Sponsored by:

Carrera S "Lurching"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
rbb
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera S "Lurching"

I have a 2006 (fully stock) Porsche 911 Carrera S convertible, and have recently started to use it as a daily driver. I have had it since new, and the car has only a little over 9700 miles on it. Recently, the car has started to "lurch" forward when accelerating from a stop. It jumps forward about a foot and then starts to accelerate, and when it jumps, a loud bang (kind of more like a very loud popping sound), audible from the interior, comes from the rear. It feels like what happens when one lets up the clutch very fast (which is strange, since the car is an automatic). The first time it happened, I looked back to see if I was rear ended. It has happened twice, both times when the engine was warm. I have not touched the tiptronic since I got the car. Both times it happened, the car was being driven calmly, not accelerating or braking hard. Because of this, the car spent a lot of time in a high gear. Thank you in advance.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like for whatever reason the clutch is slow to grab- it spins a little an moves you forward and then bang it finally grabs. I'm not up on the PDK trans so someone who knows better can probably give more info. I'm not sure exactly how the clutch is actuated but in a traditional auto trans you'd be looking for a faulty solenoid or low fluid or fluid pressure. If i'm not mistaken you can wear out the clutch(es) if you do a lot of launches.. are you a launch guy? have you lost any fluid? is the car throwing any codes?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 591 Posts

My throttle response seems "lurchy" at times but it think this is the result of not driving it hard enough. My suggestion? Take your CS for good spirited aggressive romp to re-map the throttle response. This has worked for me in the past. I am due. Now I could be full of s#%t so I am open for comments from our esteemed more experienced rennlisters... Comments?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
rbb
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Sounds like for whatever reason the clutch is slow to grab- it spins a little an moves you forward and then bang it finally grabs. I'm not up on the PDK trans so someone who knows better can probably give more info. I'm not sure exactly how the clutch is actuated but in a traditional auto trans you'd be looking for a faulty solenoid or low fluid or fluid pressure. If i'm not mistaken you can wear out the clutch(es) if you do a lot of launches.. are you a launch guy? have you lost any fluid? is the car throwing any codes?
Thank you for your response. I just had the car serviced after this happened the second time. It was not throwing any codes, but the transmission fluid was about a one half quart to one quart from full when I took it in.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

Sounds like a Tiptronic adjustment is in order.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Please note that the OP refers to a Tiptronic, not PDK.

Quick Reply: Carrera S "Lurching"