sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
What are you wearing today?!?!?!
Haha too funny! Yesterday Dan and I were wearing one. Joan the day before...
Originally Posted by dwost
I also want to give a shout out to "Sharky" Mine should be arriving today! I will post up some clips once installed. I dropped the center last night in preparation and decided to fire it up. I'm now thinking I may want some sort of bypass to really wake up the neighbors from time to time. This thing sounds like a pissed off cup car! I will say getting to the top bolt on the driverside flange was a real PITA on my PSE equipped car.
Haha thanks We tried a complete muffler bypass on day 2 of owning the PDK car but the resonance darn-right almost killed me! This will be MUCH more mild If you want a side set up you can always add a cargraphic or tubi exhaust. I've got videos of both somewhere>>

Originally Posted by f4 plt
1/4 in socket long extension AND a knuckle joint between the socket and the extension...... plus some good four letter words
Hehe thanks F4 plt. That word has gotten used before I'm sure
Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A buddy from NC was visiting last weekend and took my 09 C2S for a ride and was blown away at the sound. He has the same car, just a different color, so he knows what stock sounds like. I see a Sharky bypass in his future
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

been hearing about low end torque loss on these bypasses. im sure the sound is terrific and since the saying goes quieter means more restricitons, the bypass has less of it. however we do know certain amount of restriction is needed for low end torque...what is the feel of the sharwerks bypass. maybe putting on earplugs and feeling the car would give a good gauge of the change
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been hearing from where - Telemetry data, dyno runs? I've had no low-end torque loss in fact I got a nice little bump in performance on the track (Traqmate data). We're just talking about replacing the 3rd muffler (center) with the X pipes, not actually removing "the mufflers".

It's not a night-and-day noise maker. This is a relatively subtle change as the 2 side mufflers remain in tact, as well as the stock cats.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RonCT
A buddy from NC was visiting last weekend and took my 09 C2S for a ride and was blown away at the sound. He has the same car, just a different color, so he knows what stock sounds like. I see a Sharky bypass in his future
Thanks Ron! Good to hear from you Need to send you one of those shirts too!
Originally Posted by slicky rick
been hearing about low end torque loss on these bypasses. im sure the sound is terrific and since the saying goes quieter means more restricitons, the bypass has less of it. however we do know certain amount of restriction is needed for low end torque...what is the feel of the sharwerks bypass. maybe putting on earplugs and feeling the car would give a good gauge of the change
hey slicky rick... actually the only time you'll see tq loss down low is on a full bypass (no mufflers) or with higher-flow cats/headers since there's a significant change in back pressure that way.

997.1s also suffer from low end tq loss with a bypass since they don't use any of the two mufflers. The 997.2 has three and with ours you still use the two side ones. I believe there are other designs that other companies had made/sold and stated that with an X/connection there was a slight loss. We kept our pipes independent just like the factory center and didn't induce any restriction that way. We simply made the flow straighter vs the u-bends.

Here's an example dyno:
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

thanks alex. with your good following here, no reason to doubt your honesty in answering the query. now i just have to find a way to get those pipes to me..all the way here in southeast asia. which gives me an idea...will pm you alex.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by slicky rick
thanks alex. with your good following here, no reason to doubt your honesty in answering the query. now i just have to find a way to get those pipes to me..all the way here in southeast asia. which gives me an idea...will pm you alex.
hi slicky rick absolutely this place is great for airing questions and stuff. I do see a lot of folks forgetting that indeed the engine/exhaust layout is completely different for the 997.1 and 997.2. There's always confusion too since our exhaust section won't work on the 997.1 but indeed on those cars doing a "muffler bypass" is a) really, really loud lol! and be) there is so much of a change in back pressure that a low-end tq loss occurs on those cars. Also indeed there are different ways to tackle the exhaust on the .2. My favorite to date has to be the PSE with something like ours in the middle

As far as southeast asia we actually ship our parts all over and have sent a few to Singapore, Hong Kong etc.. before. I'll check the PM...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 832 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I installed the by pass on my '09 C2S about 2.5 years ago and it has been great from day one and 23,500 miles later. Still looks like new. Never any drone in the cockpit and as said, great sound. For those that have not tried it, it takes about an hour to take the OEM muffler off and install the by pass pipes. I did it with the car on the ground. Great improvement
Mine should arrive tomorrow!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Mine should arrive tomorrow!
And don't forget the rubber shark
Old 09-16-2011, 06:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I installed the Sharkwerks by-pass pipes today to replace the center muffler. The car sounds MUCH better. The exhaust is louder and has a deeper, more guttural sound to it. Sorry no sound clips. They are too inconsistent and subjective anyway.

