Sponsored by:

Nitrogen gas fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Nitrogen gas fill

So, what does anyone of know about filling the tires with Nitrogen gas? I got suckered into it today at my 15k mi service. Is it a scam? 50 bucks with lifetime guarantee..."just bring it by anytiime...."
Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been covered here a ton. I like it for winter hibernation, mainly due to being a very dry air (stable).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

you pretty much took a hosing.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nitrogen keeps it's pressure longer in the tire, and is drier. It's not a waste of money if you like the piece of mind knowing that you won't have to check your pressure as much with it in the tires. Racers use it because there isn't as much pressure fluctuation due to temperature changes in the tires with it. If they were willing to give you lifetime top-offs with it, it wasn't a waste of money.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Nitrogen keeps it's pressure longer in the tire, and is drier. It's not a waste of money if you like the piece of mind knowing that you won't have to check your pressure as much with it in the tires. Racers use it because there isn't as much pressure fluctuation due to temperature changes in the tires with it. If they were willing to give you lifetime top-offs with it, it wasn't a waste of money.
Race teams mainly use it because it is a non flammable gas, and they run their tools off it too.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 PM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Air is a mixture of gases - 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen - with traces of water vapor, carbon dioxide, argon, and various other components. So, you paid $50 for a wee bit more N and a little less O, and maybe a little less H2O.

We're all free to spend out money as we choose.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The $50 is really just covering the labor, not much expense in the nitrogen. Nitrogen is a very good idea in wheels with tpms in them because it is very dry. Moisture in tires air can corrode the sensors and cause premature failure.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Your using Nitrogen in your tires was not a waste of money. Where you bought it might be. My Porsche dealer installs it for $20 all four tires with unlimited refills. Some Discount Tires locations have the same deal.
I use Nitrogen in all my tires. The main reason is it does not corrode the wheels and degrade the tires. Oxygen is very corrosive to the rubber and it will seep out over time. Nitrogen molecules are larger and cannot seep through.
You should know, the Air Force uses Nitrogen in all their aircraft tires because the gas is inert and in cases of heavy braking, when the wheels heat up, the gas does not expand and if a tire blows it reduces the oxygen available to the fire.
Check out Jay Leno on Nitrogen: http://www.getnitrogen.org/n2study/video/leno.html
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYKING
Oxygen is very corrosive to the rubber and it will seep out over time. Nitrogen molecules are larger and cannot seep through.
The atomic number of Nitrogen is 7, and 8 for Oxygen. How do you claim that a Nitrogen molecule is lager than an Oxygen molecule?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Nitrogen in tires is the biggest scam ever. Airs is mostly nitrogen and any oxygen in the tiresfrom air will not degrade your tires or the performance of your tires. The biggest enemy of tires is ozone and that is on the outside of your tires. Nitrogen as with all gasses expands when heated up. I don't know where some of you folks read this stuff but if nitrogen is free... fine... if you must pay for it... well... it's your money. Keep the receipts with your pet rocks.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The atomic number of Nitrogen is 7, and 8 for Oxygen. How do you claim that a Nitrogen molecule is lager than an Oxygen molecule?
The N2 molecule is quite a bit larger than O2 which is actually how they are separated industrially. It has to do with the bonding structure/electron cloud

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Nitrogen in tires is the biggest scam ever. Airs is mostly nitrogen and any oxygen in the tiresfrom air will not degrade your tires or the performance of your tires. The biggest enemy of tires is ozone and that is on the outside of your tires. Nitrogen as with all gasses expands when heated up. I don't know where some of you folks read this stuff but if nitrogen is free... fine... if you must pay for it... well... it's your money. Keep the receipts with your pet rocks.
Expansion per se isn't the issue. You are correct that all gases expand in response to temp elevation (Gas Laws, high school chemistry). However most of the expansion of a tire (actually more the pressure rise) is due to the water vapor balance. N2 keeps the tires drier and therefore the pressure change is less. On the street, especially with TPMS I think it's a pretty moot point

oh, and no flammability is not why racing teams use it, pressure changes is... further, it won't corrode their tools. But many teams just use air compressors anyway.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for the interesting responses. A definite maybe.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The silly part of the entire Nitrogen fill issue is HOW does anyone fill a new tire completely with 100% nitrogen? Think about it.

When a tire is first mounted on a rim, they do this in ambient AIR, roughly 78% nitrogen, and the balance is all that other stuff. Once the bead is set, do they then VACUUM out the air in the tire and replace it entirely with 100% nitrogen? Of course they don't. Unless they have their tire mounting machines in a completely sealed off enclosure with 100% nitrogen in it they are never delivering on their promise.

It's a sucker's game. In the aerospace business we are seeking 100% nitrogen so that in the ultra cold environment of high altitudes and/or space no moisture is captured inside a tire that can freeze up and cause issues later. Nitrogen provides a more stable pressure. Trust me, when an aircraft tire is mounted and filled with nitrogen, it's done a lot differently than any passenger car wheel and tire.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:05 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01

When a tire is first mounted on a rim, they do this in ambient AIR, roughly 78% nitrogen, and the balance is all that other stuff. Once the bead is set, do they then VACUUM out the air in the tire and replace it entirely with 100% nitrogen? Of course they don't. Unless they have their tire mounting machines in a completely sealed off enclosure with 100% nitrogen in it they are never delivering on their promise.

It's a sucker's game. In the aerospace business we are seeking 100% nitrogen so that in the ultra cold environment of high altitudes and/or space no moisture is captured inside a tire that can freeze up and cause issues later. Nitrogen provides a more stable pressure. Trust me, when an aircraft tire is mounted and filled with nitrogen, it's done a lot differently than any passenger car wheel and tire.
True, but most practical teams/drivers will purge at least 3-5X before the final charge. Not 100% N2 at that point but depending on vol, technique and target pressure you can get reasonably clean. Not "aerospace" as you note, but good enough to make a difference on the track. On the street... not so much. Though I don't think the OP "wasted" his money, just of small benefit. Of course he will also keep going back for "free" fill ups, and that will stimulate return business for the Service dept. In fact a dealer I know will fill "good customers" for free.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Beaboarder
7th Gear

Add Title

Quick Reply: Nitrogen gas fill