Sponsored by:

Steering wheel off center

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Darkalley36
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Steering wheel off center

OK so i am new to the club. i picked up a certified 08 C4s with 8 months of bumper to bumper warranty and 2 years cpo. Car has 11,000 miles on it. When i test drove the car i failed to notice the steering wheel was slightly off center. The car tracks perfectly straight if you don't hold the wheel and allow it to be slightly crooked (i mean like a 1/2 inch off center max). The dealer did an alignment on the car a few weeks ago and from what I have read they must have failed to center the wheel after the alignment. They are very apologetic and said a new alignment (with special attention to the steering wheel) will fix it. Does this sound correct?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. That would be the 1st thing to check.

T.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a common issue when an alignment is done and is caused by sloppy work on the part of the tech. The very first thing they are supposed to do before starting the alignment is to make sure the steering wheel is dead straight. Simple thing that an apology doesn't correct. When a dealer selling high end cars does it there is no excuse for apologies for sloppy work. But, apart from my feelings on the subject of sloppy mechanics, it can be rectified with a second trip to the shop to have what should have been done correctly the first time done again. Just don't leave the shop this time until they get it right because their is an excellent chance that the same guy that did the first alignment will be correcting the steering wheel position for you.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel off center