Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo S Spyder Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

That day glo stuff looks silly I think. But, to each their own.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
That day glo stuff looks silly I think. But, to each their own.
Agreed. A bit over the top for me, too.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:54 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duke92
It's like those license plate frames that read " My other car is a _______ " except in neon yellow on the doors and seats. Don't like either one! Proves the old adage: "A fool and his money are soon parted!"
I think that most accurately sums it up. There's obviously people in marketing at PCNA who know there demo for stuff like that. Certainly ain't me. Jerry??? Jay???
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default let them spend...thanks for posting

If they have it let them spend it, makes the world go around and the economy... could they spend it on better things? sure..... and who knows maybe they do as well... but I never hate on a buyer cause they spent to much assuming they have the $ (didn't borrow it and will default in a year...) .... Porsche makes $ to go back into RD for cars the masses can afford, dealer gets a cut and stays in biz to visit when car shopping, sales guy makes a commish, detail shop gets a few new clients cars, and on and on it goes....

Not for me, but happy to see it and thanks for posting... many will never see that car in person, nice find!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Still heluva car! Maybe I wouldn't pay the premium for it, but it's still a monster Turbo S. I wouldn't kick her out of bed...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW911
Wow I remember reading about this and thought it was just another Porsche marketing gimmick. I didn't expect anyone would actually buy one!
IIRC all of these cars (997.2 TTS Spyder edition) have been purchased when ordering the 918 Spyder.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

what ego would be happy with one of these? it's embarrassing. look at the interior. look at the instrument dials.
anybody who likes this, doesn't know what they are looking at.
yes it's fast. but so is a plain-jane version.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM
bbbradley
Advanced

Ooooffff! That accent color is simply awful. IMO it ruins the car. Doesn't shock me that it goes to someone in Texas though.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Maybe a dumb question by me, but are these cars all going to be the same or did the buyer spec this color combo out?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Graphics aside, why didn't the dealer take off the dreadful amber side markers as soon as it came off the truck?

Look at it this way, the 918 is a one million dollar car and if you buy one you get a free Turbo Spyder (or whatever it is called).
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 PM
summit81
Intermediate

I like it. There is nothing wrong with a Porsche that looks and is excessive, although I probably would not be interested in the Spyder 918. At a certain point, you are better off just getting a truck and a race car. Bling cars are just bling. That said, I am eyeballing the Panamera Turbo S. It is hard to break the Porsche habit.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This is one marketing excerciese that just doesn't make sense. Anyone that buys one and doesn't have a 918 Spyder on order is....well you know

Just wrong on all counts. I bet any dealer would be willing to say the same.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
If they have it let them spend it, makes the world go around and the economy... could they spend it on better things? sure..... and who knows maybe they do as well... but I never hate on a buyer cause they spent to much assuming they have the $ (didn't borrow it and will default in a year...) .... Porsche makes $ to go back into RD for cars the masses can afford, dealer gets a cut and stays in biz to visit when car shopping, sales guy makes a commish, detail shop gets a few new clients cars, and on and on it goes....

Not for me, but happy to see it and thanks for posting... many will never see that car in person, nice find!
I agree with Mick. Get off the puritan kick, guys. Look at your own car key. The typical Porsche Boxster, a Boxster for all love, goes out the door for a lot more than most people can afford to spend on a family car, let alone a sports car. Try explaining what we pay for a new Carrera and watch people's eyes glaze over. Why the big resentment about somebody paying a couple of hundred for a Turbo S? Honestly, I doubt that car is much more expensive than any Turbo S. Anyone priced one recently? Bet they didn't add more than twenty percent for the hand-assembled, limited-production aspect.

Mind you, I think the hideous color of edamame beans was chosen to appeal to the Green party back home in Germany and to sympathizers elsewhere. Having it on a 918 show car causes headaches (if you look) but is understandable. Having it on one's own car is like ordering a car with political bumper stickers enameled on where the rest of us have chrome or carbon accents.

That nonsense aside, what's the big deal? The comments on this thread remind me of people in Newport Beach in the fifties complaining about "all the rich bastards with their yachts." Nice logic. Three quarters of the community in those days got their pay checks from building, maintaining, or housing yachts. Why would we want people to stop spending money to buy them?

This is the same thing. Exactly the same for us on this forum. The overhead for "being Porsche" is a bloody big nut to crack. If they can sell a few dozen hypercars to underwrite the research any car maker in Europe must do on hybrid technology right now, then it's less overhead on our Carrera models. And if they want to sell those 918's, then letting the owners have a custom Turbo S (for the price of course) makes perfect marketing sense. Even when the 918 cars arrive, they won't be for picking up cement or the kids from school so the Turbo S gives them a practical car. Furthermore, they can't ship 918's yet but they can ship a few more Turbos and it helps soften the blow of putting someone on an indefinite waiting list.

Hell, they might go out and buy a yacht with that money instead! This way, they help fund my next Carrera. Indirectly.

Gary
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This is one marketing excerciese that just doesn't make sense. Anyone that buys one and doesn't have a 918 Spyder on order is....well you know

Just wrong on all counts. I bet any dealer would be willing to say the same.
That's impossible, you can only get one of these if you have a 918 on order.

I love all the haters. Not saying I would get this car if I could afford a 918, but Porsche is not shameless. Not sure its "classy". But is a gold rolex with diamonds classy? Is a red Ferrari classy? Is a laptop with the Ferrari logo classy? Is a Vertu phone classy? Some say, that some people have more money than class, when they buy x or it cheapens the brand. Maybe, but not to those that buy this stuff.

They are only offering it to those that buy the 918.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

A lot of us purchase items that are out of reach of others and never think about it. I was at an exhaust manufacturing facility years ago watching a new material we had developed being made into tubing for the then new ZR1. An operator came up to me while I was taking notes and tapped my wrist. I turned and he didn't say anything so I went back to my notes. He then tapped my watch and I thought he wanted to know the time. Before I could say anything anything he said 'you make too much.' I never wore a Rolex in a plant again after that situation.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo S Spyder Pics