Sponsored by:

Cool new aluminum floor jack

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DLennox
Sears sells the same jack, it's just red and has a magnetic tray on top. It's about the same price.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G13
It looks somewhat the same but it's not. For one thing, looking at the parts list in the owners manual the Craftsman has a different power unit than the OTC with what appears to be a single pump cylinder instead of a dual one like the OTC. Also, the Craftsman is warrantied for 1 year, the OTC is lifetime. Not a guarantee of performance, but it gives some peace of mind.

Originally Posted by alexb76
Looks good, BUT, do u trust Chinese manufacturing for such a vital tool? from some personal experience, the extent of shortcuts chinese companies take to make things is alarming to say the least, only when they have a HUGE incentive to make good products, and are managed by others (American, Taiwanese, etc) they can be trusted (i.e. Apple products, or similar).
As I mentioned earlier OTC is an American company with headquarters in Minnesota and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. I did some research before I bought the jack because I didn't want a run-of-the-mill Chinese POS. I guess they must be out there, but I couldn't find a 100% US made aluminum jack. OTC is a reputable American company, like Apple that you mentioned, well known in the automotiive tool industry, who happens to have some of their manufacturing done in China. I guess time will tell if the jack holds up (pun intended) but it does have a great warranty in case it doesn't.

http://www.otctools.com/about.php
Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, if you follow the link to the Sears site, you see the reviews put the Sears version at 2/5.. there are lots of complaints about failures and issues with the Sears version.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Minok
Also, if you follow the link to the Sears site, you see the reviews put the Sears version at 2/5.. there are lots of complaints about failures and issues with the Sears version.
Yup. The Sears jack was one that I looked at and read reviews about. I went with the OTC instead.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't aware of those differences...I've had mine for just over 2 years without issue. I just went back and read the reviews, not good.I will keep an eye on it!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Looks good, BUT, do u trust Chinese manufacturing for such a vital tool? from some personal experience, the extent of shortcuts chinese companies take to make things is alarming to say the least, only when they have a HUGE incentive to make good products, and are managed by others (American, Taiwanese, etc) they can be trusted (i.e. Apple products, or similar).
like tires, toothpaste, baby formula, dog food, drywall and steel stuff?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
like tires, toothpaste, baby formula, dog food, drywall and steel stuff?
Yup!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As I mentioned earlier OTC is an American company with headquarters in Minnesota and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. I did some research before I bought the jack because I didn't want a run-of-the-mill Chinese POS. I guess they must be out there, but I couldn't find a 100% US made aluminum jack. OTC is a reputable American company, like Apple that you mentioned, well known in the automotiive tool industry, who happens to have some of their manufacturing done in China. I guess time will tell if the jack holds up (pun intended) but it does have a great warranty in case it doesn't.

http://www.otctools.com/about.php
Glad you did some research, hopefully it's had some better quality control. As you found out the problem is finding alternatives these days are next to impossible. BTW, they do NOT mention anything about facility in china?!

OTC has a manufacturing facility in Owatonna, Minnesota, and operating units in the United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan. Its Eisenhower Drive facility in Owatonna designs and manufactures special tools and shop equipment. Overseas operating units include OTC Tool GMBH, Langenfeld, Germany, V.L. Churchill, Daventry, England, and JATEK, Tokyo, Japan.
That's why I always appreciate visiting Europe, they haven't completely sourced out everything, you can still find significant amount of stuff made in Germany, EU, etc... maybe a few euros more than if it was made in China, but the extra quality is well worth the money. I think if people were smarter, averaged out the cost over the life of a product instead of sticker price, we'll find that it's a lot cheaper to buy a high quality grade product that lasts a few years instead of a cheap crap that needs replacement in a year... and then manufacturing and middle class can return to NA. Oh well, one can only hope!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Glad you did some research, hopefully it's had some better quality control. As you found out the problem is finding alternatives these days are next to impossible. BTW, they do NOT mention anything about facility in china?!

That's why I always appreciate visiting Europe, they haven't completely sourced out everything, you can still find significant amount of stuff made in Germany, EU, etc... maybe a few euros more than if it was made in China, but the extra quality is well worth the money. I think if people were smarter, averaged out the cost over the life of a product instead of sticker price, we'll find that it's a lot cheaper to buy a high quality grade product that lasts a few years instead of a cheap crap that needs replacement in a year... and then manufacturing and middle class can return to NA. Oh well, one can only hope!
No they don't mention a Chinese manufacturing facility, but that is what it says on the box it came in. Given people's feelings about Chinese stuff in general maybe they'd rather not brag about the connection.

BTW, I agree with you completely re:the outsourcing issue. We focus on the sticker price of cheap made foreign goods at the expense of quality and jobs here at home.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:58 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

off topic but i recently heard that the great American pony car's tranny is made in CHina. I wonder why they dont mention that in the ads?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My great German sports cars tranny came from Japan! I wish there was an alternative....
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If it was manufactured in Japan by Japanese engineers and machinists, I'd have no issue at all. Its if it came from Korea or China or put together by UAW folks in the USA that I'd have an issue.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 PM
kosmo
Race Director

recently got the Arcan 3.5 ton jack from costco for $99. Low profile, jack pad, and padded arm. Yes its made in China but the reviews were good and the quality is excellent. 2.5 pumps and the P car is up!
Its not AL so its heavy but that ok w/ me.
Attached Images    
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
It looks almost exactly like the one I got from Harbor Freight. Just the front is a bit different.

here is a link to it for a much cheaper price. gotta love Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-68051.html
HF is a dual piston jack with better specs than the OTC unit

Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM
kosmo
Race Director

I saw the HF jack in person, it was on sale for $159 less 20% off w/ a coupon. I felt like 1.5tons wasnt enough + i have this mental block about buying stuff there. Yes I know its somewhat irrational.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
HF is a dual piston jack with better specs than the OTC unit
One critical spec that is not better is the 90 warranty on the HF unit versus the lifetime warranty on the OTC. Aside from being cheaper, which specs are you referring to that are "better"?

Quick Reply: Cool new aluminum floor jack