Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are CPO Porsche Cars Are So Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Residual is based on msrp. So buyout price at the end of the lease would be $47.3k.
Up to a point, there is a max MSRP that can be used to calculate residual (MRM). With all of the options available on a Porsche, it's not hard to get there. I don't know what it is on a Carrera, but on a Cayman S with PDK it's 79k. Leasing gets very expensive if you go over the MRM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
I think the used car market has changed a good bit from last year for these cars and its no longer a buyers market. The deals arent quite the same and theres not as much cpo/used car inventory. The summer time is also a bad time to buy a used sports car as this is when they sell for premium..
The down economy drastically reduced new car sales. The supply of used cars comes from formerly new cars. So less new cars means less used cars. There is relative scarcity of used cars as compared to demand right now. That's why the used car market is so hot right now.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
RedBarron2007
Advanced

the fact the new 911 comes out in a yea also has to have a big dent on new car sales right now. MOST new 911 owners i would think know this and ae waiting to see whats up with it.. this is just a guess, but i would think that has to have something to do with it.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

It will be interesting to see what effect the roll out of the new 911 will have on the value of new and used 997 inventory. Unlike the 996 - 997 transition, there may be some folks who are not keen on the changes. If so, the value of unsold new and used 997s may be well supported for a while.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Up to a point, there is a max MSRP that can be used to calculate residual (MRM). With all of the options available on a Porsche, it's not hard to get there. I don't know what it is on a Carrera, but on a Cayman S with PDK it's 79k. Leasing gets very expensive if you go over the MRM.
True but you run into the same problem buying it. When you heavily option your Porsche, you don't get most of it back at resale assuming you go to sell at the same time period of the lease you're comparing it to. This is likely why Porsche created the max MRSP for leases.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
dansen
Intermediate

New Porsches are also sold like crazy. Last year they sold 2385 911 and this year to end of May are already sold 2707. Our nice friend here, MJones posts the sales report every month. I tried to do the link but don't know how.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
True but you run into the same problem buying it. When you heavily option your Porsche, you don't get most of it back at resale assuming you go to sell at the same time period of the lease you're comparing it to. This is likely why Porsche created the max MRSP for leases.
Very true. I think if you're going to buy, spend as little on options as you can, unless you plan on keeping the car for a long time. With a lease, you might as well option up to the MRM if you want.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 454 Posts

I think another issues you have to be aware of is that Porsche NA has had their allocation of new cars from Porsche AG decreased in part due to the economic crisis and auto sales implosion in the US and globally. From what I've heard they've re-routed allocations to places like China, Russia, India, Dubai and other countries currently flush with cash than the US. So as the number of new Porsche on the lot has dried up so has the number of CPO cars it seems. I've seen numerous dealers seriously looking and having a hard time finding good cars to sell at CPO and so I think besides what others have mentioned you also have simple supply and demand laws at play here also.

As for CPO...I agree they are usually unmodded cars in very good/excellent condition. My 05 I sold back to my dealer in Feb 09 only had an aftermarket exhaust which they removed and replaced with the OEM one so they could fully CPO it at sale. Gave me the AWE exhaust back which I sold for $1000 to another 997 owner and my car was gone/sold witin 10 days I think. Thus is the market it seems...but I do agree $2k markup profit on a CPO 997 is likely unrealistic/unbelievable even in this environment. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: Why are CPO Porsche Cars Are So Expensive?