Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use detail clay? (If not, why you should.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question; after you wash the car then use the clay-bar (with supplied lubricant), do you need to wash it again before waxing to get rid of the clay/lube residue?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I clay the car every other year, or once a year depending how much deposited grit I feel on the surface. Then pure glaze, and seal with wax(which I do at least 2X a year).
Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
I have a question; after you wash the car then use the clay-bar (with supplied lubricant), do you need to wash it again before waxing to get rid of the clay/lube residue?
Yes, you must.

John
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgoga
Yes, you must.

John
Thanks, John
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So, have you ever used detail clay on your car? If not, maybe you should; you might be very pleasantly surprised by the results.
You mean these cars need to be cleaned?

A premium automatic/touch free car wash with a towel dry by hand once a month is good for me. I wish I could be interested in keeping it spotless, but I just can't. Any time I spend with the car is behind the wheel.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
rebattery
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the woods and I clay two to three times a year--- it's a must!!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

As long as you use a good detailer spray you need not wash your car again after the claying as long as you don't drive the car before polishing or waxing. Griots along w/ speed shine works well. I have also read very nice reviews on Lumiere clay. Once clayed inspect the paint for any swirls. If there is some minor swirling which one would always expect for any car please use the least abrasive polish (I love Menzerna polishes which IMHO is the best). Claying is a must atleast once a year at the very least. I do it twice a year right before and after winter. For dark colored cars I go w/ wax to bring out the warmth of the color. For light colored cars I use sealant as the LSP (last step product) for paint protection. Sealants are more durable. If you do wax the color then don't bother w/ auto car washes coz in just a few washes the wax would be stripped. Sealants are little more durable. Mike, I've always been a fan of GT silver but your arctic silver looks great in those photos and is more representative of the classic Porsche silver.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Mike, I've always been a fan of GT silver but your arctic silver looks great in those photos and is more representative of the classic Porsche silver.
Thanks, Amar!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM
robwebb
Advanced

Originally Posted by uzj100
Mike

Good for you for claying your cars........but #7 is not a polish, it's a glaze, so the "correction" you're seeing is probably the #7 filling in and partially masking the defects.

If you're using a QD spray after a drive, chances are you're adding to surface marring. Because of the silver color, you won't notice it as much. When you're up to it, try washing, claying, polishing, then sealing with a wax of your choice.

Just as there are degrees of abrasiveness in polishes, there are different levels of contaminant removal level via different clays.

HTH
So Mike, after one cleans the entire car with clay and lubricant, what polish do you use to seal it again. I have ordered Harly Wax which I hope will do a good job - anyone have an opinion on that?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
robwebb
Advanced

Originally Posted by rebattery
I live in the woods and I clay two to three times a year--- it's a must!!
I'm planning to follow the clay procedure with Harly Wax, what do you use? Thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM
robwebb
Advanced

Originally Posted by gravedgr
You mean these cars need to be cleaned?

A premium automatic/touch free car wash with a towel dry by hand once a month is good for me. I wish I could be interested in keeping it spotless, but I just can't. Any time I spend with the car is behind the wheel.
You know, it probably sounds weird, but I enjoy the time I spend detailing the car almost as much as I enjoy driving it. beer in hand, Diana Krall blearing, dog watching and thinking "crazy human" - what could be so much fun. oh yeah, I know, THAT! That always comes first but out there in the garage with the 997.1, the beer, the music and the dog - comes a close second!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rob,

I used Rejex the last year I had my 996 ad have used it on my 997. I am very happy with the results. You can also use it on your wheels to make it easier to remove the brake dust.

It is available from Eric at BumperPlugs.com who is a great guy and a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:26 PM
spyd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ this, for years.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:37 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
Clean soapy wash water is a fine lube for a mild clay, so if there is an area I think will need it, I’ll wash that area first, give it a rinse and feel for the little telltale bumps on the paint. If necessary, I’ll reapply the soap or spray with QD and use the clay bar. Then rinse it off again as when washing. This saves the extra wash step and wiping up all the QD overspray doing it after the wash & dry. I’ve also found my clay stays cleaner this way.

Note not all clay lubes and clays play nice together. Some lubes will dissolve the binders in some clays, but not others. I mostly use griots wash soap and clay and find they work well together.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:55 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 393 Likes on 257 Posts

Old thread but I’ll contribute. I clay bar and protect each vehicle with the change over to winter/tires. Heading into winter makes me feel like I am giving it more protection and heading into summer makes me feel like the car is ready to be washed over and over with a good foundation.

Quick Reply: Do you use detail clay? (If not, why you should.)