Thanks to Sharky (Alex) for getting these to me BEFORE I picked up the car.

Alex was very helpful :
Sharky is definitley a great guy to deal with.
Nothing but good things to say about him and his group.

We also have center muffler bypass, but it makes little difference to my ear.
Surprisingly little IMO.

We are going to have Darin @ FD Motorosports work his magic on the stock muffler cans to improve the tone and increase the Db level

He sells primarily to the 993 market, but will also do "modern cars"

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page1456.htm

Craig
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
dwost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update. I installed the cross pipe last Wednesday and really like the enhancement in sound. It now has a nice deep raspy burble when the PSE is active. When not active it sounds like it did with the PSE active before the swap. I've already received complements on the sound from a couple individuals. I spent a good hour last weekend just cruising around and did my best to find every possible underpass just so I could let it go and hear it echo off the walls. What a melodious sound I can't say that I feel any real difference in performance but it also doesn't feel as if I lost any. If anything it may pull a bit harder around 5K but that also could just be mental. Overall I highly recommend it and also dealing with Sharkwerks. They are top notch! Oh and the tee shirt and shark ROCK! Thanks again Alex.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:56 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
And don't forget the rubber shark
Oh yeah..... I got a Hammer Head Shark.

Alex, were you trying to tell me something????

Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dwost
Just a quick update. I installed the cross pipe last Wednesday and really like the enhancement in sound. It now has a nice deep raspy burble when the PSE is active. When not active it sounds like it did with the PSE active before the swap. I've already received complements on the sound from a couple individuals. I spent a good hour last weekend just cruising around and did my best to find every possible underpass just so I could let it go and hear it echo off the walls. What a melodious sound I can't say that I feel any real difference in performance but it also doesn't feel as if I lost any. If anything it may pull a bit harder around 5K but that also could just be mental. Overall I highly recommend it and also dealing with Sharkwerks. They are top notch! Oh and the tee shirt and shark ROCK! Thanks again Alex.
Thanks for the update dwost and so glad you like it! We're doing a GTS today with the PSE and ours so looking forward to hearing that sound again (been a couple of weeks since the last one here!).

Glad you like the shark heh!

Originally Posted by gota911
Oh yeah..... I got a Hammer Head Shark.

Alex, were you trying to tell me something????

Haha that's right man! Hammerhead's are "different"

Originally Posted by cgfen
Sharky is definitley a great guy to deal with.
Nothing but good things to say about him and his group.

We also have center muffler bypass, but it makes little difference to my ear.
Surprisingly little IMO.

We are going to have Darin @ FD Motorosports work his magic on the stock muffler cans to improve the tone and increase the Db level

He sells primarily to the 993 market, but will also do "modern cars"

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page1456.htm

Craig
Will be interesting to see how it turns out! The way we made it was so that it would work with the OE side mufflers or PSE... Indeed we've done a few experiments with the Tubi side and Cargraphic side mufflers too. Here's a couple of clips:

Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
Thanks for the update dwost and so glad you like it! We're doing a GTS today with the PSE and ours so looking forward to hearing that sound again (been a couple of weeks since the last one here!).
That would be me. The sound is soooo much better w/ the bypass. I second what everyone else has said about it - it just sounds much more like what you'd expect a Carrera so sound like. It's probably too soon to tell, however, no one has complimented me on the sound b/c they get hung up on the color. Great experience, great product, highly recommend. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BP just arrived today for my GTS...now it needs to get sharkified!

Quick Reply: Installed the Sharkwerks Pipes which replaces the 997.2 center muffler