Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that if you ask the question, you have your answer, you are tempted by PDK, it is obviously pretty good and very few bad about it.

I think the best for you will be to try it. You might make a mistake, but the worst would be to get a manual, be happy with it, and still go to bed thinking about 'should I have gotten the PDK'

It is a new technology and until you try it you will want it.

If it doesn't work out for you, consolation is that resale value will certainly be stronger anyways and there are still plenty of 6speed to choose from.

I am on the fence like you but that is how I see it. I love the whole shifting thing, but I'll have to try PDK in my next ride if the opportunity present itself.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:01 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I ve been browsing through all this and in the last 2 Panorama issues they've been covering this debate.

Why can't you all just accept that people drive what they like and not put down someone elses choice?
Party pooper!

Actually Mike, I agree with you. However, this thread has been very civilized compared to some threads from a few months back. Maybe we have finally reached the "saturation point" on the "Manual vs. PDK' topic and there is just not anything new to be said.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing I miss about MTs is being able to go directly to the gear I want rather than pass through them all on the way up or down. I missed that when I had an SMG BMW (my 1st sequential shift car) and I still miss it with the PDK. But I feel the benefits outweigh that and the newness of it after years of MTs - as Mike in CA says; been there done that - is good for me personally and I find it different enough as to cause me to probably be more "involved" in manual, which I mostly use, than I would with an MT that had become an almost robotic reflex for me after so many years.

PDK is such a fantastic upgrade over the BMW SMG - after two years with the car, I am still astonished by how well it works.

I can easily imagine going back to an MT in the future though - variety is the spice of life.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Its to bad, you couldn't have both at the same time. I am afraid I would lose interest in a car if it only had PDK. Given I don't have the money to own both I would have to choose manual.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C4S is an 09 PDK launch car. Have 40k miles now and not a hiccup. As a daily driver I appreciate such a neat automatic tranny...for a boost, I drive in sport mode...overall its impeccable. I chose it over a 6 speed because I wanted to enjoy the latest of Porsche Technology. I don't regret it...this car can be enough to handle with both hands on the wheel...thants plenty of involvement for me for now.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by mambodoc
My C4S is an 09 PDK launch car. Have 40k miles now and not a hiccup. ...this car can be enough to handle with both hands on the wheel...thants plenty of involvement for me for now.
Maybe the 'manualites' realize that they need the shifting time delay to slow their pace to get a grip controlling their car.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is amazing, with the PDK and the new 9A1 motor is better than the GT1 Metzger motor I have had in the last three 911s I have had. The only thing I can think would be better is the 911 TT PDK. I drool to drive one of those. BUT THIS 911 is fantastic, it does EVERYTHING so well its just crazy.
There are threads on the GT3 forum about GT3 guys complaining about not being able to pass the 997.2 911s MANUALS AND PDKS!! that tells you alot right there.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the PDK Carrera S. I now have a 997.1 GT3. I would never go back to PDK on a 911 let alone a non-GT variant moving forward.

For my tastes, the PDK dumbs down the experience and makes the 911 a GT car. I got bored with it fairly quickly and I did not anticipate this.

I can see why because this drives more sales as the market potential opens up. My guess is the 991 will continue to push the 911 toward the grand tourer space.

It's all good so long as we have choice.

P.S. It's "Mezger"
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
...the new 9A1 motor is better than the GT1 Metzger motor ....
Paul you got your fire suit on for this weekend?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Maybe the 'manualites' realize that they need the shifting time delay to slow their pace to get a grip controlling their car.
Tony, where've you been? This is page 3 already!!

Gotta say as a manual-ite I certainly find it disciplines me to get my gear changes in before and after cornering, not during.

PDK changes in-corner seem a good "get out of jail card" when you find yourself entering/exiting in the wrong gear, although I'm not sure if that's a good thing. It rescues you from errors but won't improve your driving, just your speed. Depends what floats your boat I guess.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesT7
Okay so I am going to ask this question. Even though it might be like opening pandora's box.

Let me start this by stating I am looking for real comparisons and not what has been written before.

I happen to like manual sports cars and I have driven a few PDKs and F1s and SMGs.

My questions are; What is it like in daily life to drive a PDK? Has your driving style changed? If so how? What have been the differences you have experienced? I am sure as this discussion proceeds I will have other questions.

You see it is easy for me to know what I am getting with a manual. It is extremely familiar to me. When I have driven a PDK 911. It is a brief time. Nothing like what I have in manual cars. So for some one like me to decide to buy a PDK 911 is a big change.

Now, I know the PDK shifts faster than I can and it is better on fuel etc etc. What I want to know is the fun factor. How is it fun? When is it fun?

Thanks,
James
is that an artists rendering of the 991 in your avatar? looks Audi TTish
Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Pissedpuppy,

Yes it is the 991. A friend of mine sent it to me.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I had a C4S with PDK. I was hot and cold on the PDK. Don't get me wrong, it's a great trans. It's not as involving though. It removes you one step further from being part of the car and the experience of driving. If I was racing and wanted every advantage possible I'd go with paddles. If I want to have a classic sports car experience in one of the worlds greatest sports cars it's got to be the traditional MT.

The MT is by far more involving and consequently more fun. I can't feel that 3 tenths of a second difference in quickness. Can anyone? I can feel the difference in fun and involvement with the car though.

That's my take.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 AM
PaulLA
Track Day

To the OP - i have a manual 06 C4s and wouldn't have it any other way. I tracked it last weekend and it was a great experience going through the gears...adding a big smile when matching the revs to the gear. But cursing when it didn't. I have done a few autocross and hot laps with many of the PDKs and they are amazing. A few months ago, I drove the Boxster Spyder, the Cayman R and the 911 variants all in PDK and was thoroughly impressed from the performance perspective. I am old school and prefer interacting with the manual cruising around town or in the mountains. But the PDK does have my thinking for track events. You cant go wrong either way, just a matter of what you will do with it and what you enjoy.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I can't feel that 3 tenths of a second difference in quickness. Can anyone?
In sport plus....easily. Waiting for my car in the lounge at the dealership a little while back I talked to a guy who shared your opinion. Turns out he carried out manual PDK shifts the same way he did manual shifts with a MT....coming off the accelerator for the shift. I'm not implying that's how you did it but for anyone who does, yes...it will almost completely defeat the performance edge of the PDK over a MT. It will defeat other things too but that's another discussion.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual?