Sponsored by:

water intrusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Grummantiger
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water intrusion

i have a 05 997s cab that is cpo. the issue is in florida we get occasional meaning daily heavy rains in the summer. about 2 months ago we got heavy rain and water got in and soaked the floor under the driver side seat making the control unit located there go nuts. i took the car in and they replaced the control unit and said they cleaned out the drains which had pollen etc clogging. well a the next heavy rain the car starts going crazy again and the driver side floorboard is damp. i also noticed the door seal on the driver side is wet at the bottom where it says carrera. if they just cleaned the drains and it seems to be somewhere near the door does anyone have an idea where this might be getting in? ive checked the top seal and it looks good. the car has to be outside as my office parking is outdoors. anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes. I had a similar issue. There was a hole in the drainage tube that runs down the a pillar. The tube is connected to the drain in the sunroof and runs the water down Do you notice some drips of water on the cover of the speaker? The water for me would drip out of tube, and go down a pillar then drip on side of dashboard onto floor usually hitting speaker a bit.

It could be a diff problem...mine was unique... But hope to help because it was annoying
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, i don't know. But some years ago, my son's Nissan Pathfinder had this exasperating dampness on the driver's side. About the time he was ready to sell it, we found a part of a winged seed in the drain at the sunroof. We put a air compressor to it, and blew it out, and no more wet problems.

hope you can figure it out, a damp carpet causes a moldy smell.

all the best....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Between the door and the interior door panel is a metal panel. That panel has a gasket around the perimeter that is supposed to keep water out of the inside of the car. Occasionally. that gasket can become damaged and allow water intrusion.

Just something else to think about.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Between the door and the interior door panel is a metal panel. That panel has a gasket around the perimeter that is supposed to keep water out of the inside of the car. Occasionally. that gasket can become damaged and allow water intrusion.

Just something else to think about.
I had this too. They fixed it in 2008 models. There is no way that it can leak into footwell. It only saturates carpet on door
Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the rear cab drains. You need to remove the inner fender liners ahead of each rear wheel and unclog. Drains are almost at bottom. Wheels need to be removed for the project. You may also want to remove the rear speaker covers and check the drain tube that runs behind the speakers to see if it is blocked.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Another thought...check the front drains located on either side of the battery (can't recall how many but I recall 2 on each side at least).
Remove the rubber inserts and use air hose to blast out.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this problem, never knew where to start to remedy it however. Figured I drove through deep water and it came in under the door. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

I (2007 997.1) had soaking wet door carpets during rain and dealer changed the metal inner door panel to resolve issue.

Although the door carpet no longer gets wet, by popping off the rubber stoppers under the doors I noticed water is still getting into the door. I figure this is not normal due to rust, etc?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

MY local Porsche tech advised me as well (as rideau suggests) to watch the rear drains. They are very near the rear side windows. Drain clearing is absolutely critical on these cars. I'm extremely careful about NOT parking anywhere where I can gather leaves, etc, so I feel I'm fairly safe, but we all need to stay on top of t his.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

There is also an issue with the rear window leaking. Mine do it with high pressure washer but I've never got water in the car with heavy rain.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Plastic intake manifold... at 1st I thought it looked beautiful then I found out it was plastic with aluminum paint on the outside. P-Marketing says it saves weight... seems like one of those items that was great for their profit margin as well. I'd rather see a true aluminum or metal alloy intake manifold back there... especially for future FI work.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
There is also an issue with the rear window leaking. Mine do it with high pressure washer but I've never got water in the car with heavy rain.
Porsche warns against any high pressure (washing) application of water to cabriolets. They are simply not designed for that environment. However, they hold up incredibly well against normal wind-driven rain,
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 PM
996C2Cabriolet
Advanced

I had my car parked outside in heavy rain 2 weeks ago and water got into the drivers side seat and damaged pretty much all of the electrical wiring & modules. I got an estimate of $17k to replace several modules and the main wiring harness got corroded. Harness alone costs $7k to replace...... Everyone, please make sure to clean out the drain plugs annually.
2010 C2S cab

Quick Reply: water intrusion