Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S vs Turbo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbos are fun for the straight line acceleration esp at lower rpms, but the throttle response of a NA motor could be considered more precise and controllable. So I'm not sure the track idea makes much logic when deciding. And didn't Porsche end up putting their efforts into the GT3 as a Supercup and American Le Mans GT class car instead of the GT2 for that reason?

I like the giggles you can get from a FI motor, they are fun to blast off in once in a while, that's for sure. But the overall smooth response and less plumbing of the NA has its benefits, too.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Faster does not mean better.

Drive both. Pick what you like. Life's short.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

sounds like I need to go back to school...driving school or the track maybe before I make this decision.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Holli is spot on. No one online can tell you what is best for you. Take the time to experience several cars--both n/a and turbocharged. I've had both a 911 Turbo and several normally aspirated 911s and the issues are not black and white. Remember, too, that you pay to play. A 997 Turbo will easily run you 2X the cost of a 997 in maintenance expenses. More can go wrong with them, and there is more stress inside the engine. Disassembly and reassembly is lengthier with a Turbo, just to get in and change simple things like spark plugs.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a Carrera owner, I think the "Carrerra is fast enough" line is silly.

The thing that the turbo has MUCH more of is torque, and torque is VERY usable in daily spirited driving - every single acceleration onto the highway or backroad under full throttle, and every single time you punch it to pass another car.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to pass someone and they've tried to ****-block me from getting around them, and every time I say to myself I wish I had more torque & hp. I assure you, someone in a Dodge Ram Truck with 400hp and 410 torque isn't saying to himself "it is fast enough", especially the ones who chip them. Oh and then there's all the sporty sedans and American or Japanese sports cars with similar to superior hp & torque. Yeah yeah you can say something like "...but on a track..." but that really doesn't matter when you're in situations like the above.

The only differences that really matter for choosing Carrera over turbo, it seems to me, is your wallet, the aesthetics, and the steering feel & handling dynamics between the two, rear vs. awd.

Quick Reply: C2S vs Turbo Upgrade?