Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use detail clay? (If not, why you should.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
This thread is useless without pics.

Not really but how can you wash, clay, wax without taking a picture afterwards?
That's actually an excellent point. I worked in the shade this morning but by the time I finished and got stuff put away the car was in full sunlight. You really need some shade, especially with silver, to get some good reflections in the paint. Besides, I've posted lots of pics of my car before and didn't want to overdo it. If it's not too late, I'll correct this error in the morning.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by DoninDen
My Guardsman red '07 Targa 4S should arrive Tuesday. I think a good way for me to really check out every inch of the car and make it pop will be to clay bar it. What should I buy for each step and what should the steps be to really make her stand out?
Check out the link that 997at posted above. Here is a more specific link on that site that gives info on how to use a clay bar.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html
Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to clay the windshield, too. Use some Stoner's or other good glass cleaner afterwards and it'll sparkle. Plus your wipers won't streak.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:37 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I go into the garage last night and under the artificial light I noticed previously unseen tiny water spots on the hood of my new Sand White Cayenne S. (One perk of a light color I suppose). Being an **** type I immediately get out my RO buffer and some Meguiars Show Car Glaze #7, a very mild polish that's great for removing surface blemishes, swirl marks, even light scratches. An hour and follow-up coat of wax later and the hood and front fenders are blemish free and smooth as glass. Of course, now I have to feel the finish on the Carrera S to compare, and I instantly know my morning project for the next day.

So this morning I polish the entire 911. The sides, top, and tail come out great but the hood and fenders, while looking fine, still don't quite have that baby-butt smoothness. I grab my detailing clay (should have done this first), lube it and the surface up good with detail spray, and gently rub down the finish. Even though I've used clay many times, the results always amaze me. First, how can a car like my Carrera that's washed and waxed regularly, wiped down with detail spray after a run to remove bugs and brake dust (told you I was ****), always garaged and covered, reveal so much contamination on the paint, even after a good buffing? And second, how can rubbing a piece of clay on the paint remove that contamination? Well it does, and if you've never used detail clay you'll be startled at the crud that comes off what you thought was a perfectly clean car. Anyway, the Carrera and it's bigger, younger sibling both have new, smooth as glass wax jobs.

So, have you ever used detail clay on your car? If not, maybe you should; you might be very pleasantly surprised by the results.
can I roll up this afternoon and have you do my car up?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Don't forget to clay the windshield, too. Use some Stoner's or other good glass cleaner afterwards and it'll sparkle. Plus your wipers won't streak.
Not just the windshield, but also the wheels.

Mike you're approach is the right one, always use the least aggressive products first and if it does the job then you're done. I was only pointing out that #7 doesn't do too much.

Enjoy the beauty!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, clay your wheels. I was amazed that the crap that I couldn't get off without tedious polishing came right off with the clay. Love the stuff. One point tho, it is wise to mask off the edge of any clear film you have as it will tend to leave a little clay behind that can be tough to get off.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 548 Posts

I just put on a pair of dark sunglasses before I go into the garage and the car always looks great.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I do every few years maybe. When I feel the benefit would be significant enough to invest the time and effort.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Great suggestions. I have a spot remover for glass that I use and finish up with Stoners but never thought to use clay; it might be easier. I'll try that, and on the wheels too. Per request, here are a few pics, better late than never.
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question; after you wash the car then use the clay-bar (with supplied lubricant), do you need to wash it again before waxing to get rid of the clay/lube residue?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I clay all the time. Most claybars will remove wax and sealants, so you will want to re-apply afterwards.

However, improper tools and techniques can put on as much swirls as driving through a construction zone. General rule of thumb: always glide, less scrubbing, less rubbing, more lube/spray detailer. Do yourself a favor, buy lube by the gallons. I spray detail my car nearly after every drive, and the amount of quik detailer I use, you would think I was washing it.

If you car is near perfect, and nearly all the time, you can try these steps. Wash, clay, then use a sealant with little cutting power. Like Meguire's #20, Menzerna Power Lock, 1Einzette Polish Wax, Dodo Juice Need for Speed Cleaner Wax, Grior's all in one sealant, etc. This way, you can skip polishing. Then if you like, and I do it on my car, top it off with a carnuba wax. So this is like a mini exterior detail and probably will take up half a day.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 AM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys,

Been using Griots clay putty with Griots Speed Shine as lubricant. Seems to work well.

Anybody else try or like this combo?

Regards,

UJ

Last edited by unclejosh; 07-24-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes 2x a year
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
db
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Claying is essential for maintaining a flawless paint finish. I just ran out of Griot's clay bar, and have the Pinnacle clay system on order from Autogeek. A detail session is planned for next weekend!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by db
Claying is essential for maintaining a flawless paint finish. I just ran out of Griot's clay bar, and have the Pinnacle clay system on order from Autogeek. A detail session is planned for next weekend!
Let me know how the Pinnacle Clay compares to the Griots, been using Griots for about 6 years now and have been fairly happy but always looking for better.

Quick Reply: Do you use detail clay? (If not, why you should.)