Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Not in Limit Position

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS there a video on 997's MANUAL closure of the top?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if there's a video but instructions are in the owners manual I believe. What's the problem with your top?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Long Islander1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaychub
Not sure if there's a video but instructions are in the owners manual I believe. What's the problem with your top?
Nothing, Im being proactive, just incase.

the only time I got a error message was when I added the smarTOP and I didnt seat the ribbon cable in properly.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:30 PM
phunboy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kayclub,
I'm in a similar situation. I replaced both leaking cylinders and confirmed they operate normally. However, I went to disconnect the pump so I could add more hydraulic fluid, and I failed to reconnected when I attempted to open/close the top. The top closed, but my clamshell is still raised. After realizing my disconnected pump, it was re-connected, but my top will not open. It will not release the latch so remains closed with the clamshell well raised.
Do you know how I can restore operations or do I need to get it dealer calibrated? Youch, that sounds painful. Any advice??
Old 11-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Phunboy,
I have an enthusiast version of Durametric which has the calibrate function. I've found out that the convertible top mechanism has a perfect sync and sequence everything must work, once one of them is out of whack then everything freezes up, Durametric will bypass all sequence and force it to open and close.

FYI, I would suggest going all the way to Durametric Pro, my top gives errors when it's closed but none when it's open, I've changed the top latch microswitch and error persists. I had to set the potentiometer with a multimeter which makes it work, but something is still slightly out of sync that's why the error persists I believe. My version of Durametric couldn't read the convertible top ecu and give me the potentiometer values.

I would buy the kit rather than take it in to a dealer, you would spend the $ either way.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM
FlaHeel
Intermediate

Never seen error code for top, even when both ramps were leaking and the top was taking forever to close, no codes were displayed.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by FlaHeel
Never seen error code for top, even when both ramps were leaking and the top was taking forever to close, no codes were displayed.
Yes no error codes for non electrical parts like the hydraulic rams. I changed my rams when I bought the car, but the person that worked on the car before that messed up the potentiometers, so I had to get a repair kit because the rear deck would not open or close by itself, the error displayed is a timing error which has to do with the potentiometers.

My top works now, but another potentiometer is still not in sync, but I need either PIWIS or maybe Durametric Pro or any other tester that will display the potentiometer values while I adjust and set them up to the right values.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 PM
phunboy
Cruisin'

Kaychub,
You are definitely peaking my interest in picking up a Durametric to do self diagnostic, in lieu of stealership. If it can restore my super-extended clamshell, that would be bonus. What is the repair kit you reference in your posts?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Originally Posted by phunboy
Kaychub,
​​You are definitely peaking my interest in picking up a Durametric to do self diagnostic, in lieu of stealership. If it can restore my super-extended clamshell, that would be bonus. What is the repair kit you reference in your posts?
The repair kit is needed when you open the top using the emergency opening by using the manual top opening tool. This disengages the rear deck gear from the motor, allowing you to open the rear deck manually to get through for repairs.

It's a $30 part that needs a lot of know how to install and get working. I'm sure that's not the problem with yours, except you push on the rear deck and it goes down, if that happens that means the gears have disengaged from the electric motor.

​​​​​That was the cause of my rear deck woes
Old 11-07-2016, 03:34 PM
phunboy
Cruisin'

Gotcha,
Yep, I have not manually lowered the top and have not forced my clamshell to any extreme pressures with my initial diagnostic. I will steer clear of that. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:51 AM
gavram
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

I was getting this "not in limit position" error intermittently and my mechanic fixed it by replacing the potentiometer.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Not in Limit Position