Sponsored by:

Cross country trip advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:58 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Cross country trip advice?

I have a great opportunity to take a long road trip in the 997. My folks moved to Nashville a few months ago and I have some time coming up to take a few weeks off and drive out to see them. You may ask: "Why drive when you can fly?" The answer is: "Because I have a 997." The trip is about 2400 miles one way for a total of about 5K miles. I plan to take two weeks or so for the trip/visit. Since I'm leaving from the Bay Area, it looks like most of the trip is done on I-40 across California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and then on to Tennessee.
I was wondering if anyone has done a lot of traveling on these sections of I-40 before and had any advice on great places to visit or stop along the way. I plan to do about 600-700 miles a day. Should be a blast and a good trip for me to bond even further with my car.

Last edited by 997at; 08-30-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Having a house in Okla City for many years and one in Santa Barbara, CA I know I40 more than anyone probably. If you come down 101 you can save a lot of time by taking Rt 126 at Ventura inland toward Castaic Junction, then via I5 briefly and then Rt 14 toward Lancaster/Palmdale. Take backroads (Pearblossom Highway) to get to Barstow. Then you're on your way to I40. I routinely would take two days from SB to OKC, with an overnight in Williams, Arizona. Speeds are decent across Arizona and New Mexico but be careful not to push your luck. Let others pass you so that they can trip the highway patrol traps. Usually there are many Arizona police near Kingman, Az. 1-2 in Flagstaff. Roads are really quite nice, with good alignment and decent stops. There is an excellent truck stop in New Mexico several miles west of Gallup (North side of I40). In fact, there are many excellent truck stops along the way--high fuel turnover, so it is good and fresh. Years ago finding premium fuel on I40 was tough, so I had to leapfrog across the route from one specific station to another--I don't see that as a problem so much anymore.

From a touring perspective, consider the town of Williams, Arizona. They have a couple of nice steak places in town. Meteor Crater is also worth checking out later in Arizona. Albuquerque is loaded with much to see, but be careful WEST of town as you are on a downward portion of I40. The police are ALWAYS heavily patrolling this area. Always. They have a great cable car north of the city that takes you up to a couple of fine restaurants. The views are spectacular, particularly in the evenings. East of Albuquerque you'll go through the little town of Santa Rosa. It is one place most people drive by. It's the "SCUBA Capitol of the Southwest." South of I40 along the Pecos River is a small artesian aquafer that empties into the Pecos River in Santa Rosa. Divers use the "Blue Hole" year around to dive in some of the clearest water this side of the Caribbean. It's 5 minutes off I40 and a good time for a break. As you approach Tucumcari you will encounter another police trap. There is ALWAYS a trap in that area--at the exit for Rt 209. Amarillo is always a good fuel stop--plenty of competition and good prices. Well into Oklahoma is a rare opportunity to drive down below the local elevation. Red Rock Canyon is a beautiful place to drive through, and enjoy a picnic. It's found at I40 and Hinton--go south of that intersection until you find the signs. It takes you into a beautiful canyon, approximately 100-150 feet below the local plains. From here on you're close to OKC. Not much to suggest other than seeing the SE part of town known as Brick Town.

If you need auto repairs along the way suggest that you take a copy of the PCA Panorama magazine that lists local contacts throughout the USA. I have many friends in the local OKC Porsche community--and they are the friendliest you will ever find! I40 toward Little Rock is outstanding--really nice roads. Ditto for Tennessee.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
I have a great opportunity to take a long road trip in the 997. My folks moved to Nashville a few months ago and I have some time coming up to take a few weeks off and drive out to see them. You may ask: "Why drive when you can fly?"[...]
Hmmm. I would have reversed that question personally, unless you were taliking about a private plane. But you made a good choice. That is a good stretch to drive.
I was wondering if anyone has done a lot of traveling on these sections of I-40 before and had any advice on great places to visit or stop along the way. I plan to do about 600-700 miles a day. Should be a blast and a good trip for me to bond even further with my car.
I've been driving it off and on for sixty years and I can't find anything useful to add to what Edgy tells you. He's a lot more current that I am because I've been a lot more 'off' than 'on' cross-country travel since retiring. There are more entertaining roads to reach Palmdale than the I-5/I-14 combination after you leave Route 126, but if you expect to make that many miles each day, entertaining isn't something you can shoot for every mile. Enjoy Rt126 as Edgy says, and then relax and freeway it to Palmdale. At least they are pleasant mountain freeways and not heavy traffic by LA standards.

I might quibble about Pearblossom Highway since it takes you through a lot of suburban traffic, but it is the shortest way to reach Ca18, which in turn takes you to I-40. As a local, I don't use it, but I'm not sure you want to set off across the desert on the roads I do use. (All well paved and lightly traveled, but I'd have make a map in Google Earth to give you a chance to reach I-40 on your first try.)

Great trip. I think you'll love it. Post a report when you can.

Gary
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took a similar cross country trip last winter in our Range Rover. We didn't want to miss out on the scenery, so I planned a maximum of 500 miles for each leg and we only drove during the day.

Depending on your route, there are some excellent places to stay. If you drive through Palm Springs, Le Parker Meridien is very nice. We also liked the W Hotel in Scottsdale. The Four Seasons in Scottsdale is a good resort and you don't have to valet your car, but there's more activity at the W. If you drive near Sedona, there is a L'Auberge hotel here that looks nice, although we haven't tried this one yet. We did stay at the Auberge Encantado in Santa Fe, we liked this one so much we spent an extra night.

