Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question: Did the 997 Targa only come with AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM
DriveAfterDark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question: Did the 997 Targa only come with AWD?

Just wondering, don't see any Targa 2's for sale... Only Targa with RWD are of the 996 line... Hmm.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Quick answer - yes.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

wow, didn't know that, must be a heavy girl
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

Yes.. All 997 series 2007 & up Targa's are AWD...

Steve in Saratoga Springs, NY
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 PM
DriveAfterDark
Intermediate

Okey, thanks for replying. That's a real bummer... Because the 997 Targa looks so much better than the 996 Targa (which I also kinda like because it's rare and weird looking in a good way).

Wonder why... All those 911 models but no "Carrera S" with a Targa roof? I did NOT expect that! Especially since the 996 comes with RWD...

Decisions, decisions... 996 costs half the price of 997 where I'm from, maybe 996 "Targa 2" is not a bad choice after all.

PS. I have never owned a 911 before.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Funny, this morning I drove by my neighbor's house and he has a 997 Targa 4S; although I am pretty sure they only made 4's, I was wondering why no 2WD. (Though Targa sales are so relatively rare I can see why they don't offer more options). I owned both 993 and 996 Targas in the past, still like them!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Steve/K2WE
Advanced

I understand they made very few Targa 4S models. I've only seen 2 and both were in Florida. I'm very happy with my Targa.. IT turns heard everywhere I go. The best feature besides the roof is the hatch. Makes it very easy to load things in the back.. I have 53k miles on it with ZERO complaints.. Tons of fun to drive..

Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveAfterDark
Okey, thanks for replying. That's a real bummer... Because the 997 Targa looks so much better than the 996 Targa (which I also kinda like because it's rare and weird looking in a good way).

Wonder why... All those 911 models but no "Carrera S" with a Targa roof? I did NOT expect that! Especially since the 996 comes with RWD...

Decisions, decisions... 996 costs half the price of 997 where I'm from, maybe 996 "Targa 2" is not a bad choice after all.

PS. I have never owned a 911 before.
I would encourage going for a 997, even if it has AWD. The 997 Targa is much better and more refined. I didn't want an AWD either, but it was a small compromise to make for such a wonderful car. Also, that wide back end looks SOOO good on a Targa IMO. (the photo below is mine at local cars and coffee a couple of years ago). While the AWD adds weight the T4S still weighs less than a C4S cab, and performs just as well as other models for everyone except very skilled drivers (which most of aren't).

Wouldn't AWD be an advantage in Norway for part of the year?

Be sure to try a variety of cars you're considering before you make your final decision.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 10-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Bullit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I was wondering why no 2WD.
It is my understanding that there are no 2 wheel drive Targas due to the extra weight of the glass roof causing it to be top heavy and thereby requiring more stability....
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
DriveAfterDark
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve/K2WE
I understand they made very few Targa 4S models. I've only seen 2 and both were in Florida. I'm very happy with my Targa.. IT turns heard everywhere I go. The best feature besides the roof is the hatch. Makes it very easy to load things in the back.. I have 53k miles on it with ZERO complaints.. Tons of fun to drive..

Thanks for the reply. Strange thing is, the selection in my market isn't that bad, actually. I would prefer black with black, brown or tan interior, most are silver and gray.

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I would encourage going for a 997, even if it has AWD. The 997 Targa is much better and more refined. I didn't want an AWD either, but it was a small compromise to make for such a wonderful car. Also, that wide back end looks SOOO good on a Targa IMO. (the photo below is mine at local cars and coffee a couple of years ago). While the AWD adds weight the T4S still weighs less than a C4S cab, and performs just as well as other models for everyone except very skilled drivers (which most of aren't).

Wouldn't AWD be an advantage in Norway for part of the year?

Be sure to try a variety of cars you're considering before you make your final decision.
Thanks. How do you mean, refined? Faster, most sound isolated, bigger...?

Yes, I assumed that there would not be any significant noticeable differences between the coupe and targa for the average driver (I am not a race car driver - even though I like to think so sometimes It's an expensive car (to me), so I will most likely never push it beyond 7/10s, but I assume that will give me enough thrills!

Yes, 4S is an advantage in Norway... But the purist in me keep yelling "six cylinders, manual gearbox, rear wheel drive" - maybe he'll shut up after a while

I just love the way it keep that iconic side profile and that very stylish rear glass hatch that almost no other car has... How cool would it be to
make a custom compartment for a jacket and an umbrella...

I'm window shopping at this moment, but I should have a car within a half a year. They are 1/4 more in terms of price than a regular Carrera with a sunroof, so let's see which one becomes my first "P-car"
Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveAfterDark
Thanks. How do you mean, refined? Faster, most sound isolated, bigger...?

Yes, I assumed that there would not be any significant noticeable differences between the coupe and targa for the average driver (I am not a race car driver - even though I like to think so sometimes It's an expensive car (to me), so I will most likely never push it beyond 7/10s, but I assume that will give me enough thrills!

Yes, 4S is an advantage in Norway... But the purist in me keep yelling "six cylinders, manual gearbox, rear wheel drive" - maybe he'll shut up after a while

I just love the way it keep that iconic side profile and that very stylish rear glass hatch that almost no other car has... How cool would it be to
make a custom compartment for a jacket and an umbrella...

I'm window shopping at this moment, but I should have a car within a half a year. They are 1/4 more in terms of price than a regular Carrera with a sunroof, so let's see which one becomes my first "P-car"
Perhaps refined isn't the correct word. But what I meant was the 997 has a much nicer interior, more power, an in my opinion, just looks right.
I autocrossed my Targa a few times, and it was just as much fun as my current C2S cab. While the AWD doesn't have quite the same nimble feeling in the front end as RWD, on the other hand, it does feel wonderfully planted at high speeds. I took that Targa up to 140 once during a long trip, and it felt very stable. But try both AWD and RWD to be sure what meets your needs. Good luck.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 10-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
DriveAfterDark
Intermediate

I love those wide hips...
Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 AM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve/K2WE
The best feature besides the roof is the hatch. Makes it very easy to load things in the back..
Man, I wish the normal Carrera had a hatch. There's lots of room in the back seats, but it's impossible to get to through the doors.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AYHSMB
Man, I wish the normal Carrera had a hatch. There's lots of room in the back seats, but it's impossible to get to through the doors.
I am waiting for Porsche to make a Cab version of the Targa.

Quick Reply: Quick question: Did the 997 Targa only come with AWD?