Sponsored by:

New to the forums and back into Porsche ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New to the forums and back into Porsche ownership

Let me allow myself to introduce myself….
I just purchased a 2007 targa 4S, nicely optioned and only 14,900 miles. Bought it out of Phoenix, AZ and flew down & drove it back home to Salt Lake City a few weeks ago. I have lusted after the 997s since they arrived and was smitten when I drove a local targa that was for sale back in July and couldn’t rest until I had one.

This is my 3rd Porsche. Prior cars were a ’02 & ’03 Boxster S. Sold the '03 S when the first child arrived and just didn’t have room for it. Feels great to have a P-car back in the garage! My kids are 5 ½ and almost 3 and they LOVE riding in the targa. I’ve ordered 2 Recaro Vivos so they will be safe & snug in the back. I also added the Mobridge Bluetooth & iPod system.

For the past 10 years I have owned & modded 4 different B5 Audi S4s (the V6 bi-turbo) and my ’08 Audi RS4 (Avus silver/titanium pkg). I sold my 500 whp avant last year. It was scary fast and did extremely well at the track for a wagon. Other than being red, it was quite a sleeper. Here’s a few pics of the avant & my RS4. The RS4 now has tint, clear headlights & theEuro front bumper to get rid of the orange reflectors. The best part is I installed exhaust dumps w/ an electric switch under the seat so I can go from stock exhaust to no mufflers. It’s loud and sounds awesome!

I’ve done about 12 track days at Miller Motorsports Park with the Utah Audi Club (I am currently the treasurer) and eventually want to get a dedicated track car. I don’t plan on tracking the targa. I really want to get a dedicated track car someday…..

Anyways, thanks to those that make this such a great forum. I’ve been searching for a few weeks for car seat info, Bluetooth/iPod integration and the only issue I seem to have with the car is the TPMS is a bit finicky. I keep getting the -4 warning on the same tire. Despite the tire pressure being just fine. Reset works but it comes back in a few days. I have the VAG cable for my Audi and I have disabled the TPMS in the RS4 and will probably end up disabling it in the targa. Hopefully I can contribute a little to the forum!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Sweet targa! Great choice.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Congrats. Nothing beats a Targa. GL
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice Targa. Great color.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MFank
I just purchased a 2007 targa 4S, nicely optioned and only 14,900 miles. [...] the only issue I seem to have with the car is the TPMS is a bit finicky. I keep getting the -4 warning on the same tire. Despite the tire pressure being just fine. Reset works but it comes back in a few days. I have the VAG cable for my Audi and I have disabled the TPMS in the RS4 and will probably end up disabling it in the targa. Hopefully I can contribute a little to the forum!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your taste. That's a gorgeous 997. Clearly, you can get all the track time you want in other cars, but when you do run the Targa you won't be disappointed. It took me 1½ sessions to figure out how to take advantage of the Carrera, but once you do it is a bloody damned fast car and as well balanced as my Formula Ford used to be.

We hear that a lot about the TPMS in the first-gen 997 models. The new system on second-gen models works fine, but the older system is a continuing source of discussion. I'm sure one of the dot one owners will chime in with their collective wisdom on TPMS. I'm not sure about disconnecting it. Personally, I like having a flat-tire warning available in a car with such low profile tires, but I can understand the frustration if it keeps getting out of registration (or whatever causes that spurious warning).

Glad to have you aboard the forum,

Gary
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Tito_gsx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your Targa, I like the combo of red and targa.

MMP is an awesome track! Been there many times on my crotch rocket, absolute first class facility.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Welcome. I look forward to your future posts comparing the Porsche to your previous line up.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice Targa. It just struck me that I haven't seen a Targa in person. They must be fairly rare. Anyone have an idea how many were made? Beautiful car!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 PM
rebattery
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a 71 targa, lotts of luck, great choice
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
zanwar
Pro

Congrats. I have the exact same car. If you choose to track it, you'll find it's very capable.

The TPMS once alerted me to a punctured front tire when I couldn't feel any change through the wheel, so I'd recommend you leave it in place. I've found that cycling the system through Winter / Summer options will settle it down. With cold tires, my TPMS always reads 2 lbs lower than my handheld gauge, when the tires are hot on the track it can read up to 2-3 lbs off the gauge in a random direction.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Welcome to the forums... I am also a convert from B5 S4, still holds a special place in my heart, I might get back into it in a wagon for days I need more room.

Audi's can be incredibly fast, but the problem with all of them is the weight and front biased... you'd be more than susprised how even the Targa could do on track, you may have to learn how to drive a rear-bias car fast, takes more attention but you'd soon be faster.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

welcome to the brotherhood of Porsche owners
Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 PM
mdr2001
Instructor

Congrats and welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge here as well as some really great conversation.

Look forward to your future posts.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:06 AM
fredcia
2nd Gear

I agree beautiful car, i have an 08 in silver and love it. i was just looking the mobridge unit you have today. What do you think of it.

PS you have to take it to the track, you will love it. i just took the race drivers training at Mission raceway, unbelievable.
Name:  racing (10).jpg
Views: 140
Size:  76.4 KB
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

MFrank,

Very nice looking Targa! Welcome to Rennlist!

Quick Reply: New to the forums and back into Porsche ownership