Sponsored by:

2012 GTS Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 GTS Mods

I'm quickly finding out that many members of Rennlist know far, far more than most Porsche sales staff. I have spoken to two tech.'s, both had a couple answers regarding 2012 GTS mods.

Is there a ECU upgrade available yet? GIAC is working on one, should be out soon. A Tubi 997/2 exhaust will fit on the GTS, except the
Tubi tips wont work, GTS tips won't fit Tubi. There are two aftermarket tips that will work well/look good, super inexpensive ($300). The other consideration is the vacuum line for the PSE, simply delete from system, Tubi always "on".

The black cars look super with the black wheels, and even the best photos don't really do them justice. But I think a silver wheels would really look the stuff, better contrast, check your dealer for any trade away sets in silver, should be even money on a new car deal. White GTS cars must have black wheels, by law.

The PASM Sport is slightly stiffer than PASM, not quite GT3 stiff, GTS lowered
20 mm. LSD is a super feature, Sport Susp. worth the $1000 if interested in best performance, and not an option that would limit a resale (like metallic Macadamia exterior).

What is the widest rear you can put on a GTS without flaring the fenders?

Is the intake box the same as the 997/2? Anyone thinking about a BCM
drop-in or is there an even better set-up?

Porsche says 408 h.p., it's n.a., with an ECU up-grade and replacement of PSE,
realistic h.p. gains?

Are there any aftermarket exhaust's made specifically for the GTS yet?

It is possible to get a GTS that is literally 2 months old. Some July builds will be delivered mid-August.
Very cool stuff.

Last edited by hot nikon; 07-12-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: title error
Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

probably it may be worth to change center muffler and may be put on 200 cell cats, as of ECU flash - decide for yourself, from what i heard so far it does not seem ANY airflow improvement mods change power output much on DFI engines, they are different in this regard from M96/M97.

Plus on a new car with unknown yet history I would stay away from any extreme powertrain mods so warranty would not be violated for a while until you will be sure car is fine and does not need any attention. Plus, honestly, stock 408hp is very decent. Power is not a limitation on those cars.

SPASM is very good. let it be unless you want to put on track grade Motons or JRZ Pro. If you find stock sway bars to be too soft you can try putting on GT3 or GT2 bars, that is probably only mod I would do to a stock GTS car, together with GT3 style LCAs for front camber. Figure out if RSS LCAs fit it or not in front.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Keep in mind that the GTS has the Powerkit upgrade from Porsche and that not only uncludes modded heads, different valves but also a different ECU program that a Carrera S has.

I'll have my GTS mid August and the mods I will be doing are:
GT3 Lower Control Arms
Rear Toe Links
Roll Bar
6 point Harness
Sharkwerks Center by-pass pipe
Clear bra
Mesh Screens front bumper (if I can find them or make them)
Performance Friction PF08 pads for track days
Michelin or Pirelli r-comp tires for track days
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mdrums
Your gonna wish that you did not opt for CL wheels!!!!
CL wheels are a PIA
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you use Porsche + Sharkwerks with no other mods? What will you use for track wheels? The dealer has a set of silver wheels, would switch for the stock black wheels. GIAC is working on a ECU up-grade, not ready yet. Are the GT3 parts an easy swap? They said the Tubi sys. would bolt on, only have to get new tips. Mines almost new, would like to use it, that's an hour on the lift.
I really like the idea of a 2012 v. 2009, three years newer, last of the 997/2, let's see what the 991 is all about, will see in a few years.
Are 305's the width you will stay with? Do you know what brand/model are the stock tires?
GT3 parts are Gen. II?
I would be interested in the sport shifter, that's pretty easy also.
The only option I wouldn't want is the Nav., almost all have it, too late to delete it.
Will you pull the rear seats to accommodate the roll bar? Will you strip anything else out?
Gave it a hard eyeball Sat., again tomorrow. You can see a diff. in the GTS width, height next to a Carrera. It's as fast as my C2S (0-60), no suprise there, but want to feel the diff. in suspension/ride.

A test drive would be bad, Egon. Manheim in PB sold a 09 C2S 6 spd.< 10k on the clock, went for $75K.
So... If they aren't covered up with used Carrera's, mines easy CPO.

Good luck with the new GTS. I would be on the phone every day, "Is it GTS yet?".

Quick Reply: 2012 GTS Mods