Sponsored by:

Question about Cab top operation

Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question about Cab top operation

Hello everyone,

When I go to close the top on my 06 cab it will go all the way to the closed position but the center latch will not attempt to lock and close. I roll up the windows and turn off the car. If I wait about 5 mins and the try to close the top again via the center console button (Top still almost closed but not latched) and now everything locks and latches as it should. Happens every single time I use the top. Has anyone experienced this? Is the latch motor on its way out? Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Car is an 06S with about 17K miles on it.

Thanks

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I have never seen that myself. Perhaps something is starting to fail. I would take it in before it fails in a less than desirable location--miles from home, and when it is starting to hail.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Ken968
Instructor

My plan was to have it looked at when the car goes in for the 20K service. I was wondering if there was a reset procedure or something that I overlooked. I don't see too many more top down days over here on the east coast, its starting to get cold already.

Thanks for the response Edgy

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I have never had the need to research that. Possibly a solenoid is going bad. Best of luck getting it sorted out. Report back pls when you get it repaired so we can learn off this.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have never had the need to research that. Possibly a solenoid is going bad. Best of luck getting it sorted out. Report back pls when you get it repaired so we can learn off this.
Will do.

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
silverbullete55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same problem happened with my top "convertible top not in limit position" plus another warning "failure convertible top ctrl.". This was happening intermittently then all of a sudden the top would not work. Took at close look at the clam shell and noticed that the latch that locks the clam shell was not properly seating and throwing the warning. You will be able to see this if you use a flash light and locate the latch at the interior rear of the car. Took some pictures with my phone camera of the warning messages and emailed them to my dealer. They fixed the problem by reseting and syncrnizing the module. Works great now.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 AM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor that powers the retractable arm failed on mine in quite spectacular fashion, it started to operate much slower than normal over a period of a couple of days before burning out, smoking and almost catching fire... All taken care of under the warranty, but it sounds like yours may be exhibiting some of the same symptoms as mine right before the part failed.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Just an update. With the weather warming up again I took the car into the shop to have the top looked at. After following my instructions, the shop was unable to replicate the problem. Despite this they recalibrated the top and it has been working normally so far. I tested it several times and it seems fine. I will let you know if the problem returns and what solutions come out of it.

Ken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Cab top operation