Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 GTS
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's us know when you take delivery of your GTS.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 AM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as we are piling on the GTS votes......

Totally agree with the several previous posts and can't add much. Be aware of the centerlock wheels, though, if you plan extra wheels and tires for the track.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keadog
After 4 air-cooled 911s, my wife is slowly convincing me to "evolve" into more of a GT experience. She likes going on trips in the 911, but wants me to get a new car for the drive to Parade in Utah next year. I drove an '09 TT chipped to a claimed 600hp Monday (don't know about 600, but it sure was fast) and a '12 GTS. My wife much preferred the ride of the GTS and I found the power more than adequate if not as truly frightening (and a blast) of the TT.
So, what to do? I'm taking a pole here. Three choices: a used '09 TT, a new GTS at the end of a model run or flip a coin and help beta test the 991? TT "cheapest" and fastest, but not new. GTS the last of a great run of the 997 or the unknown 991 from a company known for constant improvement (except for maybe 993 to 996, IMO).
Thanks for the input. Have fun. Please keep flames to a minimum...
Not that it's worth any more than you paid for it, since I've "been intimate" with both current cars, will offer an opinion;

Mashing the loud pedal gets old, the lack of throttle response in a TT gets on my nerves. Give me a throttle I can count upon when trimming seconds. Not that it's wrong, just that I don't like the price you pay for the reflex.

(gonna pi$$ off some P-car guys here) for me, after owning 10 911's of various stripe, RWD is clearly triumphant in the kind of conditions where one goes fast in a Porsche. I do realize that on a race course FWD can be superior (not the Porsche system), but the street is different. Further it is likely that you have another car to drive in slippery/sub optimal weather. Steering is lighter, more responsive and feel is transcendentally superior.

While I don't feel a GTS is in the same league as a GT3 for go-fast, it is probably one of the best balanced Sports GTs on the street. Compared to the competition, a performance bargain, and still a better car in virtually every category than cars up to twice as much.

Unless that TT throttle (eventually) makes your day, the GTS is much better balanced from a performance driving perspective. 600HP notwithstanding...
Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliding_Serpent
This is an easy decision in my books:
- Forget the TT. 600hp or not... the engine WILL wear out sooner than your typical TT (although I am sure it has a stock option). Plus, what kind of person turns a great car like a TT into a 600hp beast? Yup, you guessed it... the same guy who pops the clutch for a gut wrenching 0-60 at every second stoplight, and who hammers his car at the track, or even better, at two AM racing his buddies.
- The GTS would be my go-to. This is coming at the end of a generation so most kinks are worked out. This is the sum of 997 knowledge, and at a bargain for what you are getting. This is the most powerful 911 you can get that does not scream "arrest me!" It will stand as one of the more desirable 997's in years to come I am sure (aside from the GT3's).
- I can't say much for the 991. If you like the looks, and MUST have the latest thing (the 997 will be old news soon), go for it. There may be kinks to work out, but I doubt the car is so different that it will risk being any type of lemon.

IMHO you can't lose with either of the last two... but I wouldn't touch the TT with a 50 foot pole. Chips are a red flag for "abuse" in my books, unless you know and trust the owner...

+1

I'm surprised how few people with long lists of mods can't actually drive their cars, have never attending a driving school, etc. Plus there's always the question of how well the work was done, at how many places, whether some parts were bolted back on for resale, and so on - all the more reason to buy an unmolested example, in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 676 Posts

The TT is a CPO car, but my wife liked the GTS. The GTS seemed responsive but not that "fast" to me. Of course, in the last few months I have test-driven a TTS, a GT3 and this latest TT. No sisters (3 brothers). Neither of us liked the alcantera seats and I especially disliked the alcantera steering wheel. Would want alcantera delete and multiple function steering wheel in leather, so not a ton of available inventory out there if i can't order. I know PTS closed on June 23rd. Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful comments. Looks like I might be selling my 993, sooner or later...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Not that it's worth any more than you paid for it, since I've "been intimate" with both current cars, will offer an opinion;

Mashing the loud pedal gets old, the lack of throttle response in a TT gets on my nerves. Give me a throttle I can count upon when trimming seconds. Not that it's wrong, just that I don't like the price you pay for the reflex.

(gonna pi$$ off some P-car guys here) for me, after owning 10 911's of various stripe, RWD is clearly triumphant in the kind of conditions where one goes fast in a Porsche. I do realize that on a race course FWD can be superior (not the Porsche system), but the street is different. Further it is likely that you have another car to drive in slippery/sub optimal weather. Steering is lighter, more responsive and feel is transcendentally superior.

While I don't feel a GTS is in the same league as a GT3 for go-fast, it is probably one of the best balanced Sports GTs on the street. Compared to the competition, a performance bargain, and still a better car in virtually every category than cars up to twice as much.

Unless that TT throttle (eventually) makes your day, the GTS is much better balanced from a performance driving perspective. 600HP notwithstanding...
Listen to the man
Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 676 Posts

Center lock or regular wheels? Driver, 1 or 2 DEs a year, no racing. PCCB?
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliding_Serpent
This is an easy decision in my books:
- Forget the TT. 600hp or not... the engine WILL wear out sooner than your typical TT (although I am sure it has a stock option). Plus, what kind of person turns a great car like a TT into a 600hp beast? Yup, you guessed it... the same guy who pops the clutch for a gut wrenching 0-60 at every second stoplight, and who hammers his car at the track, or even better, at two AM racing his buddies.
- The GTS would be my go-to. This is coming at the end of a generation so most kinks are worked out. This is the sum of 997 knowledge, and at a bargain for what you are getting. This is the most powerful 911 you can get that does not scream "arrest me!" It will stand as one of the more desirable 997's in years to come I am sure (aside from the GT3's).
- I can't say much for the 991. If you like the looks, and MUST have the latest thing (the 997 will be old news soon), go for it. There may be kinks to work out, but I doubt the car is so different that it will risk being any type of lemon.

IMHO you can't lose with either of the last two... but I wouldn't touch the TT with a 50 foot pole. Chips are a red flag for "abuse" in my books, unless you know and trust the owner...

My thoughts exactly. A used stock TT is good but a 600hp and you goal is more a GT experience. the two just don't match.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

G
T
S

but then again - I LOVE my alcantera steering wheel (wouldn't pay for it new, but love it A LOT)
Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Bob (CT)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my way of thinking, '13 991. 2012 GTS is truly formidable but it will appear outdated with the arrival of the 991. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend $100k on a car that was a previous generation model.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob (CT)
From my way of thinking, '13 991. 2012 GTS is truly formidable but it will appear outdated with the arrival of the 991. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend $100k on a car that was a previous generation model.
Just change it out in a couple of years. Hell, by the time most folks realize there has been a change you can be enjoying one of Porsche's finest. My personal experience after 4 Porsches is that pretty much regardless of model year the Porsche evolutionary design strategy results in the same depreciation, and a reasonable cost of ownership.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll vote for the 2013 991S.
It's gonna be awesome, it's gonna be pretty, and it's going to be rare.
As great as the 997 has been, the 991 will be better.
I as well would have a very hard time spending that kind of money on a previous generation car.
Yeah, the GTS is nice, but i'd still rather have a 991.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

If I ever do give up my GTS (which I love, love, love) and was going to look at the 991 which slipped into the Aston, Jag, Panamera tourer category IMHO I will be looking at the Jag and Aston too.

I think the 997 will be the last of the traditional looking 911 with that stout, stocky, bug eyed and aggressive look.

991 is more long and sleek then stout and stocky like a traditional 911.

Quick Reply: '12 GTS or '13 S? Or '09 TT.