Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a purchase, any last thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done about (5) long distance purchases. From Houston to Danbury, CT and Chicago in between. I also made the trip myself and while nothing was ever a deal breaker I always found undisclosed items missed in the PPI. No second key, missing remote CD changer, etc.

If I couldn't inspect the car myself I would send a trusted member of this forum with a paint meter at a minimum.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:44 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr2001
Just a few comments that I learned in my recent experience purchasing long distance. If you have the high resolution pictures from all angles, interior, etc you should be ok, especially if you trust the dealer(or dealer rep) that did the PPI. Next, have the dealer pull the Car Fax for you if possible - they usually pay a fee for the service annually and can pull it for "free" (this is up to you if you want to ask). A buddy of mine is a car salesman (he pulled my carfax for free) and told me that carfax and autocheck can be a joke - as he has seen cars with frame damage come into the dealership even though the report was clean. This of course is just additional info, so do not rely on the information expressly. When I sold my car recently, I was honest and told the perspective buyer it had been rear ended at slow speed - but no frame damage. He was surprised because he pulled a carfax and it did not show up.

I was completely satisfied with my long distance purchase - it was my first long distance transaction and I was very nervous, but in the end everything was as advertised or better. First time I saw the car was when I was picking it up. Trust your gut.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mark
Totally right about CarFax. I test drove 2 different 997s at a dealer, both had clean CarFax reports. BOTH also had extensive paint work.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:14 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

You should consider getting an indy to do the PPI vs. the dealer. The dealer has a vested interest in moving this car. Also fly out to inspect it yourself. I did a long distant purchase this way(Austin - Newport, CA) and the indy saved me thousands of $$$ in potential headaches. The dealer insured me that the car was perfect, they did the PPI, provided a clean DME, it was a CPO'd car, plus covered by warranty, blah, blah, blah... the indy found an RMS leak, a broken tailpipe($600). I still purchased the car but I had the dealer replace the RMS seal and tailpipe before I would take delivery and I negotiated another $1K off for their BS. The $300 indy PPI fee was well worth it. Make sure you get a DME printout from the dealer. I know it's tough to be patient but don't blow your wade(of cash)... remember you'll have to live with her for years afterwards. And have fun with it... take your time. I made ~14 offers before finding my perfect ride at the right price. GLWP
Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Don't trust reeves. Before I bought my TT I was looking at C4S' and they had a nice one. Working the deal, etc. and asked if it had any paintwork. Of course not was the response, I personally walked around with a paint meter. Bottom line, they were lying. Car had accident history.
Atlas grey car? Had a bad experience too there earlier this year.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Autocheck by experian always seems to uncover more than carfax. Carfax has marketed their way to popularity.
Agreed. I was looking at a Cayenne GTS at the Porsche dealer in Fargo (Valley Imports). They sent me the CarFax that showed a clean history and I specifically asked about accidents and body work. While negotiating with them, I saw that they had the car listed on ebay. ebay automatically generates an AutoCheck when you do a listing and it showed an accident. When I pointed this out to the dealer they all of a sudden "discovered" that the previous owner had mentioned the accident when he traded in the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by autopc
Totally right about CarFax. I test drove 2 different 997s at a dealer, both had clean CarFax reports. BOTH also had extensive paint work.
If paint work was "voluntary" (ie. fixing a scratch or small dent, repaint/replace a bumper due to a minor incident with no insurance claim or police report, etc.) I do not believe that Carfax or Autocheck has any way to pick it up.

Quick Reply: Making a purchase, any last thoughts???