Sponsored by:

Tire Noise...time to change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:09 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Noise...time to change?

I'm interested in how many change out their tires before their time ( regarding their wear ) due to annoying road/tire noise. The original PS2's on my 09 C4S went to around 19K miles and needed changing due to wear but I now suspect they were plenty noisy geting up to that...though as a daily driver...the noise factor creeps up insidiously. My Nitto Invos are now at 17K as well and the noise is bugging me to the point of changing out the rears and keeping the fronts for a last go round. The rears are in decent shape but are wearing as they will on a С4S...contributing to road noise. I suppose I'm getting way more miles than I should out of the tires in the first place so this might be a moot point. I average 25K mi/yr. Do not track (yet).
Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I understand that the cycling of heat within tires dries them out and ultimately they lose much of their resilience. As such, they will become noisy. The road surfaces in your area may be also leading to premature replacement. I was always of the understanding in Florida that many roads are made with asphalt and oyster shells, and those shells do take a toll. With a C4S I would expect higher wear in the fronts as compared to the usual C2 tire wear ratio of 2:1 (twice as much tire replacements for the rear wheels than the fronts).
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point...I didn't consider the heat factor...whether or not it is...as I said...the wear does not appear to be so extreme but the noise is a bit much. The fronts are better as is expected. The ratio of 2:1 is probably close. I 'm assuming that most ot the noise is coming fromn the rears...maybe I'm wrong. At 2K mi/mo...I suppose I'd be changing them soon anyway. The local muscle car mechanic says that with that much rubber on the road...they have to get noisey at some point as they wear. Glad the Nittos are about 1/2 the price of the Michelins.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

A lot of tires will heat cycle as they wear, which hardens the rubber and they start to wear (and ride) like stones. When you get to that point, yeah, they're done, just as done as if they're worn past the wear indicators. I don't think I've ever heard road noise as a factor before, but then, noise is probably the bottom of the lowest items on my priority list- the question is, how do they grip? Are you losing traction in conditions you never used to before?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert and my experience is limited to PS2s. I've never had issues, noise or otherwise, with these (19s) tires. My buddy told me the other day that some tire stores will sell you old (dated not used) tires, so one has to make sure the tires are "fresh." Not saying this is your issues, but just food for thought.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2011, 09:14 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GTS came with Pirelli Pzeros and they are very noisy. I've only got 2000 miles on it and the noise at highway speeds is very annoying. Ive also got a vibration at higher speeds. Has any one else noticed this with the Pirelli tires?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennox
My GTS came with Pirelli Pzeros and they are very noisy. I've only got 2000 miles on it and the noise at highway speeds is very annoying. Ive also got a vibration at higher speeds. Has any one else noticed this with the Pirelli tires?
My PZero's are smooth....I have 1400 miles on my GTS. They are just as noisy as the PS2 and Toyo Proxes1's I've have on other 997 cars.

Road noise depends on the road surface you are driving on. The 997 like many other sports cars is stiffly sprung and transmitts a lot of road noise into the cabin. Plus the wide tires don't help the cause either.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

when your tires are initially balanced they are done with the tread depth at full height. As they wear the depth and the wear pattern across the tire changes which affects balancing.

You should also check your shocks/struts to make sure they arent worn which can wear out a tire in a irregular manner which will lead to tire noise.

Quick Reply: Tire Noise...time to change?