Sponsored by:

Maintenance: did my Oil Change over a lunch break

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 03:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by aglaes
Changed my oil yesterday - 1st time since I've had the car ('06 Carrera S). Car was completely level in the garage. I let the oil drip for at least 20 minutes when draining. Looked up the amount of oil needed in the manual for an oil change with filter change and it says "approx. 9 quarts". I went ahead and added 9 qts (Driven DT40 5W40).

Drove it a bit afterward. Checked the level the next day and the overfill bar is lit on the little oil level display. Do you think its OK or do I need to drain a little out?
Yes overfilled is not good. Never fill the recommended full amount. Best practice is to measure the oil out and be prepared to add that if previously at the right level. In any case, under-fill, measure and correct if needed.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:23 PM
acollen
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there an oil change reminder that needs to be reset on the 997.1 (2005 Carrera S)?

I have watched some YouTube videos where they use an iCarSoft to reset the warning, but I changed the oil over the weekend on my recently acquired 997 due to time (1yr) vs mileage (1,900 miles between) and there was no warning nor did I see any menu/countdown days/miles.

Quick Reply: Maintenance: did my Oil Change over a lunch break