Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carfax - Is this a red flag for a CPO 997?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hanshotfirst
Pulled the carfax on a 06 C2S. In one repair, this was done. The car only has 15K miles and the dealer is about to CPO it with my deposit.

Any ideas what this could have been for? Unfixable leak?
Thanks in advance.

Transmission removed to complete repair
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
A/C and heating control assembly checked
Engine cleaned
Clutch release bearing replaced
Transmission checked
You have to take the transmission out to replace clutch release bearing. I know; I purchased and 07 C2 with CPO at 18k miles. By 19K, the transmission had been pulled three times to address clutch noise. the first two times the dealer was certain the noise was a clutch bearing and replaced release bearing then pilot bearing. After a second dealer took it apart, the porsche regional rep was called into evaluate. They measured,photographed, used mikes to attempt to locate of noise. Totally perplexed so the third time they not only took transmission out, they took it apart. They found two bearings degraded. Porsche wanted to replace the bearings in the transmission. I wanted a new transmission and then some because the car had been in the shop for 35 of the 50 days that I had owned it and I lost confidence in the mechanical integrity of the drive train. After pointing out to the dealer than the DME readout showed a significant number of overrevs,most of which must have occured while in the dealer's possession, I got quite a good deal on a new C2. The moral of this story is that a CPO will provide coverage but in some cases you will still not get the car you bargained for.
IMO A clutch release bearing should not need to be replaced at 15k unless the car has been abused. If the car has been abused there is a greater chance that some other parts have been compromised. So... make sure you get a DME read out and make sure there is no longer any strange noise coming from the clutch and transmission.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CPO is a great safety net but check on the actual duration of the warranty, I am not sure if it 2 years from purchase or only 2 years from expiration of the original warranty, just a point to clarify.

As to the work - my experience was similar and worked out well for me. My car had a bit of work done to qualify it for CPO - with less than 24k on the clock and 6 mos remaining on original warranty. RMS seal, clutch pack and release bearing, new battery, brake fluid flush, etc. I also knew that the 4th gear synchro had some wear but only noticed if driven very, very aggressively - I had the dealer make note of that and then waited until I was over 40k miles to have a factory reman installed under CPO. Actually, my dealer performed quite a few repairs under CPO (including every squeak and rattle) for me and it has really made the difference in the value of the car - for me. The RMS they replaced was still bone dry when they replaced the trans, the engine is still bone dry and uses less than 1/2 qt of oil in 5k miles. Have never in four years added oil between changes - 68 k on the clock now. Of course I thought I'd be in a CPO 997 by now, but love this 996 and 997.2 should eventually get to prices I would be comfortable with.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
RMS and transmission leaks are very common on low mileage 06' MY. I would not worry about it with CPO.
How long did it sit at the dealership? My '08 had 46K but sat for 4-5 months on the lot. RMS seal dried out then leaked. My Indy PPI caught it... I had the p-dealer replace it before accepting delievery even though the car was under warranty and had a CPO after the warranty. Even if it's under CPO have an Indy do the PPI. You'll be surprised at what they'll find.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
How long did it sit at the dealership? My '08 had 46K but sat for 4-5 months on the lot. RMS seal dried out then leaked. My Indy PPI caught it... I had the p-dealer replace it before accepting delievery even though the car was under warranty and had a CPO after the warranty. Even if it's under CPO have an Indy do the PPI. You'll be surprised at what they'll find.
2-3 months, the previous owner is a member on 6speedonline and traded his 911 for a lambo. I had it PPI at Pioneer Porsche, everything checked out fine at the time. I did not notice any leaks until I took it in for an oil change five months later.

Quick Reply: Carfax - Is this a red flag for a CPO 997?