Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Castrol Edge Porsche Approved?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to go looking. My Indie uses Motul so I thought I'd look at it.
Porsche has 3 Motuls on the approved list, 1 is for France, 1 expires Oct 2011(X-Cess 5W-40) and the third is X-Clean 5W-40 but has this info (from Amazon.com):

This lubricant is specially designed for last generation cars which are powered by turbo diesel direct injection or gasoline engines, EURO IV emission regulation compliant, requiring an ACEA C3 engine oil, high HTHS (> 3.5 mPa.s) viscosity and "Mid SAPS" with reduced content of suphated ash (= 0.8 precentage), phosphorus (0.07 = x = 0.09 precentage) and sulphur (= 0.3 precentage). It is suitable for any type of diesel or gasoline engines calling for ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 lubricants. For BMW vehicles, this product can be used for gasoline engines only in European Union countries, Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein. Refer to BMW recommendation. Do not use for engines from VW group fitted with DPF when VW 507 00 is required. Engines compliant with EURO IV emission regulation are fitted with sensitive exhaust gas after treatment systems where sulphur and phosphorus inhibit catalytic convertors operation and can damage catalytic components resulting in inefficient exhaust gas treatment. Sulfated ashes clog diesel particulate filter thus shortening it's regenerating cycle and resulting in higher fuel consumption and engine power loss. ACEA developed ACEA C3 standard for lubricants with high HTHS (> 3.5 mPa.s), reduced Sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur content (Mid SAPS), suitable for use with exhaust gas after treatment systems. ACEA C3 lubricants achieve extended drain intervals managed by vehicle's computer on board.

Is this good for an M96 engine? Sounds like it is really meant for injected diesel and to meet Euro IV emission standards.

Here's the stuff on Pentosin High Performance II which is an approved oil:

The Pentosin Pento 5W40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil offers optimum performance efficiency and fuel economy even under the mot severe driving conditions. APPLICATIONS: Audi/Volkswagen with 502 and 505 engine oil specs, BMW with LL-98 engine oil pecs, and Mercedes-Benz with MB 229.3 engine oil specs. NOTE: Always consult the vehicle owner's manual to identify motor oil specification requirements.

Sounds better than the Motul to me. Anyone using Pentosin?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Mobil 1 0W40 still has decent P and Zn amounts and API SL certification.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Mobil 1 0W40 still has decent P and Zn amounts and API SL certification.
Yes I know but LN recommends a 5w-40 for the M96, and with their experience with the IMS I feel better going with their advice. Even though ExxonMobil makes a 5W-40 I can't find it anywhere, except for the oil for Diesel use.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told to use edge 10w40(for here in Atlanta) by Flat6. he claims that it is the best oil on the market for the m96/97 engines.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:33 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 66mustang
I was told to use edge 10w40(for here in Atlanta) by Flat6. he claims that it is the best oil on the market for the m96/97 engines.
Wonder what he is basing that on. It doesn't have the A40 rating according to Castrol if you read further up the post.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Castrol Syntec, full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 for daily and track use. It has the Porsche approval: Porsche A40 designation right on the plastic container which is pretty neat.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvazquez
I use the Castrol Syntec, full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 for daily and track use. It has the Porsche approval: Porsche A40 designation right on the plastic container which is pretty neat.
That's what this thread is about. Find a source and buy it up before it's gone. It's being replaced by Edge in 2 different formulations and neither is classified A40 by Castrol as before.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Time to go looking. My Indie uses Motul so I thought I'd look at it.
Porsche has 3 Motuls on the approved list, 1 is for France, 1 expires Oct 2011(X-Cess 5W-40) and the third is X-Clean 5W-40 but has this info (from Amazon.com):

