Sponsored by:

2007 997 C4S Ignition...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2007 997 C4S Ignition...

Anybody know about this issue? I put the key in to start the car i turn to the right and nothing happens. The clutch is pressed all the way down. I try again and then it's fine. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens pretty often, i explained to the dealer and he says that i need to press the clutch all the way down. Even if i don't press the clutch it still should turn the ignition on and it doesn't. Any ideas what it could be? Is this common for the 997? The car is CPO'd.

Thank you,

John
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a similar problem...

For about a week I would try and start the car as I normally would but it wouldn't crank. I'd have to switch the ignition off and on a few times by turning key back to the left and eventually it would crank. I explaned the problem to the dealer when I took it in for a faulty oil pressure sensor. They replaced the ignition switch. Interestingly on the job report it said there was a fault code 8041 logged. Maybe the ECU is clever enough to know you're trying to start the car but nothing is happening!

Sometimes it's the clutch switch. If it doesn't detect the clutch has been pressed you get a message on the dashboard display about needing to press the clutch. This isn't what you're experiencing.

John
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I recently had a similar problem...

For about a week I would try and start the car as I normally would but it wouldn't crank. I'd have to switch the ignition off and on a few times by turning key back to the left and eventually it would crank. I explaned the problem to the dealer when I took it in for a faulty oil pressure sensor. They replaced the ignition switch. Interestingly on the job report it said there was a fault code 8041 logged. Maybe the ECU is clever enough to know you're trying to start the car but nothing is happening!

Sometimes it's the clutch switch. If it doesn't detect the clutch has been pressed you get a message on the dashboard display about needing to press the clutch. This isn't what you're experiencing.

John

FiatCoupe, thank you for the prompt response. The first part with the ignition is exactly what i am experiencing. I believe it is the ignition switch myself.

John
Old 11-04-2011, 01:00 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have the same issue. The car doesn't seem to recognize the key all the time, and then sometimes it starts normally. Off to the dealer
Old 11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
I think I have the same issue. The car doesn't seem to recognize the key all the time, and then sometimes it starts normally. Off to the dealer
Did you try your other key - maybe the transponder in the key is bad??
Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did, and the same thing happened. The car seems to recognize it once in a while, but this morning, it wouldn't cooperate enough with either key to let the motor turn. It's still covered by the CPO warranty, so no real issue, just annoying.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the same issue, from time to time. Eventually, after I take out the key and place it back in, I can get it started. Then no problem. Mine, however, displays "depress clutch", even when it's depressed down to and (almost) thru the floorboard.

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The 996 cars have a history of ignition switch issues--usually on the older cars. Perhaps there is a similar problem now for the 997s. I would be surprised to see a different part number on the 997s. I think they are the same--996 and 997, in that department.

Quick Reply: 2007 997 C4S Ignition...