Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad News

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats and no lost if you keep it. The kids will fit fine in the back for years to come. If you absolutely have to have more room in back then consider trading it in for an M3 convt. We owned one thru my boys' teenage years and finally sold it for my 997.1S now that my kids are grown and have their own vehicles. GLWS and/or decision.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Keep it and for gosh sakes make it a daily driver. It's perfect for kids in the back and you couldn't ask for anything safer. What is your other car? We should all vote on this!
This is really good advice. It is completely true that kids can sit back there until around age 10. Mine has been a great DD. If you can convince the wife, keep the car!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Congratulations on the new addition. These days the 997s are fetching far more than a couple of years ago. Stay in the high 50s and see how it goes.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJPereira
It's been a while since I've last posted on this site and it's with regret that I have to make this post. We recently had a new addition to the family and my wife badly needs a new car, which means there's no room for my weekend toy.
What was the wifes "old car"?

x2 or 3 with the others.. Make the 997 a DD (either for you or her) or worst case, trade it for a C4/C4S so you can drive all winter too

Of course, you might consider a trade for a Cayenne or Panamera
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 AM
neuneleven
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the addition to your family. Regarding the car; see if you can swing changing your wife's car. Unless of course your reference is financial, changing her car does not take away physical "room" for your weekend toy. I had a third kid two months ago and when asked how I'll do it with the coupe, I have a pretty straightfoward answer: My wife and I, my kids and I, my wife and kids. Suffice to say the 911 remains my daily driver
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the great response to my post. In an attempt to answer everyone's questions, here's some more information.

My wife currently drives an '98 Chevy Venture minivan that was a handme down with many moons ago. It's now pushing over 160k miles on it and things are starting to crap out on it.

I'm looking to sell the Porsche, not because it's not convenient with the baby but because I can't afford to make daycare payments along with the new minivan for my wife and my p-car payments. When I say I can't, I mean I would be living from paycheck to paycheck and I prefer a little more financial stability.

Recently though, I may have found a free daycare option through a nearby relative and through the inlaws. If that pans out then I might keep the car. If I have to sell it, my game plan is to pay off the minivan in two years and buy another Porsche after that.

My daily driver is an '03 Saab with 200k miles on it and it took may not last too long. My daily commute to and from work is over 110 miles so I wouldn't want to use the p-car that much.

So I think my most realistic option is to sell the porsche, finish off the new minivan in two years, get myself another daily driver and in two years buy another porsche at that time. The way I look at it is that at least in two years I'll have a never porsche.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've last posted on this site and it's with regret that I have to make this post. We recently had a new addition to the family and my wife badly needs a new car, which means there's no room for my weekend toy.
Weird way to start this thread off! Just as long as the baby is healthy and this is your biggest issue, should be no regrets!
Keep it, my 3 young kids love them, going for rides, etc and are now Porsche fanatics!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Well then GLWS. Just be forewarned... the few friends I've known who sold their Porsche because of their kids got back lash from the young ones later when they came of age. We know you'll be back if you sell this one. Enjoy life with the new family member.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
pt767
Instructor

Congrats with the new addition! It's just a car....when the time is right, get another.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:50 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see someone making responsible decisions (for a change).
Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be back - I did !
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Well just wanted to let those who responded to this post know that sometimes things work out in someone's favor. I managed to get some free daycare for my son and now I won't need to sell the Porsche. Happy Days are here again.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

change the header to "GOOD NEWS"!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:34 PM
kev_song
Instructor

Congrats on the new baby! You'll be back, kids don't stay in day care forever! I took a 3 year break while I was paying for daycare for 2 kids.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Well just wanted to let those who responded to this post know that sometimes things work out in someone's favor. I managed to get some free daycare for my son and now I won't need to sell the Porsche. Happy Days are here again.
MJ - I would think long and hard about selling the P car. You need to save some money and build more of a "cushion". I am not sure if making Porsche payments today is in your best interests.

Sorry to rain on your happy moment.

Mark

Quick Reply: Sad News