Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Castrol Edge Porsche Approved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up New Castrol Edge Porsche Approved?

Castrol has replaced Syntec with "Castrol Edge with Syntec Tecnology".

Anyone konw if Porsche has approved this new oil?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Web Site said:
REFORMULATED FOR EVEN BETTER PERFORMANCE: INTRODUCING CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC POWER TECHNOLOGY.

For years, you’ve depended on the power of Castrol SYNTEC to outperform conventional motor oils. Now, we’ve reformulated SYNTEC to outperform even itself:
In extreme tests, Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC Power Technology maintained maximum horsepower 30% longer than Castrol SYNTEC [1]
New, powerful dispersant molecule suspends particles to fight power-robbing deposits [2]
Improved formula continues to keep the engine running at peak power longer [1]
Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC Power Technology performs better than conventional oil in the toughest industry tests
Superior protection against deposits. Corrosive particles such as acid, soot and oxidized fuel fragments can cause costly damage to critical engine parts
Powerful Additive Package that neutralizes corrosive particles, preventing them from grouping together and forming deposits.
Neutralizes acids in your engine that can cause rust and corrosion on vital engine parts such as cylinders, bearings and hydraulic valve lifters
Meets the world's toughest industry gasoline engine protection requirements [3]
Provides Stability & Endurance under extreme conditions (heat, load, speed) that can cause conventional oils to break down
Delivers the ultimate performance under high-temperature conditions: unsurpassed protection against volatility burn-off and viscosity increase
Can be used with confidence in every gasoline engine passenger car, new or old, regardless of oil previously used [4]
Fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils

When I asked Castrol your question via the live chat this is what they said:

You are now chatting with 'AL'
AL: Thank you for contacting Castrol. How may we assist you today?
John: Fine Thank you. Is CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC approved for Porsche?
AL: What is the year of your Porsche?
AL: And model?
John: 2006 Porsche Carrera
AL: Please hold for one moment while I look into that for you.
John: Thank you
AL: Unfortunately we do not have a listing for your model. However all other models show an API* recommendation that indicates any formula can be used. Please confirm with Porsche if this is the same for the Carrera.
AL: Is there anything else we can assist you with today?
John: Thanks
AL: Have a great day! Castrol appreciates your business!
Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

The Edge is on the Porsche list. The question is does it have the same P and Zn content as the Syntec? Also... what API rating? Still SL or only SM?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks NA011 for the research! ADias where did you see Edge listed on the Porsche list?
I will ask Castrol those questions.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sullivas
Thanks NA011 for the research! ADias where did you see Edge listed on the Porsche list?
I will ask Castrol those questions.
You can find it in the Porsche Approved Oils list - see pertinent page below.

Good luck asking Castrol questions!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Castrol has replaced Syntec with "Castrol Edge with Syntec Tecnology".

Anyone konw if Porsche has approved this new oil?
Thanks
If the oil is approved by Porsche it will say so on the label. 'A40' is the classification that Porsche uses for oils approved for its sports cars (including the new Panamera models) and Cayennes. (C30 for its Cayenne V6 hybrid and diesel).

My info is that the Castrol oils that are approved are the following oils with the regions and the certificate expiration date:

Syntec 5w-40 - USA, CAN - 19.11.2012
SLX Professional 5w-40 WW (World Wide) - 19.11.2012

There are a couple of other oils that are approved for regions other than the USA and one oil that was approved: Edge 0W-40 - WW -- 25.01.2011 but this oil's approval certificate has expired.

Oh, the above info comes from a document dated July 29, 2010 and which is stated that it replaces the approved list number 36/08 dated Sept. 4, 2009 and covers all cars from Model year 1984.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I also posted on Renntech.org if anyone is interested in info offered there.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
NA011
Racer

Tomorrow I'll asked Castrol the question via the live chat if the oil meets the 'A40' is the classification & if it has the same P and Zn content as the Syntec.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:16 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

[QUOTE=NA011;8741032]You are now chatting with 'AL'
John: Fine Thank you. Is CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC approved for Porsche?
AL: What is the year of your Porsche?
AL: And model?
John: 2006 Porsche Carrera
John: Thank you
AL: Unfortunately we do not have a listing for your model. However all other models show an API* recommendation that indicates any formula can be used. Please confirm with Porsche if this is the same for the Carrera.
John: Thanks
AL: Have a great day! Castrol appreciates your business!
Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.[/QUOTE

I believe the Castrol chat operator could not directly tell you about application to your car because you told them the model was the "Carrera". The model is the 911, not Carrera and I'm sure the operator was simply clicking on a drop down box and could not find Carrera anywhere. Only Boxster, Cayenne, 911, and Panamera.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
NA011
Racer

Al's answer to today's questions:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
John: Does the CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC oil meet the 'A40' classification & does it have the same P and Zn content as the Syntec?

