Sponsored by:

PASM or aftermarket for base C2 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 PM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM or aftermarket for base C2 suspension

I am on the fence between a '09 C2 PDK and a Spyder.

I test drove several '09 C2 PDKs. The base suspension feels too soft. Not many base C2s have Sport suspension or PASM. Has anyone upgraded the stock suspension with after market? Which brand and how do you like it? Cost?

The car will be driven on weekends, road trips, and a few HPDE a year. I do not mind a firmer ride even on pothole infested Midwestern streets. PASM seemed like a perfect solution but finding a base C2 with it is difficult.

I really want Sports Chrono Plus also.

Should I wait it out for a car that has Sport or PASM and Sports Chrono Plus? Or is aftermarket suspension a good option?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Just buy a C2S with PDK and sport chrono plus. Problem solved.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
Just buy a C2S with PDK and sport chrono plus. Problem solved.
I considered that also. A C2S is probably about $10K more then a C2?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 AM
fontana302
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

KW V3 Coil Overs, You won't go wrong.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:06 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by autopc
I considered that also. A C2S is probably about $10K more then a C2?
Yes, if you're talking about MSRP. The PASM is definitely superior to the stock 'touring' suspension or the optional 'sport' suspension. For a couple of complex reasons as well, but simply put, in normal setting it is more comfortable over rough roads than the standard 'touring' suspension, while being a tauter, better-handling suspension than the optional 'sport' package when you select the setting for that. I tried all three back-to-back-to-back. Not like owning each one of course, but those differences I describe weren't subtle.

They are down to the last few thousand of the 997 by now I suppose, but you shouldn't have too much trouble locating a C2 with PASM. I had several to choose from on the lot the day we picked our C2S instead.

Gary
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Autopc,

Getting a C2 without PASM and without Sport Chrono and then modifying the car later could be costly.

Suspension changes: $2,000 to $3,000 depending on the suspension
Sport Chrono Plus: Software $1,200 installation $300 to $500 (only guessing on install cost)

You are looking at an additional $3,500 to $4,500.

You would probably be better off looking for a C2S. You will get 35 more HP, bigger brakes, 19" wheels, etc.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Sport PASM is really the way to go. But the Spyder will be faster on the track than a C2...a lot faster.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Look around- there are a few C2 cars out there with PASM built in from the factory. I was able to find one pretty easily. I found that dealers didn't always list this option on the sell sheet for the car. You may have physically look at the car to see if it has the button on the dash. Or just go for the C2S. I do recommend you get the PASM one way or another- it makes a big difference over the stock suspension.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I envy you guys who have PASM. I have a base 997 with 19" wheels and those bridge expansion joints are killing me! Those of you who travel the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in St. Pete know what I am talking about. My L4 has become my L1 and vice versa. Next Porsche will definitely have PASM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Look around- there are a few C2 cars out there with PASM built in from the factory. I was able to find one pretty easily. I found that dealers didn't always list this option on the sell sheet for the car. You may have physically look at the car to see if it has the button on the dash. Or just go for the C2S. I do recommend you get the PASM one way or another- it makes a big difference over the stock suspension.
I have been looking for a couple of months. You are right, some dealers do not list PASM when they advertise. Many dealers do not list Sports Chrono either, I had to click and view pictures on ads to see. Winter is just around the corner so my "fun" car driving season is almost over anyway. I will have all winter and spring to find a perfect car. A used C2S is about $10K more then a C2, which is more then I want to spend in this economy. Maybe the 997.2 C2S will drop down to my budgeted price range when Guys start trading out for the 991 in the spring.

Another option for me is a Spyder. Has all the performance options I want and in my current price range. Great performance for the money. It's just that it is a bit impractical for road trips.

