in... but when I mentioned that I would have to call Porsche USA to see why a price on their website could not be honor the dealer caved. I flew out the next day to buy it. Had a local indy do the PPI and meet me at the dealership. They tried to sell it to some one else while my Indy was doing the PPI but he got scared off by the RMS leak my Indy found. Apparently they had it on the lot for 4+ months and the seal dried out. Had the dealer replace it and I was GTG... figured I had saved about $10K on an '08 997.1s with 1.3 yr of original warranty and 2 yrs afterwards of CPO. Just fight for it and do everything in email so there is a paper trail. And be prepared to jump so they don't sell it from underneath you.
You did a great job forcing the issue...but most dealers won't honor a "pricing error" even if you call PCNA. PCNA can't force anything and the dealer will just have to weigh bad customer service against losing money. I'm surprised your dealer worried about bad customer service with an out-of town buyer...but still great job! BTW, here's the disclaimer Beasley uses:
* While every reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this data, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions contained on these pages. Please verify any information in question with a dealership sales representative.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dagolfpro
Anyone else know if this is true? I found a Panamera S last month on Porsche.com/USA and I called the dealership. They said they wouldn't honor it since it was a typo. Listed it for $59,000 for 2011 with less then 10,000 miles. Car was actually $89,000
Well they may get a slap from Porsche USA for making such an error, but legallly they have no obligation to sell it at that price, which is surely waaay below their cost. Happens pretty frequently in these days of internet ads and keystroke errors.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Rahway NJ is a rough industrial area. I can almost guarantee this is an auction car with a rough history, pricing error or not.

I'd pass on it without further thought.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your input. Sometimes my enthusiasm to find the Porsche that's right for me blurs my better judgment. I've waited a long time for this and I know I shouldn't get in a hurry now.

Instead of looking for something that I like, I should wait to find what I think I really want within my budget ('06-'08 White/Black C4S). Every time I come across a picture of the rear end of a White C4S, I'm reminded why I'm really looking. Patience has never been my strong suit. Don't get me wrong, I love Black, Silver, Red, I even saw a Turquoise Targa with Tan interior one time and thought it really worked for that car. There is just something about a White C4S that I can't explain. But then again, I wouldn't rule out a Turbo in any color if the price was right.

Thanks for listening...
Yeah, I can totally understand how you feel. I own exactly that-- a white C4S, and I just happen to be in love with it. The White body, black interior-- simply delicious. Something about that white...
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

By the way, my note above wasn't meant to brag-- I just find it intriguing that you dream car is a white C4S. So was mine and made it happen. I am wishing you the same. Keep at it, and sooner rather than later, we sincerely hope you’ll be here chatting with us “bragging” about your white C4S!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

it is either scam or a wreck. or it has no engine.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

[quote=jhbrennan;8897179]
Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
You did a great job forcing the issue...but most dealers won't honor a "pricing error" even if you call PCNA. PCNA can't force anything and the dealer will just have to weigh bad customer service against losing money. I'm surprised your dealer worried about bad customer service with an out-of town buyer...but still great job! BTW, here's the disclaimer Beasley uses:
* While every reasonable effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this data, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions contained on these pages. Please verify any information in question with a dealership sales representative.
Yes, Beasley is very careful and will not do anything in writing. I would have preferred to make a local purchase so I initially made several inquiries via their website and even made some offers on various vehicles... no response. Called their Sales GM, Beau(sp?), about my offers and that I was about to jump on a flight to p/u an vehicle from SoCal due to lack of response from Beasley. Indicated he would look into it and get back to me immediately. No call back. I even made one last attempt and called him again on my way to the airport... vmail and no response. I guess they're doing so well at Beasley that they don't need to call back customers with offers in hand. Good thing too... cause I ended up with an '08 C2S for $7K less than the '06 Beasley had on the lot.

I was a little surprised that the p-dealer in SoCal honored the pricing error as well. I was paranoid all the way thru... too good to be true, gotta be something wrong with it, they're gonna pull the carpet any second now, etc. I was on a business trip out to NorCal anyway so it was easy/low cost to do a stopover to Newport Beach, CA. My out of pocket gamble was one day of hotel and car rental cost... plus the Indy PPI. DME, PPI, and test drive came thru fine… leaky RMS was a no brainer as it was covered under warranty. The p-dealer was very focused afterwards on receiving a positive customer response for their survey but I assume they all are... perhaps in my case it was not the only reported issue at the p-dealer of pricing issues or customer sat… and perhaps these errors were reported too often to PCNA. SoCal is also plagued with lawsuits as well so they may be more sensitized towards an issue of false advertising. Regardless of what happen in my case… I think that if a p-dealer does not honor a price posted for the world to see and you have it in writing then you should report it to PCNA and take further action if necessary. It certainly would not hurt and may keep them more honest/accountable the next time IMHO.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 09-26-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1

My p-dealer resisted at 1st. Told me there was no way they could honor the price because they had paid $6K more for the trade in... but when I mentioned that I would have to call Porsche USA to see why a price on their website could not be honor the dealer caved. I flew out the next day to buy it. Had a local indy do the PPI and meet me at the dealership. They tried to sell it to some one else while my Indy was doing the PPI but he got scared off by the RMS leak my Indy found. Apparently they had it on the lot for 4+ months and the seal dried out. Had the dealer replace it and I was GTG... figured I had saved about $10K on an '08 997.1s with 1.3 yr of original warranty and 2 yrs afterwards of CPO. Just fight for it and do everything in email so there is a paper trail. And be prepared to jump so they don't sell it from underneath you.
Ill remember this for next time. It was a crazy as price and ill make sure to print it out and call Porsche USA next time.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Rahway NJ is a rough industrial area. I can almost guarantee this is an auction car with a rough history, pricing error or not.

I'd pass on it without further thought.
Seems like I remember a Sopranos episode where they went to Rahway to take care of some business.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Autocheck shows no accidents, was auctioned in July. Must be a typo.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
Seems like I remember a Sopranos episode where they went to Rahway to take care of some business.
yes, it is not a place I'd go willingly.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

It must be a typo. I'd say $20k below. If $59 is in the ball park - get it PPI'ed. Good buy at mid 50's.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Yeah, I can totally understand how you feel. I own exactly that-- a white C4S, and I just happen to be in love with it. The White body, black interior-- simply delicious. Something about that white...
I second the motion! With tinted glass all around and black wheels, it can be awesome. DId I say aerokit as well?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not call the dealer on the phone and inquire about the car. You will most likely be surprised in one way or another.

Quick Reply: Too good to be true? I trust you guys to steer me right.