Ten minutes later

AL: Our SYNTEC 5W40 European formula meets the A40 spec but not the EDGE products at this time
AL: The ZDDP levels of our Syntec product is considered proprietary
John: Does the Edge have the same ZDDP as Syntec?
AL: The ZDDP levels of our products is considered proprietary

No answer to the ZDDP level
Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks again John. If they won't say how much ZDDP is in the oil that's not a good sign. Maybe time to switch oils again.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by NA011
Al's answer to today's questions:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
John: Does the CASTROL EDGE WITH SYNTEC oil meet the 'A40' classification & does it have the same P and Zn content as the Syntec?

Ten minutes later

AL: Our SYNTEC 5W40 European formula meets the A40 spec but not the EDGE products at this time
AL: The ZDDP levels of our Syntec product is considered proprietary
John: Does the Edge have the same ZDDP as Syntec?
AL: The ZDDP levels of our products is considered proprietary

No answer to the ZDDP level
My info is both Syntec and Edge oils consist of synthetic base stock oil highly refined consisting of from 90% to 95% of this by weight. The rest of the oil is made up of additives.

There is arsenic, nickel, cadmium, and lead listed but not their precentages, at least not in a format that I can make any sense of. Nickel is listed at 100lbs, Cadium at 10lbs, Arsenic is 1lb and Lead 10lbs. In how many pounds of oil these amounts come from I have no idea.

While the ZDDP levels are proprietary you can find them easily enough by running an oil analysis on an unused sample.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Castrol response to my inquiry:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol.

Please contact one of the following Castrol Distributors, they will be happy to assist you with your inquiry.

The new EDGE with Syntec power technology product is API SN certified. Our additive systems and base oils are proprietary and chosen for performance and suitability first. Castrol uses only the highest quality materials, including synthetic base oils.

Castrol Consumer Relations "

Note the API SN certification... the latest eco-driven certification lacking key engine protective additives.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
Castrol response to my inquiry:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol.

Please contact one of the following Castrol Distributors, they will be happy to assist you with your inquiry.

The new EDGE with Syntec power technology product is API SN certified. Our additive systems and base oils are proprietary and chosen for performance and suitability first. Castrol uses only the highest quality materials, including synthetic base oils.

Castrol Consumer Relations "

Note the API SN certification... the latest eco-driven certification lacking key engine protective additives.
Not sure how much benefit those 'anti-wear additives' bring to the table. Everyone (it seems) laments their absence but...

The additive particles have to be small in order to pass through the filter element. This means that they are at least the same size as any aluminum oxide that is in the oil. Alum. when exposed to air develops an oxide 'skin' and while this is a pretty tough material (it is in a more refined state used as an industrial abrasive) it does slough off. If there is 'alum' found in an oil analysis there is alum. oxide in the oil. An abrasive.

So if the oil breaks down enough that these tiny metal particles of anti-wear additives are the only thing that stands between the two metal parts these anti-wear additives are the same size at that abrasive alum. oxide. Which do you think will have the most effect? The relatively soft anti-wear additives or the very hard alum. oxide?

Besides the real point is to run an oil that will *not* break down. If one is running an oil that the oil maker believes needs something 'extra' that only comes into play if the oil breaks down that suggests to me the oil is not suitable for use by the very presence of these anti-wear additives.

If the additives do not come into play -- the oil doesn't break down -- then simply by their presence they are 'taking' away something. And that something is oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

You have a point, but not in the so distant past, oil had much higher P and Zn content and that was though beneficial for the life of high friction parts, such as crankcase bearings. There is tear-down evidence that oils with lower P and Zn content develop problems - see LN Engineering page on this matter.

I remember oils containing graphite - a solid lubricant - being used and proven to add significant protection wear. Those are nowhere to be found today, that I know of.

Quick Reply: New Castrol Edge Porsche Approved?