Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

At least Porsches use regular tires rather than runflats. One possibility is to also carry a tire plug kit with you. It does not help with a tire blowout or complete failure but it is a low cost option that may give you at least one additional option when getting a flat ( no goo to clean out of the wheel). Otherwise, get the spare and be prepared ( as stated before) to have some clean plastic bags so you can put the flat tire in the rear of the passenger compartment.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
In 30 yrs of driving I have had two tires fail with significant sidewall damage. No hope of a plug to fix those.
I've been driving sixty years and I've had four. We have a trend!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ultimately one of the biggest issues is--where do you put the wheel and tire you take off? (Bring the largest garbage bag you can find!)
or buy the tire wraps/covers that aren't too expensive....

The odds are that you will get a flat tire... and at the worst possible time....
Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are some existing, well documented threads on adding a spare tire to a 997.
Search for them.

The solutions are one of two types:
Use the 996 spare - which is smaller and can sit standing upright in the frunk.
Use the 997 spare (delivered with cars in places a spare is mandated) - it must sit angled in the frunk or in its special base in a rear seat, belted in.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

I am the OP, I posted just to get ALL the updated info.
Not having a spare is just a little worrying, not around town, but as someone said, you'll get an unrepairable event at the worst possible time...and we did have an "event" last year when a service monkey mounted the spare on my wifes M/B using the full length lugs rather than the short ones provided...towed to Mercedes, $1000 worth of repairs paid by road service company, three days in a motel, rental car....but we got to spend a day at the great Military museum at Ft Bragg...
(whopee-do) I know I should have watched to make sure he did it right, BUT, standing alongside a narrow shoulder on I 95 checking on this MORON was not something I was willing to do
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I just carry my radial tire repair kit (find via a search for that term). Works fine. Get's me where I need to go without trusting someone else!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
I looked at my first 997, hey, there is no spare tire?
What do you do on a trip if you have a tire failure...yeah, use the repair kit, good luck with that, if the tire is wrecked.
Is there a doughnut available?
Might want to read this...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=spare

my current solution (not field tested though):

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=997ext

the question about what to do with the take off is valid - ideas:

1 - some room is freed up from the spare - rearrange your luggage creatively
2 - cutting the tire away from the bead and discarding it may work - hard to collect on tire warranty though if you have one

Certainly first line of defense is Roadside Assistance, if you still have it, and better have upgraded AAA or similar otherwise. Patch Kit and "can of goop" is a fair backup and a spare as last resort is way better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply: No Spare tire?