Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen gas fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm feeling cheated because I spent all that money on a fancy Nitrogen fill and they didn't even give me any fancy green caps. I feel so used!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I knew we could make this a 4 pager!

Selo, you don't want green caps. It would clash with your 911.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
hattawi

I've seen the machine that sucks the air from the tires then replaces the "empty space" with nitrogen... While it's sucking, the tire curls into the inside like a crushed soda can...

the question that I had in my head was doesn't that affect the structure of the tire in a bad way??!!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hattawi
I've seen the machine that sucks the air from the tires then replaces the "empty space" with nitrogen... While it's sucking, the tire curls into the inside like a crushed soda can...

the question that I had in my head was doesn't that affect the structure of the tire in a bad way??!!
Not sure, but our (some of us) Porsche space saver spares, do this with no ill effects. It's pretty cool, actually.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires can withstand going 180mph and corner at +1g. I think it can handle a little bit of curl.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 AM
hattawi

Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm feeling cheated because I spent all that money on a fancy Nitrogen fill and they didn't even give me any fancy green caps. I feel so used!
I have some green caps I can send you. Expect about a 10 Hp gain but they do weigh more.

When my dealer performed this they didin't draw down the tires that much, they still had their original shape during the entire procedure.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

So now that the world's problems with tire interiors can be solved with N2 on the inside, how do we solve the REAL issue of rubber aging on the outside surface of the tire? Actually UV and O3 are much more of an issue than O2 on the inside. Oh, I forgot.... all of these issues have been addressed successfully many, many years ago through rubber compound development.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hattawi, great pics. fahrer, go back to your efforts on world peace.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

hattawi, are those tires Pirelli Trofeo? Do you track them?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
hattawi

Originally Posted by mdrums
hattawi, are those tires Pirelli Trofeo? Do you track them?
These trofeos are not my tires but for another fellow rennlister.. I think I have some sanity left not to crush my tires like this for the sake of nitrogen...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-must-see.html

am not sure but I think the shred might have been caused by this procedure...

and yes I have the trofeos, amazing grip but you have to get the pressure as low as 2.0 bar. They warm up pretty fast also.. the only problem with them is the high price and the low tread life... so far 2.5 track days with half tread remaining... no street use...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM
Romulus90
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYKING
Your using Nitrogen in your tires was not a waste of money. Where you bought it might be. My Porsche dealer installs it for $20 all four tires with unlimited refills. Some Discount Tires locations have the same deal.
I use Nitrogen in all my tires. The main reason is it does not corrode the wheels and degrade the tires. Oxygen is very corrosive to the rubber and it will seep out over time. Nitrogen molecules are larger and cannot seep through.
You should know, the Air Force uses Nitrogen in all their aircraft tires because the gas is inert and in cases of heavy braking, when the wheels heat up, the gas does not expand and if a tire blows it reduces the oxygen available to the fire.
Check out Jay Leno on Nitrogen: http://www.getnitrogen.org/n2study/video/leno.html
How many used cars have you seen with corroded wheels due to type of gas used to fill the tires and tires that have been eaten away from the inside by air?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
So now that the world's problems with tire interiors can be solved with N2 on the inside, how do we solve the REAL issue of rubber aging on the outside surface of the tire? Actually UV and O3 are much more of an issue than O2 on the inside. Oh, I forgot.... all of these issues have been addressed successfully many, many years ago through rubber compound development.
This topic is similar to the oil debates... Ah, the fun.

I am seriously considering Nitrogen for my cars for three reasons:

1) my CPOd 997.1 came with the pretty "green" caps. I have noticed minimal loss in tire pressure on my CPOd 997 after 5000 miles (including a very, VERY spirited "fun run" on the Tail of the Dragon with fellow Rennlisters from the 997 GT3 board back in May) when compared to air...

2) my Speedster seems to dry-rot tires from the inside every 3-4 years with minimal mileage (less than 400 miles per year), and has done so three times across brands. The car rarely sees sun, and is in essence a stored vehicle. I am concerned that O2 on the inside is the core issue as UV rays and external heat are not a factor. I live in a high desert climate, so humidity is a non-issue.

3) gas mileage... I understand that F1 and racing teams use nitrogen to cut down on the variable of tire inflation. For DDs, this would manifest itself in gas mileage (proper tire inflation).

Costco will "fill" nitrogen tires for free. A call to three different Costcos in Salt Lake City this morning confirmed that "retrofitting" tires with nitrogen is up to the manager's discretion. They prefer to sell you the tires with the nitrogen.

Still unsure what to do... I have an awesome air compressor at my track garage, and a portable one at the home garage - so clearly that is preferred.

I was hoping to learn that Nitrogen is 10X better - rather than 1.2x better per this thread... More data would be helpful

-Blake

Last edited by blake; 08-17-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"There is a sucker born every minute"

P.T. Barnum
Old 08-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm happy with the stock 70% nitrogen fill that comes with the car... its easier for me to maintain at home anyway.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen gas fill