Sponsored by:

PDK vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Heh, it was tongue in cheek, thus the smiley face that I added to my post. I guess you are too new to this forum to have seen these hilariously epic threads. But, for your amusement:

Back up sensors thread

Flooring it thread
You are right - too new and these threads you sent - whoaa - mighty rediculous but hey whatever..... Sorry bout this - I'll try and find humor when I read - should have known that was tongue in cheek.

Last edited by tbrom; 08-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my Cayman S with PDK for about 4 weeks, so far I never drive in normal mode. My habit is already to turn on sport mode, PASM back to normal, ventilated seats and radar detector on.
There are a few times I override with the paddles or put it into manual mode. In accelerating moderately from a light on a road with a speed limit of 40-45 in moderate traffic, I find the shift pattern to be too aggressive, so I upshift manually. Cruising on a similar road, sometimes I prefer to keep the engine more in the powerband, sport mode will upshift too much in these situations, but responds readily to any throttle input.
One of the problems I have is if I am in manual mode, it's easy to forget to downshift to accelerate around traffic, too used to driving in automatic.
So for me, I leave it in sport auto 95% of the time so far.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
JamesT7
Instructor

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank everyone for sharing with me their experiences with PDK.

So I drove a PDK 911 yesterday. I did as recommended regarding the settings. The PDK is a brilliant piece of kit. The shifts are so good. I think the jerkiness was more me lifting and then pushing the accelerator pedal between shifts at the wrong moments. The PDK shifts so quickly that my timing seemed to be off. I did find it to be fun and involving. In traffic it was great to have. I got to drive it for a longer period of time compared to the usual test drive time but it still went by too quickly. It didn't seem the drive was as long as it was. I didn't have the time to drive a MT right after it but I am going to soon.

Porsche certainly has designed the best duel clutch transmissions out of all the duel clutch trans / F1s / SMGs etc. PDK did not feel fragile in anyway during my drive. I would love to try it out on the track too and in the more aggressive settings. Now to decide on which 911 to buy. Thanks again to everyone.

I certainly would like to hear more experiences from owners of the PDK trans. Have any of you used the PDK in track events?

Cheers,
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DCT M3 (so wife can drive as well) and a 6MT C4S. I have driven the PDK in the Porsche on more than one occasion as well.

I do like the DCT and PDK, when I first bought the car all I did was flick those paddles and listen to the rev matching. Now I find myself getting lazy when I drive the M3. I almost never shift it myself unless I feel like doing some aggressive driving. It's for this reason that I prefer my 6MT and my C4S. I however, am not a hater. Choose what you like and drive the **** out of it. It's funny though because I admit I am a technology fan, so I guess I should like the PDK and DCT more. I certainly can respect what an engineering accomplishment it is.

Unfortunately for people like me I think the 6MT is in the end of it's life cycle. I even heard (but can't confirm) that Lamborghini has discontinued the 6MT in all of their cars. It's a little sad really, like the day there is no longer a combustion engine and the 911 is driven by an electric motor.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

CBnAT,

Your post is so true. I do dislike the fact that some manufacturers are going DCT, PDK, F1 etc exclusively. I am a big fan of Ferrari's gated shifter and I cannot get my head around going to the F1 all the time. I am a passionate sports car lover and it is why I respect Porsche for keeping the MT and allowing us to choose what we want to have.

Like you I also love to see technological innovations and greatly respect what Porsche has achieved with the PDK. As I mentioned I would love to drive a 911 PDK on the track to see it true potential as in it's most aggressive mode it is a little harsh on the street. I am a true believer that when any of us are buying luxury items like our sports cars that you should be able to select what you want etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by max_racer
I'm surprised no-one has pointed this out yet but real men drive mt.

Ok, I know your response is that I'm being immature and childish now. But ask yourselves, can your wife or gf drive mt? That would be a resounding NO. But any woman can drive pdk.

It is a fact that real men drive mt. If I wanted to be a woman, I put on makeup and buy a VW Beetle.
... or a Porsche Cab.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM
ru'
Instructor

Ok, I know your response is that I'm being immature and childish now. But ask yourselves, can your wife or gf drive mt? That would be a resounding NO. But any woman can drive pdk.

It is a fact that real men drive mt. If I wanted to be a woman, I put on makeup and buy a VW Beetle.
Think I'd prefer my pdk to attract women, but if that's not your thing then fair enough...
Old 05-10-2015, 09:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
... or a Porsche Cab.
I have a cabriolet and also love a quality quiche.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Giller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
I have a cabriolet and also love a quality quiche.
+1.....love that quiche! Oh, and my Boxster....
Old 05-10-2015, 10:51 AM
silent slayer
6th Gear

I would prefer a manual - BUT only if I had a second Auto car.

When I had my manual 997.1 I also had a BMW X5 (obviously Auto)

I now have just one car and it's a 997.2 PDK.

I only drive 2000 miles a year so can no longer justify two cars and driving through London in a manual is NOT fun - even in a 911!!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:57 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

OK, you got my goat!! My manhood is in question!

I spent 23 years in this man's Army, mostly in Special Forces and Special Operations Forces, and some mech infantry time. I have an average jump altitude of 22,100 feet, max of 35,000 feet. I've seen combat on four continents, and am decorated for some of those.

I drive a PDK, so, I'm not a real man? I hope you're just being cute with this. Or you're just showing your ignorance.

And my wife quite capably drove my 6spd ex-6GT3, and her TR4s and TR6s in earlier years.

Go crawl in your hole.

(BTW, I do prefer a mt over the PDK!)

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 05-10-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:00 AM
silent slayer
6th Gear

@max racer - your mom had no problem driving my manual!!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:19 AM
ejs1
Rennlist Member

I think the question about which one is better is too black and white to me. It's like asking which one if your kids you love the most... I'm fortunate to have both transmissions and they are both very good in their own ways. However, I think manual Porsches will be very sought after in 10-20 years when nobody makes them anymore so I definitely plan on keeping one in my garage in the long run.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel even more in control when I'm walking. Best part about that is it saved me over $100k!

max_racer; 2 posts, both stupid, in response to a thread that was (thankfully) lying dormant since 2011. Are you finished?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:45 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Can you say "troll?"

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual?