Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's wrong with this steering wheel horn?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a slight crease like that on my stone grey sports wheel (old style round) as well.. though not as prominent as that one image. The new style replacement wheel going in next week doesn't have it. Seems to be a hit and miss thing exacerbated by the lighting.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Bringing back this old thread. Does any 997.1 owner NOT have this seam on the steering wheel airbag?

I've got it and it bugs me. Almost all the pics of the 997.1 steering wheels, regardless of whether it's the round sport type or triangle type, seem to have this issue. I'm wondering if there's a fix other than upgrading to a 997.2 wheel, since these don't have the issue from what I can tell.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The seam was barely noticeable on my car when new but I can see it now. This is probably a result of some exposure to summer heat over time.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:33 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Leather on the steering wheel center and I have the seam. But my wheel is old too so maybe it has changed.

I do believe that even if you have a "full leather" interior doesn't mean that you get a leather steering wheel center. the faux leather in the center of the wheel version (i looked at both when i bought my steering wheel) is quite good. the faux leather in the middle of the wheel is much better than the faux leather that appears elsewhere in the car. I'm not sure if i would be able to discern that it's faux leather if i had not seen the comparison.
Is the seam on your leather center very obvious?

From what I can tell, the seam is not very visible on the 997.1 airbag/horn when the cars are new, but over time the seam becomes visible with age. By now, I think most 997.1 cars would be showing the seam. Just wondering if the leather centers are more resistant to the seam/crease being visible compared to the leatherette that most have. (The newer style steering wheels on the 997.2 seem fine, as shown in the pics by "Mike in CA".

Quick Reply: what's wrong with this steering wheel horn?