Sponsored by:

Fan Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fan Switch

My switch for the A/C fan is starting to peel. The black rubber coating is starting to peel off. Can't just replace the switch, have to get a whole new head unit. WOW, unbelievable. It's on a 06 so out of warranty. Anyone have this happen?
Wonder if you could use some liquid rubber and coat just the switch?
Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember the model years that have this issue, but it's been complained about many times. I got my 05 about 18 months ago, with about
24K miles and at the time the toggles were pristine. Now (16K miles later) they are unreadable. Nearly all of the factory markings are gone and the area around the protruding center section is all worn and mostly white (crap!). But like you have heard, you have to change the whole control unit to change the switches. Even though I don't like the appearance, I'm not going to spring for the new center unit. It might be possible to get a control unit from a breaker, but I don't know. I've learned to look past it. There are some (I think sort of goofy) theories about lotions and the like being the culprit, but none of the causes ends up being a cure....my theory is that it was a material science problem, not foreseen, with a defective bond between the coating and the switch itself. I seem to remember someone posting the cost of a new control unit being several hundred dollars.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The controller is about $500.00. SUCKS!

Perhaps peeling the rest of the switch and painting with a black primer would help. I would like to see someone take on this project... I just don't have the time or developed the artistic side of my brain. : )

Quick Reply: Fan Switch