Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sport vs PS2s qualitative & track times

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
The problem with most of the tire reviews is someone will replace their current tires - that are worn down to the cords - and then proclaim how wonderful the new tire is compared to what they had. ****, anything round is gonna be better.

I was interested in the PSS and was hoping they would be much better than the PS2. Was even prepared to take off my RE-11's (that have LOTS of tread left) just to get a more fair comparison. I could be wrong but I don't think the PSS will be anywhere close to the RE-11 in perf.

I wish bridgestone could figure out a way to take some damn weight off the RE-11. It is a great street tire.
what leads you to that conclusion?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Can you review how you prepped the new tires? Do you have a break-in procedure? Or just the DD miles between installing and getting to the track? It sounds like you planned them as track tires, but not primarily, so I don't suppose you shaved them. Would you give us an update when you've got a few thousand on them and the tread is down to 60% or so?

Gary
you can't compare tyres that have had multiple heat cycles vs those that have not ... the former will always be perform better
Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all,
I'll try going from 38->36 or so hot for the rears next time. I am guessing it should be fine for the SS as they are supposed to have a better sidewall. But, when I dropped to those pressures on the PS2s I was getting some roll over problems on the out lap until the temp built up. That is why I didn't feel too comfortable going below 38 hot.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS
Thanks all,
I'll try going from 38->36 or so hot for the rears next time. I am guessing it should be fine for the SS as they are supposed to have a better sidewall. But, when I dropped to those pressures on the PS2s I was getting some roll over problems on the out lap until the temp built up. That is why I didn't feel too comfortable going below 38 hot.
If you are running more negitive camber that stock settings (both front and rear) you can run less air pressure. I don't know what your alignment is but if it is stock I would not run less air pressure because then you will experience even more sidewall roll over.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
If you are running more negitive camber that stock settings (both front and rear) you can run less air pressure. I don't know what your alignment is but if it is stock I would not run less air pressure because then you will experience even more sidewall roll over.
Thanks. I have GT3 control arms and with shiims I am running -2.3 up front and -1.8 in the back. I'll drop down slowly to see if the SS's sidewalls can take it.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs PS2s qualitative & track times