Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob Budd does some nice work. Great mod! Have you noticed more HP from it?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great, can you tell me how you removed the console?

thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine trimmed in leather, waited months for the parts to come from Germany then be trimmed by a USA company. Was excited about it being delivered a couple of weeks ago. Got home to find UPS had "delivered" it to my doorstep. Needless to say it wasn't there when I got home

Currently in process of getting the shipper to claim against UPS so that they can start the whole process again.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
Rob Budd does some nice work. Great mod! Have you noticed more HP from it?
Oh definitely. The car is much faster now! I may need to get my fuse panel door done next for a little more boost LOL.

Originally Posted by limey940

thanks
I could try to describe the removal, but there may be others here that can provide photos to help. Main steps are:
Remove trim pieces either side of PCM.
Remove screw at each front end of console.
Remove screws under storage compartment floor.
Remove filler strip under emergency brake and remove screw there.
Remove bottom storage tray under center stack (which requires removal of bottom switch module above it).
Remove shifter trim and gear shift **** and boot.
Remove screw under shifter trim.
Unplug wiring connector for loom that goes to console. Connector is located behind storage tray. It is mounted to metal frame there, and can be removed by rotating counterclockwise about 45 degrees and pulling away from the metal frame.
Remove console. Be careful to clear it over the emergency brake handle without scuffing the leather on the handle.
Remove the wiring loom from the console. If you don't plug the loom back into the car and plug the passenger airbag warning light back in, you'll get an airbag code when you turn on the ignition because the car needs to see the passenger airbag warning light. If you don't plan to use the car for the weeks of time it may take for the work to be done, you don't need to worry about the wiring loom being reinstalled temporarily in the car, and can just leave it in the console.

I shipped my shifter frame as well as the silver trim piece it fits into so that the technician could ensure the pieces would mate properly after installing the leather.
I also shipped one of the trim pieces from beside the PCM so he could match the stitching color used in my full leather interior. If you don't have full leather, this may not be an issue.

Hope this helps, and hope I didn't forget something.

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I had mine trimmed in leather, waited months for the parts to come from Germany then be trimmed by a USA company. Was excited about it being delivered a couple of weeks ago. Got home to find UPS had "delivered" it to my doorstep. Needless to say it wasn't there when I got home

Currently in process of getting the shipper to claim against UPS so that they can start the whole process again.
Terrible story! I guess I've just been lucky all these years with packages left by my door. Hope you get it resolved properly.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=keninirvine;8900285]Oh definitely. The car is much faster now! I may need to get my fuse panel door done next for a little more boost LOL.

I could try to describe the removal, but there may be others here that can provide photos to help. Main steps are:
Remove trim pieces either side of PCM.
Remove screw at each front end of console.
Remove screws under storage compartment floor.
Remove filler strip under emergency brake and remove screw there.
Remove bottom storage tray under center stack (which requires removal of bottom switch module above it).
Remove shifter trim and gear shift **** and boot.
Remove screw under shifter trim.
Unplug wiring connector for loom that goes to console. Connector is located behind storage tray. It is mounted to metal frame there, and can be removed by rotating counterclockwise about 45 degrees and pulling away from the metal frame.
Remove console. Be careful to clear it over the emergency brake handle without scuffing the leather on the handle.
Remove the wiring loom from the console. If you don't plug the loom back into the car and plug the passenger airbag warning light back in, you'll get an airbag code when you turn on the ignition because the car needs to see the passenger airbag warning light. If you don't plan to use the car for the weeks of time it may take for the work to be done, you don't need to worry about the wiring loom being reinstalled temporarily in the car, and can just leave it in the console.

I shipped my shifter frame as well as the silver trim piece it fits into so that the technician could ensure the pieces would mate properly after installing the leather.
I also shipped one of the trim pieces from beside the PCM so he could match the stitching color used in my full leather interior. If you don't have full leather, this may not be an issue.

Hope this helps, and hope I didn't forget something.

Thanks a lot, ive found some pics of a removal but it didnt really provide the level of detail that you did, thanks again
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

thanks
Here are the best instruction for removing your rear center console.

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/67.pdf
Old 09-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Ken,

It looks fantastic! It really brings the overall sense of quality way up! I really dig it!

Matt
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Here are the best instruction for removing your rear center console.

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/ins...ruction/67.pdf
Thanks a lot, this looks great!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

You are welcome! Glad to help.

BTW, every time I see your avatar I think the two dogs immediately behind your Porsche are staring at you in disbelief that you just ran over their friend.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

We usually send the B&M instructions when we provide painted consoles....it's clear, with images...just go slowly.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To the OP, very nice, well done, excellent price.

To Eric- The Plug Master- maybe a business opportunity here. That would be awesome if you could add this to your product offering. Find some great leather hides (GAHH for example http://www.gahh.com/store.php?search_for=Leather), establish a relationship with a local leather shop and contract out the work, and/or hire-in the skill level as the business developes. 10% "finders fee" for me please.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
You are welcome! Glad to help.

BTW, every time I see your avatar I think the two dogs immediately behind your Porsche are staring at you in disbelief that you just ran over their friend.
That is funny, i didnt even think about that but now i look at the pic it does look like that.
I really need to update, the Border collie and lab have passed away, i just cant bring myself to change it..
cheers
Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
To the OP, very nice, well done, excellent price.

To Eric- The Plug Master- maybe a business opportunity here. That would be awesome if you could add this to your product offering. Find some great leather hides (GAHH for example http://www.gahh.com/store.php?search_for=Leather), establish a relationship with a local leather shop and contract out the work, and/or hire-in the skill level as the business developes. 10% "finders fee" for me please.
Thanks for the compliment. In checking the website above, it appears that the leathers for Porsche cars do not include most of the official factory colors. They also appear more textured than the factory leather.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

That is funny, i didnt even think about that but now i look at the pic it does look like that.
I really need to update, the Border collie and lab have passed away, i just cant bring myself to change it..
cheers
Don't change it! It's a cool pic and it obviously has sentimental value. Leave it as is!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

now if i could only find a shop that does this in toronto.

looks fantastic.

Quick Reply: Leather Console