Sponsored by:

Clutch Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issues?

06 S with 78k on her. I have always had the issue of 1 out 10 times you can’t engage first without hitting another gear first or just starting over. But over the last few thousand miles it has gotten much worse and when cold and you’re traveling 20mph or so it struggles to change from 1st to 2nd. I tested the clutch with the 30MPH 4th gear uphill test and the clutch does not slip. Could it be the linkage, Throughout Bearing, ??? I had the trans fluid changed about 5k mile ago could it be under filled? Seems if I pump the clutch pedal twice first it almost never fails.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Old 08-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Although Porsche replaced the first two synchros with steel on the 997 trannys, there is a chance that the tranny was abused. Are you the original owner?

The clutch assist gets its fluid from the brake fluid--I assume it's all topped up.

Since you have performed a clutch slippage test, it can't be that.

It's the struggle from 1 to 2 that troubles me the most. We know that they are a little baulky when cold.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwave
06 S with 78k on her. I have always had the issue of 1 out 10 times you can’t engage first without hitting another gear first or just starting over. But over the last few thousand miles it has gotten much worse and when cold and you’re traveling 20mph or so it struggles to change from 1st to 2nd. I tested the clutch with the 30MPH 4th gear uphill test and the clutch does not slip. Could it be the linkage, Throughout Bearing, ??? I had the trans fluid changed about 5k mile ago could it be under filled? Seems if I pump the clutch pedal twice first it almost never fails.

Thanks in advance

Dave
Based on your comments my belief is the clutch is not releasing fully and is dragging and this can cause difficulty in shifting from one gear to the next or can cause difficulty from say shifting from neutral to 1st.

When was the last time the brake and clutch hydraulic fluid was flushed/bled?

It should be done every 2 years.

Even if 'recently' I'd consider having this done again to be sure the right fluid is used, the job done right, to see if this helps.

However, before you sign on the dotted line talk to the tech about the reason why you thinking of having this done and see what his advice/recommendation is.

This symptom might be known to him and he might be able to suggest a fix, though one that requires (for example) replacing the clutch master/slave cylinder vs. the cheaper (though in this case useless) clutch fluid flush/bleed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Edgy and Macster,
Great feed back. I am the original onwer and while evry one of the 78k miles have been aggressive it’s not until lately that the effort has caused a few lite grinds from 1 to 2 when cold and 3-4 when cold and we are talking about just the first time you make those changes when starting for the day. Next time through the gears is much better. I’ll check the brake fluid I did not know that was tied to the clutch assist system and my front brakes and rotor are ready to be replaced. That seems to be logical seeing how pumping the pedal twice cures the issue. I am also ready for the brake fluid to be change it’s been a little over 2 years and as far as I now the clutch hydraulic fluid has not been touched.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

I replaced the front rotors and pads and the issue is much better. Still there but not nearly as bad as before the change. I still need to do the rear pads and the brake fluid flush but the brake fluid tank is almost full. Here is an observation that maybe someone can expand on. Since the trouble with shifting into first has been random from day one but worse with the lower level of brake fluid could the cause to all the other 997 out there that have had this issue from early on be a weak Master Cylinder? If this were Spinal Tap I’d suggest turning the **** to Eleven so it is better than Ten. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issues?