Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPFP failed for the 4th time, is it a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I would certainly call PNA and have them extend the warranty. Thats the least they can do.
I would actually push for a buy back if he qualifies. I would ask for this and more as a last resort.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an Audi Allroad that had numerous issue's which I logged and sent a copy to Audi. I sold the car and the next day Fedex dropped an envelope through my door which had a letter stating I could drop my car off and pick up a check at the dealer. I had to call the people I sold the car to and explain to them the situation and I gave them a check for $1000 to get the car back from them. Funny thing was I bought this car used from an Audi dealer in Texas and had it shipped to California and they still bought it back. They bought it back for the same amount I paid including the shipping!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by autopc
I have some experience. I had 3 buy backs, 2 foreign and one domestic brand. I can't talk much about my cases. You will have to sign confidentiality agreements if they agree to a buy back.
I could see that you would be presented with a confidentiality agreement if you sue and they decide to settle. The settlement should include a sum of money to buy your silence, not just pay for what they were obligated to by law.

But if you are exercising your legal rights under the law and all they are doing is complying with that law, there is no requirement to remain silent. So make sure they buy your silence and ensure the price is right to justify keeping the lemon out of the public record and infosphere.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I have to call Porsche to get the car towed to the dealer because the engine would not start. I just have the HPFP replaced at 18K miles, and now at 21K, it failed again. This would be the 4th time the HPFP is replaced. Does this quality as a lemon under the lemon law?
At this point I'd suspect the cause is something else entirely, not the fuel pump.

Getting a single failed HPFP is somewhat rare now. Stack up the odds of getting FOUR such failures, and you are looking at very very long odds indeed. Get struck by lightning?

Given the odds, I'd think the most likely cause is a combination of other things that are causing the pump (if it is indeed the problem) to fail.

The pump may well have failed.. but WHY. If its a design or build flaw in the pump - thats what the general concern is about and the service action is about. But if its poor installation at the dealer/mechanic, or if its a result of fuel or some other thing interacting with the pump (atmospheric, vibration, fuel lines, your air quality, who knows).. then you could replace it with perfectly good new pumps till the cows come home and still have issues every 6-10k miles.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree on that assessment.. I'm betting on something else failing intermitently and finally kicking the bucket. they'll probably replace the pump and find that the car still doesn't start. It's dissapointing to hear that these techs are taking this kind of replace, replace, replace, replace approach. From these higher end techs (like most porsche trained techs) i'd expect a bit more root cause analysis.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:21 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
there are plenty of DFI cars out there since 2009 and it does not seem that anybody complained about carbon build-ups. we have heard here about oil consumption issues on early dfi cars but it seems in 2010 and 2011 no one complained about that anymore. go figure.
My car was burning a quart every 500 miles and then it stopped.....and I can't tell you why?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I doubt the techs are doing this on their own. It is not a cheap proposition and Porsche is proactively replacing a lot of fuel pumps in 09s which seem to be batch related. Sort of like the NSX snap ring issue.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by Minok
At this point I'd suspect the cause is something else entirely, not the fuel pump.

Getting a single failed HPFP is somewhat rare now. Stack up the odds of getting FOUR such failures, and you are looking at very very long odds indeed. Get struck by lightning?

Given the odds, I'd think the most likely cause is a combination of other things that are causing the pump (if it is indeed the problem) to fail.

The pump may well have failed.. but WHY. If its a design or build flaw in the pump - thats what the general concern is about and the service action is about. But if its poor installation at the dealer/mechanic, or if its a result of fuel or some other thing interacting with the pump (atmospheric, vibration, fuel lines, your air quality, who knows).. then you could replace it with perfectly good new pumps till the cows come home and still have issues every 6-10k miles.
Well, you probably have a point, but I did not get any explanation from the dealer why the fuel pump failed again. I doubt they will tell me the truth if it's a bad part of installation. They simply told me it's the pump, and they were replacing it. The car was done on the second day, pretty fast, but considering they have replaced the pump 3 times on my car, they have plenty of practice.

Since I got the car back, so I probably can't pursue the lemon law. I will see how long this pump lasts.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Agree on that assessment.. I'm betting on something else failing intermitently and finally kicking the bucket. they'll probably replace the pump and find that the car still doesn't start. It's dissapointing to hear that these techs are taking this kind of replace, replace, replace, replace approach. From these higher end techs (like most porsche trained techs) i'd expect a bit more root cause analysis.
Yah, and this time it failed more severely. The last 3 times I was able to drive the car to the dealer, in limp mode, but not this time. But what else could cause the pump to fail? Electronics?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Well, you probably have a point, but I did not get any explanation from the dealer why the fuel pump failed again. I doubt they will tell me the truth if it's a bad part of installation. They simply told me it's the pump, and they were replacing it.
And thats the key. Sure, we all agree the pump failed and thats why the car would not run.

But the real question is 'why did the pump fail'. Thats not something mechanics typically can tell you. Presumably the pumps go back to Porsche for post-mortem so they can figure out whats happening. Is the pump destroying itself or is stuff getting into the pump thats breaking it... those questions will lead to a longer term solution to the problem.

Depending on the state you live in, the lemon laws may allow you to make them buy it back. Some states' laws state that if the car is in the shop for the same reason x times over a y month period, then its a lemon and you can force them to buy it back. You having the car back may not play a role in that, since it is your car until they buy it back.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks, Minok. I will definitely look into the lemon law in California.

Quick Reply: HPFP failed for the 4th time, is it a lemon?