Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure problem - Software or Sensor?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I put in high pressures, then drive the car untill maximum hot. like 70-80 mph on 125 drg asphalt.
then reduce the pressures untill the rears are 43-44 and fronts 40-41, doesnt matter what the cold pressure is.
my cold usually are around 36-39
Old 06-05-2017, 03:46 PM
SDCLTD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPM Monitor Fault

My 2012 997.2 TPMS worked great until the annoyance of the Track warnings became too distractive.

So, we disabled the TPM 'system' using the Durametric Pro, and concurrently removed the TPMS Stem Valves from the Wheels, as well as removing the TPM Monitor 'Box' which is located next to the Master Brake Cylinder - following all 'instruction' we had received perfectly! So far - so good! No warning messages, and thereafter the system [correctly] did not display that we had the TPM available or installed. All as 'expected' - and no erroneous warning lights when we 'Tracked'.

We thought we were pretty smart - and used various sources including this 'Thread' - to research and perform what we did. [No implied disparaging comments intended - in fact, most Porsche owners have learned more from what all of us have shared on these threads versus contacting several 'Certified' experts.] Which is one reason I am posting this experience - so we can all learn.

With that stated, a few months later we changed tires. And, we 'missed' not seeing the tire pressure information on our display when we didn't Track the car. So, we had the TPMS Stem Valves reinstalled [in fact, a brand new set purchased from a Porsche dealership] concurrently with the new tires. We then 're-enabled' or programed the TPM 'system' using the Durametric, and 're-plugged' in the TPM Monitoring Box. Essentially, we backtracked 'perfectly' what we had done to eliminate the annoyance of the TPM error messages we only received when we Tracked the car. After that, the computer acknowledges that we have TPM installed/available, however, the monitor only displays the following message: 'TPM Monitor Failure'. And, we have a continuous warning light & message - exactly what we first intended to eliminate when we Tracked the car. The system acknowledges that we have TPM installed, but never goes into the 'Learning' mode. We've spoken to one source who stated that since we operated the car for an extended period without the TPMS stem valves installed, that it will take 50+/- miles for it to 'Learn'. So Far - 'No Bueno'- After 120+/miles. Previously, whenever we'd change tires the TPMS 'Learning' time was only 5+/- minutes of driving. Easy Peasy! We expected the same.

I am confident that it's a 'self induced' problem - so I'll be the 1st to admit that you have to be smarter than the computer. Yet, we've backtracked & re-enabled the system twice with the new tires & stem valve monitors installed, all with the same result.

So, after 150+/- miles of no change, and to avoid the continuous error message on the display, we again used the Durametric to instruct the computer that the TPM system was not installed. This has eliminated the warning lights, and the display correctly indicates that we do not have the TPM system. Our only thought is that we may have unintentionally caused a problem with the TPM Monitoring Box unplugging & re-plugging it in. [That's an assumption only.]

I only share all of this for 'confessional' purposes. We intend to 'out-stubborn' the problem & will share the results with the 'Tread'. Yet - we have no 'Pride' - and if anyone can offer any suggestions, we would welcome their receipt.

Moreover, we've always found the TPMS to be pretty accurate with the 997.2.

P.S. If you're using the Michelin Sport Cup 2 'N Spec' tires, the recommended 'Road' PSI is F33/R39 'Half Load - Cold'. We've found this tire to be great for both the Street & Track. Michelin has a great 'post' on this tire advising on the best 'grip' tire pressures.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Whitesheep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent thread. I have a similar issue with my '14 981. Warning signs I am -6 on pass rear to only check just fine both manually and when viewing the absolute pressure on the TPMS screen!

How can a tire be low when the actual display is right on the 29 called for in all four tires. Reset lasts for the duration of that ignition cycle, then we start all over again.

This is a CPO car so I will have to take it in, but I would like some idea of how this can happen if anyone knows. It is interesting that the pass rear appears to start this issue with everyone. Do you suppose it is the same pass rear on right drive cars? ie the other side?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Britjunkie
Intermediate

I gave up and had the TPMS decoded, removed the box, but still have the sensors in the wheels. I'm happy without all the gadgets, especially when with new sensors, all of them read 4 psi low and I had to overinflated the tires to get the warnings to stop, My back is much happier and I'll remove the sensors at the next tire change
Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after running over a exceptionally rough patch of road (center divide rumble strip and botts dots) I'm having issues with the FL. The wheel sensotr appears to be fine. Where are the transmitters [8] and antenna [10] located?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Whitesheep
Intermediate

Default New Information

Checked the pressure the other day in my 95 deg F garage and all 4 tires were at 28 lbs. I reset them all to 29 with a known good gauge and the TPMS warning didn't show when I started the car. Really? 1 lb when the TPMS said I was 6 low?

More new information. I just took a pleasure drive of 90 minutes on the vacant desert highways NW of Phoenix this morning and the pressure got up to 32 and was at that level in all 4 tires when I pulled into the garage. No TPMS warning when I turned off the car. It is 95 deg in the garage again today (100+ outside) and the pressure checked with the known gauge was right on except for the right rear which was 1/2 lb down. I am interested in what happens when I fire the Cayman up next.

Problem solved? Stay tuned.:
Old 07-08-2017, 12:59 AM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

solved my issue with a new Huf sensor #RDE011V21. The brains of the dead one must have gotten scrambled from the vibration as the battery was 100% just a couple months ago when checked when new tires went on.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

My front left is always -4 plus a warning in yellow despite being 34/33 front and 37/37 rear.....The wheel I have a problem with is newly refinished, and took a hard-hit on the highway when I ran over a pothole. Taco'd the wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure problem - Software or Sensor?