Sponsored by:

oil drain pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Only note is the filter removal is tight if you do not jack it up - I think Dan suggested using a plastic bag to surround the housing before you pull it off. I just let a few drops get on the mat before I put the drain in place.

Works great.
Not a problem with the .2 as the filter housing is on top of the engine.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

I like the one from Walmart, but have used something like this for years.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...searchNav=true

Any plastic cement tub should work and they're quite sturdy. They also come in handy if you ever need to actually mix cement (here in Chicago the salt tears up your cement garage apron, so I've had to mix a couple batches of epoxy cement patch).

the medium pan holds 10 gallons, is only 6.5" high and cost about $6. I have one from my early 911 days. you have to drain the tank and the crank case and with this you could do it without moving the thing around. It's also impossible to miss the opening and splash was never an issue.

However, you need a way to dump the oil. I followed Edgy - sort of - and had a 5 gallon paint can with a spouted lid. Dump the oil in with the lid off - easy - and transport and empty with the lid/spout in place. as a plus - my mechanic heats his shop with used motor oil so they are always glad to have it.

I think this may work as well or better than your original choice.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I invested in a scissor lift, and use an orange Home Depot pail (2 actually for the 964).... I raise the 997 just enough to get the can under and let it flow... Super clean, and no spillage...

-B
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
I like the one from Walmart, but have used something like this for years.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...searchNav=true
+1 I have used the homedepot mixing tub for years... get the large one... it's cheap and works for all our vehicles from 997 to Tundra. Save your $$ for the oil.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 AM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use one like
this. this.

I used to use one like NA011's, but one year the oil came out very fast and hot, and the drain plug fell into the pan's tiny hole. Hilarity did not ensue. Simple green, kitty litter, and push broom ensued. Now I need a large oil entry point.

I don't use the open pans because I have to transport the waste oil to the nearest Auto Zone, so I need a tight lid.

And while that Griot's one looks great, it's $70. You know what I do with my oil pan when I'm done? I take it and the waste oil to Autozone, dump the oil, and let them have the pan. The pan is $10. I know, seven oil changes and it will have paid for itself. But the ability to throw away a cheap oil pan (as oppose to throwing away a $70 one) beats storing an expensive, oily one on my premises. I don't want that around 364 days of the year waiting for the one day I do the oil change. I just count it as a consumable and a cost of the oil change. While I'm buying the oil, I might as well get a pan. Still way ahead of the dealer's service.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
I use one like this.

I used to use one like NA011's, but one year the oil came out very fast and hot, and the drain plug fell into the pan's tiny hole. Hilarity did not ensue. Simple green, kitty litter, and push broom ensued. Now I need a large oil entry point.

I don't use the open pans because I have to transport the waste oil to the nearest Auto Zone, so I need a tight lid.

And while that Griot's one looks great, it's $70. You know what I do with my oil pan when I'm done? I take it and the waste oil to Autozone, dump the oil, and let them have the pan. The pan is $10. I know, seven oil changes and it will have paid for itself. But the ability to throw away a cheap oil pan (as oppose to throwing away a $70 one) beats storing an expensive, oily one on my premises. I don't want that around 364 days of the year waiting for the one day I do the oil change. I just count it as a consumable and a cost of the oil change. While I'm buying the oil, I might as well get a pan. Still way ahead of the dealer's service.
I use the same one, but I don't throw it away after each oil change.

Quick Reply: oil drain pan