Enjoy your vacation.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I have a great opportunity to take a long road trip in the 997. My folks moved to Nashville a few months ago and I have some time coming up to take a few weeks off and drive out to see them. You may ask: "Why drive when you can fly?" The answer is: "Because I have a 997." The trip is about 2400 miles one way for a total of about 5K miles. I plan to take two weeks or so for the trip/visit. Since I'm leaving from the Bay Area, it looks like most of the trip is done on I-40 across California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and then on to Tennessee.
I've driven that route -- though not as far as Nashville -- more times than I can count.

I live in the bay area in the Livermore area so I generally take I-580 to 130 and over to Modesto and 99. However if one stays on I-205 through Tracy and follows it over to 99 that ain't a bad route either.

Depending upon when you leave and the traffic you can just follow I-580 to I-5. Cut over to 99 from I-5 though on 46.

From Bakersfield to Barstow I follow 58. The road is divided most of the way so you can make good time, though if you end up in the 'Vegas' traffic in some places 58 and its in places just 2 lanes with a 55mph speed limit sucks.

From Barstow then it is I-40 all the way.

I use the big truck stops or name brand gas stations for fuel. Keep an eye on fluids and tires.

Bears (CHP or state police in other states) can be anywhere. I use a V1 and a hand-held CB radio to listen to the truckers give each other warnings about 'bear traps' and upcoming road/weather conditions.

In AZ the speed limit is 75mph (save for a few areas like Flagstaff) where it is lower. These areas with the limit posted below 65mph can be heavily enforced. I always slow down to 65mph or whatever the limit is. Same goes for construction zones.

Watch out at all times for road debris. Mainly truck tire carcasses (Detroit alligators). Hit one and you can blow a tire or bust a radiator. If you swerve you can lose control of the car.

I do not not deviate too much from the main highway so I don't know many side trips or places of interest along the route. There's the AZ crater off of I-40 and lots of state prisons...

How far I drive a day depends upon how tired or not I am. I've driven as far as Flagstaff a few times (though I've stopped at William (nice) or even Kingman (ok) -- there's not much between Flagstaff and Gallup NM and that's a long long haul so I stop at Flagstaff if not before.

Oh, fill up in Barstow and skip Needles gas stations unless you like paying an arm and a leg for gas. You can make it to Kingman easy on a tank of gas.

The next night if I get a good start and make good time can have me in Oklahoma somewhere either just west or east of OKC.

The next night has me at my destination. Total one way mileage is around 2K miles.

Be aware your car stands out like a sore thumb. If the bear hears the radar gun go off when he looks up he's going to see your car and no other.

In TX the night time speed limit is 65mph and strictly enforced.

In fact in every state you drive through the speed limit will be strictly enforced, day or night. I've gotten pulled over for 10mph over in my Turbo while minivans were passing my car going faster. But the bear only had eyes for the Turbo. No doubt wanted to make an example out of the bad old sports car driver.

I spotted bear in the air on I-40 between Barstow and Needles. The air unit needs ground units so there'll be one or more ground units. If you see one or two just parked on the shoulder... they're probably waiting for the bear in the air to tell them which vehicles to pull over.

Lane discipline is generally good once out of CA. (Cell phone usage though while driving is legal in most other states and that's a bummer.)

However, I-40 can be rough -- mainly from heavy truck wear and tear -- in the slow lane not only in CA (both lanes of that section of 58 just before the state line of AZ sucks big time!) but across AZ and NM and every state for that matter, so often I stay in the fast lane but keep an eye out and when someone is coming up I move over and let them go by.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:36 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
In TX the night time speed limit is 65mph and strictly enforced.
As a result of a recently passed law, the lower night time speed limits in Texas go away tomorrow (September 1st, 2011), although it is estimated it will take until at least the end of the year to remove all of the night time speed limit signs.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend getting one of the compact spare tires - either the inflated Boxster version or the deflated 996 version for a trip of that length.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to go (very) fast, go across Nevada on US 50. Basically it is a straight, smooth and flat line through the wasteland of Nevada. No cops; nowhere for them to hide. It is a long days drive from Lake Tahoe to the Western end of I70. It's two lane with wide shoulders. No traffic. Get gas when you can.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I am an expert on arkansas, just been there last month, get off 40 and see hot springs, great roads,go 40 at russellville south on scenic 7 south to HS
or get off at Ozark and go north on 23, scenic pig trail, one of the best there is, north to eureka springs, fantastic scenery and wild roads to drive
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I pretty much drive when I have to travel domestically; for example, going from Bigfork, MT to Houston next week. I'll take the Rover for that one though, then bringing a 911 back from Montana to Colorado in October.

I'm curious why you'd want to drone down the interstate in your 911 when you could use secondary roads and make a few more turns. I know the jaunt from here to Castle Rock, CO via back roads only adds a couple of hours and actually cuts the mileage by 10%.

It's your trip, but I love to make them memorable for the out of the way roads and towns along the way.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I drove cross country, mostly on highway 10 I believe, and it was boring as hell in my 993.

Long, mostly straight highway with the cruise control on is boring in any car, imho.

I wouldn't do it again.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Macster, on your handheld CB, do you have an external antenna? I have taken hand held w/o antenna and never hear anything.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

Guys,
Thanks a ton for all the great info on what I'm sure is going to be a great trip. I plan to incorporate as much of the places to stay and things to do you guys have suggested since I won't be in a time crunch. I'm hoping to take the trip in a few weeks, and plan to take tons of pics for posting.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

The one thing I recall about I-40 was the lack of rest stops. Through part of OK during some construction I take a Nav guided detour on a parallel SR that was very nice. I stayed in Kingman, OKC and St Louis. My favorite states were PA and VA.

Got broken into in Albuquerque =(

Have fun!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Speaking of cross-country trips. One of my most favorites was in my 1981 Turbo when I covered thousands of miles in a month--and stayed off the freeways. THAT'S the way to see and appreciate America. But, you have to have the time for that.

Quick Reply: Cross country trip advice?