Sponsored by:

Cool new aluminum floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
One critical spec that is not better is the 90 warranty on the HF unit versus the lifetime warranty on the OTC. Aside from being cheaper, which specs are you referring to that are "better"?
Very true.

BTW MIke what size rear tires are you running?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Very true.

BTW MIke what size rear tires are you running?
Hi kosmo. The tires in the pic are my street tires that came standard with the Carrera sport wheels; PZeros 305/30/19. I was getting ready to put on my autox Michelin Sport Cups 295/30/18. For autox I could use more tire. Probably next season.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

If you use your jack "professionally" I can see buying the top of the line, but l use the floor jack once in a while, and I always use stands under the car..so IMHO the less expensive jack means more money for TOOLS, which I also use only occasionally..so.. Snap on is not a priority...
I did get a deal on some nice lightweight aluminum stands however....
Hmmmm, isn't a 3000 # jack enough for a 911, you are probably lifting less than 2000# at any time !!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:53 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
If you use your jack "professionally" I can see buying the top of the line, but l use the floor jack once in a while, and I always use stands under the car..so IMHO the less expensive jack means more money for TOOLS, which I also use only occasionally..so.. Snap on is not a priority...
Hmmmm, isn't a 3000 # jack enough for a 911, you are probably lifting less than 2000# at any time !!
I agree. Stands are a MUST.
I repeat, the Arcan 3.5T steel jack at costco for $99 is a GREAT deal.
Also, Harbor freight will sell their 1.5T AL jack for $59 on black fri. Its an ok jack thats transportable to and from the track.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by dak911
The 911 isn't my only car. Compared to my old Costco steel jack the OTC is a dream to move around and it's certainly not overpriced, IMO. Amazon has a deal where the aluminum stands you mention are included with the jack in a package for an extra $10. I lived with a cheap heavy steel jack for years; I indulged myself this time.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Nice choice on a jack. If it works for you and holds out a bunch of years, you got your money's worth. However, your car is a LOT hotter than the jack. I love those rims!

Here is my favorite site for some honesty on jacks:

www.hyjacks.com
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OTC makes and sells great products with customer service to match.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just used my OTC to install my winter wheels - bad back and all I need the alum construction - don't care that I paid a little more to get the lighter weight. BTW, I also received the jack stands but haven't used them b/c my 997.2 lift points are so small that I cannot lift the car and find a loc for the jack stands. It's a catch 22 - with my high school 442 I could use the jack stands adjacent to the lift - not so with the 997.2.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
Mike,

Nice choice on a jack. If it works for you and holds out a bunch of years, you got your money's worth. However, your car is a LOT hotter than the jack. I love those rims!

www.hyjacks.com
Thank you for this. I knew how to cheap out at Sears and Harbor Freight before consulting Rennlist. I never knew the best USA floor jack. Will the Milwaukee go under the car?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Will the Milwaukee go under the car?
The Milwaukee 20 product has a saddle height of 3.75". My 997 with stock suspension has the jack point at about 5.5 inches off the concrete. The Milwaukee jack would fit under my car based on that info.

I have zero affliation with the HyJack's site. I just have been reading this guy's site for a few years now and enjoy his bluntness. I know, that's pretty pathetic that I read jack web sites...

My father passed down a USA built 2.5 ton floor jack that is probably 30+ years old. I can barely lift it and I think it'll lift a freight train. It doesn't leak either. Man, we used to build good s _ _ t in this country. I bet this current Milwaukee jack on the HYJacks site is an exceptional product as well. It better be for $615.

I'd have no problem with the Norco products either. Those nylon rollers are right up my alley for my floors.

My 17 year old Sears two ton floor jack that was Made in China has lifted more stuff than I can count. It's dry, fully functional and I trust it. I also lube it and keep the oil level topped off by going over it a couple times per year to make sure it's up to snuff. I wonder how many other people actually maintain their jack...?

I still think Made in the USA means you're probably gonna get really good s _ _ t. It'll cost you an arm and a leg (and maybe another body part or two), but at least you know you are getting quality stuff. We have outsourced a lot of stuff here in this country (which angers me), but there are still good manufactures building quality products IF you want to pay for them.

No offense to Mike's post here and his jack. Price point does matter in this day and age.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Yummy! Built right here down the road from me...

Milwaukee Hydraulics
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

My old harbor freight jack is just too dangerous. So I'm looking for a replacement. Trying to gently lower a car or truck and it comes smashing down on the jack stands.

Has anyone else experienced that with any of these jacks? I really want precise control of how slow or fast I lower the vehicle.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jay H
Mike,

www.hyjacks.com
Thanks, Jay! I saw this site when I was shopping and checked out the Model 20. I love the fact that it's 100% USA made but it was pricey and heavy (70lbs) and I wanted something lighter. No doubt a high quality piece, though. I bought the OTC because while made in China, OTC is a reputable American company and the jack has a lifetime warranty. If I could have found an American made aluminum jack at any kind of reasonable price, I would have bought one.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
My old harbor freight jack is just too dangerous. So I'm looking for a replacement. Trying to gently lower a car or truck and it comes smashing down on the jack stands.

Has anyone else experienced that with any of these jacks? I really want precise control of how slow or fast I lower the vehicle.
Have you had the seals replaced? That is where I would start.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Ed Scherer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Resurrecting this thread; I discovered it when searching for any posts with recommendations and information about various jacks. I'm thinking about getting another one to replace my fairly cheap and heavy jack. I like the idea of "going light", as sometimes, I need to carry my jack around to avoid various obstacles in the garage.

FWIW, as of today when I checked, the jack in post #1 (OTC 1532) is available at
Amazon for $201.27 Amazon for $201.27
with free "Super Saver" shipping.

Another alternative (probably not for me, though; too heavy/long) is the heavier (steel) OTC 5202, available at
Amazon for $308.73 Amazon for $308.73
also with free "Super Saver" shipping (maybe temporarily; it says "This item normally requires a shipping charge, but is eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping today").

If I had more space around the cars when they're in the garage, I'd probably go for the 5202, but it's longer and uses a one-piece handle.

Also, the wall mount bracket (OTC 552650) is rather nice (but overpriced—more than half the price of the jack!), too, if you're into well-organized garages.

Quick Reply: Cool new aluminum floor jack