997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Porsche dealer story..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011 | 11:15 AM
GHills
Instructor

Randy sounds like a complete know-nothing douche.

I'm surprised he didn't tell you your car would be worth more if it had lobster forks and soft ruffled leather interior.
Old 06-24-2011 | 11:20 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

i tried desperately once to talk a salesman OUT of turning what had been a very pleasant experience into one I would regret...

I had made my deal, written the check and was waiting for delivery. The salesman gets out of my new car, hands me the last set of keys, and blocks my passage into the drivers seat. He looks at me and asks "you want to know what kind of deal you got on this car?"

I replied (verbatim) "NO! I don't NEED to know. I'm happy with the deal I made and I really like the car."

As much as I tried to prevent this dumbass from saying anything further, he just couldn't help himself..."My sales manager lost money selling you this car!"

I told him that was complete bull****, that if his sales manager lost money he should be fired, and that I just don't understand what it is about some people that are bound and determined to step on themselves, regardless of the situation. He turned a pleasant and very atypical buying experience (for me) into a very typical, bull****, new car purchase. He couldn't help himself.

just one experience
Old 06-24-2011 | 12:05 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

My recent experience with new car buying (foto on the left <<) that still confuses me a little. Like most of you folks, I was searching for just the right combo of options and colors. In my area we have 4 dealers within about 90 minutes. I was lucky to locate the car I was looking for at a small dealer at the far end of the 90 minute circle. My local dealer (3 miles away) knew that I was looking for a car. I phoned them and told them that I found this one nearby and that I would prefer to buy it from them. They said they would gladly do a dealer swap and get it for me so I could buy it locally and that was my preference. I emailed the local dealer a clean dependable offer. 2 days later I get a call saying that they would be glad to sell me the car for 2% off MSRP. I turned around and offered the same deal to the dealer with the car on their lot. They gladly accepted it and even delivered the car to my driveway the next day. All the paperwork was done in my garage, easy-peasy. Sure, the dealer didn't make a killing on my offer, but he made something and moved another unit. The local guy knew I was gonna buy this car, he just had absolutely no interest in make such a small amount of profit. I will never understand how you choose to make nothing, nada, zip, verses making a little profit on an easy deal.
Old 06-24-2011 | 12:21 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrzoop
I will never understand how you choose to make nothing, nada, zip, verses making a little profit on an easy deal.
The very wealthy father of a friend of mine told me a long time ago that "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".

Better to sell a slow moving item for a little profit and then roll that money into something that is higher demand than to sit forever trying to make a killing.
Old 06-24-2011 | 12:22 PM
DLennox
Banned

Originally Posted by mrzoop
I will never understand how you choose to make nothing, nada, zip, verses making a little profit on an easy deal.
It depends on how low your offer was. A dealer does not make the same margin on another dealers inventory that they make on their own. Getting a car from another dealer has expense and usually involves a trade which may or may not be beneficial to the dealership.
That being said, a 2% discount is kind of insulting.

Last edited by DLennox; 06-24-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2011 | 12:25 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Mr zoop.....love your "sample rides from the past and present" link. Simply awesome!
Old 06-24-2011 | 12:48 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

In 2001 I went to buy a 964 at Hearb Chambers and the sales person asked me three times if I could afford to buy the car before taking it on a test drive. The third time he asked I said “I’ve told you twice now yes, now are we going for the test drive or not?” He says, “No I don’t think so.” So I went down the street and bought one from another dealer. Idiot.
Old 06-24-2011 | 02:53 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Also for everyones FYI Porsche is (according to Randy) is offering 10K over fair trade value to put current owners into new cars. 5K from Porsche and 5K from the dealership...

This caused me some confusion on what they valued the trade originally when they came to me with $57-60K a day earlier for a value..which is straight wholesale right now. Looks like they may just be pocketing the Porsche cash on intial deals they are penciling.

Once again I'm not so mad or surprised at the tactic, as I am at Randy, who played me a bit on giving him a chance. I still really really like the 07 I have, situations like this make you love the car you have more.
Old 06-24-2011 | 04:54 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

red is for fems, and people no longer like to shift manuals

wow, I'm gonna really be screwed when/if the time comes for me to move on

I guess I should consider myself lucky for moving that 6 speed, guards red, girlie p-car i owned before this one
Old 06-24-2011 | 09:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
red is for fems, and people no longer like to shift manuals

wow, I'm gonna really be screwed when/if the time comes for me to move on

I guess I should consider myself lucky for moving that 6 speed, guards red, girlie p-car i owned before this one
Yeah, your baby blue 997 is really a girlie color.
Old 06-24-2011 | 10:05 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pewter82
I.... and Red is more of a female color..." I laughed and said you must be kidding me.
Let's face it.....Randy is an idiot. Next time you see him, ask him if he thinks Ferrari would have been better tolerated among males had they picked a different default color for their cars over the past half century.

Last edited by sandwedge; 06-25-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2011 | 01:01 AM
pewter82
Drifting

^^^^^^^^^^^^ You have an Awesome C4S !

Great Oberservation on Ferrari !
Old 06-25-2011 | 11:30 PM
MG's Fast Fish
Advanced

Hmm....what's fair market value?

I guess I want paint to sample value for my artic silver now....LOL, but kinda srs. If Porsche has 5K and the dealer gives 5K...then heck, I should be able to get a new Porshe for dirt cheap...

I think I'll hold onto this thing for a long, long time.

Just turned 3K miles.

Quick Reply: Another Porsche dealer story..