This lubricant is specially designed for last generation cars which are powered by turbo diesel direct injection or gasoline engines, EURO IV emission regulation compliant, requiring an ACEA C3 engine oil, high HTHS (> 3.5 mPa.s) viscosity and "Mid SAPS" with reduced content of suphated ash (= 0.8 precentage), phosphorus (0.07 = x = 0.09 precentage) and sulphur (= 0.3 precentage). It is suitable for any type of diesel or gasoline engines calling for ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 lubricants. For BMW vehicles, this product can be used for gasoline engines only in European Union countries, Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein. Refer to BMW recommendation. Do not use for engines from VW group fitted with DPF when VW 507 00 is required. Engines compliant with EURO IV emission regulation are fitted with sensitive exhaust gas after treatment systems where sulphur and phosphorus inhibit catalytic convertors operation and can damage catalytic components resulting in inefficient exhaust gas treatment. Sulfated ashes clog diesel particulate filter thus shortening it's regenerating cycle and resulting in higher fuel consumption and engine power loss. ACEA developed ACEA C3 standard for lubricants with high HTHS (> 3.5 mPa.s), reduced Sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur content (Mid SAPS), suitable for use with exhaust gas after treatment systems. ACEA C3 lubricants achieve extended drain intervals managed by vehicle's computer on board.

Is this good for an M96 engine? Sounds like it is really meant for injected diesel and to meet Euro IV emission standards.

Here's the stuff on Pentosin High Performance II which is an approved oil:

The Pentosin Pento 5W40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil offers optimum performance efficiency and fuel economy even under the mot severe driving conditions. APPLICATIONS: Audi/Volkswagen with 502 and 505 engine oil specs, BMW with LL-98 engine oil pecs, and Mercedes-Benz with MB 229.3 engine oil specs. NOTE: Always consult the vehicle owner's manual to identify motor oil specification requirements.

Sounds better than the Motul to me. Anyone using Pentosin?
Porsche doesn't in its approved oils list mention any API, SAE or ACEA classifications other than it uses the SAE viscosity classifications like 0w-40, 5w-40 and 5w-50 in referring to various approved oils.

While the owners manual indicates that oils of a subset of SAE/API and ACEA classifications can be used the manual somewhere refers you to when in doubt (or words to this effect) consult with a Porsche dealer. The dealer will defer to the techs and the techs have an approved oils list to go by. Some dealers stray from this list though as do many indy shops.

There are 3 Motul oils listed. Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40 is listed for use WW (world wide) but its approval certificate expires 23.10.2011. 8100 X-clean 5w-40 is approved for use WW and its approval runs to 08.03.2013. The other Motul oil Synergie 5w-40 is approved for France only.

I do not see a Pentosin motor oil on my approved oils list. There is Panolin, Pennzoil-Quaker State, Petrogal S.A. galp energia, Petronas Lubricants International, and Profi-Tech. These are the only oils in the 'P' section of the list.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

In most recent cases, re-formulation of Oil has resulted in a worse oil in general, it sure looks like this is the case. Either they move to a cheaper formula, or make it more eco-friendly by removing additives that protect engines.

The old Castrol 5W40 looks to be the only one we should use with our cars, although I've only used Motul, Lubro Moly or Total 5W40 in my car, all three have superior protection than either Castrol or Mobil-1.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Macster - I got the latest list from a download on Renntech.org.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Just picked up a case of Syntec 5w-40. If you call around you can still get what's left.
I was on the Motul web site and they recommend 8100 x-cess and 8100 x-clean
for our cars and claim A40 approval. Since Porsche recommends the same I'll switch over to Motul next time.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Just picked up a case of Syntec 5w-40. If you call around you can still get what's left.
I was on the Motul web site and they recommend 8100 x-cess and 8100 x-clean
for our cars and claim A40 approval. Since Porsche recommends the same I'll switch over to Motul next time.
Good move. They probably make the best lubricants that's available in NA. My Indy also says good things about Total 5W40, which is also A40 approved.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Macster - I got the latest list from a download on Renntech.org.
Let me double check. I have several approved oils list PDFs and I thought I opened the most recent one... Be right back...

Mine's got a couple of different dates but the section on A40 oils is dated July 29, 2010.

Let me see what the one on Renntech has for dates...

Ok, I have the one from Renntech March 9, 2011. Obviously it is newer than the one I was referring to.

However, I still do not see a Pentosin brand oil listed.

Oh, wait now I see my mistake. Pentosin is listed under 'Deutsche Pentosin-Werke' and I simply overlooked it thinking it would be in the 'P' section.

In fact I see Deutsche Pentosin-Werke oils listed in the approved oils list from July of 2010.

Sorry for the mixup. You were right and I was wrong.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

No problem, I found it by accident.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh yeah...good ole oil thread.

So what is so wrong with Mobil 1?

Quick Reply: New Castrol Edge Porsche Approved?