Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

James May Explains Why His 997.2 is better then Hammond's 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Clarkson has given Porsches plenty of praise over the years. It is the 911 he does not like. I know this is hard for 911 owners to believe, but there are plenty of enthusiasts that do not like the balance (or lack thereof) of a rear-engined car.

The only comments I was surprised about were his towards the Boxster Spyder. He has been very complementary of the Boxster and Cayman in previous reviews, does seem to appreciate focused drivers' cars even if compromised (Atom, for instance), and The Stig did a great lap in it (which JC dismissed completely).
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
xraydog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hates the Cayman. Calls it the cockster. I think he doesn't like how it sits neatly between the boxtster and 911 and isn't the car it could be.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

When it was introduced, JC was very complimentary of the Cayman's handling and drivetrain. He didn't like the looks (personal opinion, however I agree), nor how Porsche limits its capability (a unanimous criticism) and forces it into the gap in the market between the Boxster and 911 in terms of price and performance. It was a very fair and balanced review, and I agreed with it 100%.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Clarkson is a pompous ****, sociopolitically the British counterpart of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Bill O'Reilly rolled into one. His on-screen personna is, unfortunately, not an act. He's quite disliked by his peers off-screen. May and Hammond are his polar opposites, on and off screen.

That said, I find myself evoking Clarkson's acerbic vitriol when discussing the 997.2. I find the taillights so esthetically revolting and incompatible with the rest of the car that all the rest of the .2's improvements together don't weigh heavy enough to let me buy one. It's an example of design-by-committee and change-for-the-sake-of-change at their absolute worst.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. The cockster is the Boxster. The gayman is the Cayman. Why even have him review any Porsche?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
DLennox
Banned

It's mostly just for the entertainment value. I enjoy the show, but don't take too much of it seriously.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:15 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably best that way.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
[...] I find myself evoking Clarkson's acerbic vitriol when discussing the 997.2. I find the taillights so esthetically revolting and incompatible with the rest of the car that all the rest of the .2's improvements together don't weigh heavy enough to let me buy one. It's an example of design-by-committee and change-for-the-sake-of-change at their absolute worst.
The taillights? The taillights. Seriously? That's a lot of weight to give one appearance item.

How do you feel about those eyebrows on Cameron Diaz?

Gary
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
The taillights? The taillights. Seriously? That's a lot of weight to give one appearance item.

How do you feel about those eyebrows on Cameron Diaz?

Gary
It's true though. I'm a creative director and I feel it. Change for change sake when it comes to a design as well resolved at the 997.1 is very off-putting.

In fact...I can't think of a mid-model makeover I thought was better than the original. GT3RS.2 excepted of course;-)
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SharpMan
It's true though. I'm a creative director and I feel it. Change for change sake when it comes to a design as well resolved at the 997.1 is very off-putting.

In fact...I can't think of a mid-model makeover I thought was better than the original. GT3RS.2 excepted of course;-)
Okay, point taken, and you certainly have the right to a professional opinion in the matter.

Gary
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Okay, point taken, and you certainly have the right to a professional opinion in the matter.

Gary
As you say, however, it's not major...just makes me wonder how they convinced themselves it was necessary. I mean would they really sell fewer if they upgraded the engines, gearboxes, interior finishes, nav and AWD system but left the body the same? Does the .1 look dated?

I'm sure they know their business...or maybe they don't. I don't know...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SharpMan
As you say, however, it's not major...just makes me wonder how they convinced themselves it was necessary. I mean would they really sell fewer if they upgraded the engines, gearboxes, interior finishes, nav and AWD system but left the body the same? Does the .1 look dated?

I'm sure they know their business...or maybe they don't. I don't know...
Well, you know the saying "A change is as good as a rest" and I knew a few marketing people that insisted people want a rest once in a while from a too-well-known product. In this case, of course, the trick is change without changing the basic appeal. Still has to be a 911.

Gary
Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Well a lot of people were revulsed by the fried-egg headlights on the 996. At least the 996 headlights did flow with the body contours. The 997.2 taillights don't jibe with any of the lines whatsoever, they just droop along the bottom as though they're melting. All I hope is that just as with the 996 headlights, they come to their senses in the next model and charge someone with the design who has an understanding of styling cues...and who doesn't fancy Salvador Dali.

Quick Reply: James May Explains Why His 997.2 is better then Hammond's 997.1