Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen gas fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Consumer Reports looked at the pressure-retaining properties of nitrogen filled tires.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nitrogen-.html

They basically found that nitrogen-filled tires lost 1.3ps less pressure in 1 year when compared to air-filled tires. Their methodology is discussed here:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...en-tires-.html
Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Consumer Reports looked at the pressure-retaining properties of nitrogen filled tires.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nitrogen-.html

They basically found that nitrogen-filled tires lost 1.3ps less pressure in 1 year when compared to air-filled tires. Their methodology is discussed here:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...en-tires-.html
Conclusion.....non issue!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allegretto
The N2 molecule is quite a bit larger than O2 which is actually how they are separated industrially. It has to do with the bonding structure/electron cloud

Expansion per se isn't the issue. You are correct that all gases expand in response to temp elevation (Gas Laws, high school chemistry). However most of the expansion of a tire (actually more the pressure rise) is due to the water vapor balance. N2 keeps the tires drier and therefore the pressure change is less. On the street, especially with TPMS I think it's a pretty moot point

oh, and no flammability is not why racing teams use it, pressure changes is... further, it won't corrode their tools. But many teams just use air compressors anyway.
High water vapor in one's tire is from the compressor. One needs to maintain the compressor to keep the moisture content low. N2 in tires is 99% BS.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I figure it this way: I fill my tires w/ air & it's 78% N. The "air" to leave the tire is not the N and the N increases a higher % of the "air" in the tire. Therefore with enough refills you are left with nothing but N.
A side benefit for checking the tire pressure once a month is looking at the tread for wear spots, cuts & nails which will cause a big leak even w/ N in the tire.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Unless an air compressor has a very sophisticated drying system, we put a fair amount of water vapor into our tires when we will them. Nitrogen is dry - no water vapor. As a result, it expands less with heat, doesn't ice up (aircraft) and reduces corrosion. Done correctly the tire has to be purged of air before filling with nitrogen. For a street driven car, the benefits are less obvious. On a race car or jet aircraft, it is worthwhile and in the case of a jet, essential since air temps at altitude can be -74 C which is -101 fahrenheit!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fahrer
High water vapor in one's tire is from the compressor. One needs to maintain the compressor to keep the moisture content low. N2 in tires is 99% BS.
Ummm, have to not agree

N2 does not attract water, O2 does. We call that "humidity" in most circles, but you can also call it vapor pressure.

I'm not sure N2 has much of a place in street applications but nonetheless to just say, "you're wrong, it doesn't exist", or "just maintain your compressor" is... incorrect.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a costco membership, you can fill your tires with nitrogen for "free" there. They use it in their tire shop and don't charge extra for it. I'm sure its designed for it but how does the water vapor effect the TPMS?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My local dealer put Nitrogen in my tires at no charge. I was watching how they did it and basically they have a machine which connects to all four tires and then evacuates all tires. Once the tires are evacuated to a certain point (I didn't ask how much ) they start the Nitrogen fill process. Mine was done about 6 weeks ago and the pressures have not changed. I see about a 4 - 7 PSI pressure rise (based on TPMS) depending on how hard I'm driving the car and outside temperatures.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
My local dealer put Nitrogen in my tires at no charge. I was watching how they did it and basically they have a machine which connects to all four tires and then evacuates all tires. Once the tires are evacuated to a certain point (I didn't ask how much ) they start the Nitrogen fill process. Mine was done about 6 weeks ago and the pressures have not changed. I see about a 4 - 7 PSI pressure rise (based on TPMS) depending on how hard I'm driving the car and outside temperatures.
I see the same increase in psi in my 911 with plain old air when my tires warm up. By the way my tires do not lose air pressure either ( over months of use).

I am convinced that N2 falls under the same category as the deer whistles you can put on your car or the inline "fuel ionizers" to increase your MPG. One thing is for sure, folks are talking about it.......like flying saucers.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I see about a 4 - 7 PSI pressure rise (based on TPMS) depending on how hard I'm driving the car and outside temperatures.
I thought no pressure changes, or very little change, with temperature was supposed to be one of the big advantages with nitrogen vs air. I personally like the German air that came in my tires from the factory. Love the smell of it! By the way, make sure you rotate the nitrogen in your tires periodically to keep it fresh.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we can get at least a 4 pager on this one.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm a firm believer in factory air in each and every tire.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I'm a firm believer in factory air in each and every tire.
True, but the refills are a bitch.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a nitrogen recovery system that I use when changing tires.
It cleans and conditions the nitrogen prior to re-use.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My car at the dealership right now for HPFP service bulletin. They just called asking if I wanted Nitrogen in my tires. I didn't even ask the price, just said no thank you.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen gas fill