Either the C2 or Spyder will be a weekend toy not a daily driver so I might have to make compromises one way or the other? It is going to be a long winter looking for the right car!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Hpowders, you may want to try running 18" wheels- that will help slightly with the ride quality. Even with PASM on normal the NYC area roads are god-awful. When I drive to Boston or the midwest the difference is amazing. Running the 18"s seemed to help slightly and actually I think the car performs a bit better in the corners since the tires have a bit of flex to eat up the abberations inthe road. The 19"s feel like they track better and the steering feels slightly more precise but the 18"s track better than almost any street car I've driven and the steering is fantastic and it feels like they don't let loose as readily when you're hard in the corners and the road surface is rough. All this is debatable of course. I did see an article where Walter Roehrl said he preferred the 18's on one particular 997. The 18"s aren't like some muscle car with a 5 inch sidewall...it doesn't feel sloppy at all.

Don't forget too that with PASM the car height is 10mm lower- that's great for performance but not so great for scraping on driveways and car parks- just something to consider.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Hpowders, you may want to try running 18" wheels- that will help slightly with the ride quality. Even with PASM on normal the NYC area roads are god-awful. When I drive to Boston or the midwest the difference is amazing. Running the 18"s seemed to help slightly and actually I think the car performs a bit better in the corners since the tires have a bit of flex to eat up the abberations inthe road. The 19"s feel like they track better and the steering feels slightly more precise but the 18"s track better than almost any street car I've driven and the steering is fantastic and it feels like they don't let loose as readily when you're hard in the corners and the road surface is rough. All this is debatable of course. I did see an article where Walter Roehrl said he preferred the 18's on one particular 997. The 18"s aren't like some muscle car with a 5 inch sidewall...it doesn't feel sloppy at all.

Don't forget too that with PASM the car height is 10mm lower- that's great for performance but not so great for scraping on driveways and car parks- just something to consider.
Thanks for the info, Rich. I have plenty of scrapes on the bottom of my BMW from my driveway. I learned the hard way to come out of the driveway at an angle to avoid scrapes. I searched for months for a base 911 with PASM. None had it and they all had the 19" wheels. So, I just slow down when approaching known imperfections-sort of defeats the purpose of a 325 hp car, but I get my revenge on highway entrance ramps and seemingly unlimited passing power.

Luckily, in Florida the state roads and interstates are in very good condition, so the jolts are few and far between. The Sunshine Skyway bridge however, is not a place for sports cars.

I will seriously think about the 18" wheels.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

if car is getting built to run on a track then best option is to use moton or JRZ (or Ohlins which are best) dediacted dual or triple adjustable coilovers. it will cost from $4K for parts plus install (about of 1-1.5K usually). Next best in 997.2 cars is 'sport PASM' suspension - it is not 'sport chrono' but usually comes together. it will be PASM system with a bit stiffer shocks and springs, lowered 20mm and also will come with LSD in your tranny - it is truly best option money can buy for 997.2 cars and it costs peanuts compared to what you will have to pay to put in aftermarket LSD unit alone. I vote for it every time - SPASM suspension is the best option.
regular PASM or base shocks are so-so equal in my opinion, if car will never see track i do not think it even matters - plus PASM in sport mode is too firm for the street but not enough firm for track.

people put on GT2 sway bars usually to make stock suspension a bit firmer and to reduce amount of body roll, it helps.

PS. I also use 18" rims for street, it helps to save rims from potholes and feels better. 19" and 20" rims are silly imho. and bumpy. every time your rubber is in the air - you have 0 traction. tire with more sidewall ona smaller rim has better contact with uneven surface and is a better/faster tire.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

The 18s may offer a smoother ride on the street but I don't think they are faster on the track.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The 18s may offer a smoother ride on the street but I don't think they are faster on the track.
almost every customized track car i saw uses 18" rims. 19" rims do come stock on 997 gt3 cars now so there is a slow transition to 19" but still majority of people runs 18" rims with r-comps.

as of what is 'faster' - there is no definition for that as when you go to the limits of traction whole suspension package comes to play. I still beleive that with firm springs and stiff car extra sidewall on 18" rubber is benefitial. plus 18" rubber is cheaper.

from other side - if you got a stock car with SPASM suspension and it comes with 19" wheels - it is an open topic if it would be better to keep factory suggested wheel or substitute it with 18" wheel. i do not think anybody did any direct comparison on long enough track to see what is actually better/faster solution.

Quick Reply: PASM or aftermarket for base C2 suspension