Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling Targa owners.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 02:07 PM
must58gt
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looked at different features/options and decided the Targa fit the bill for me. Porsche don't build many so I looked in Canada also and finally bought the car from a Porsche dealer near Toronto. Really like the large(r) sunroof and hatch for easier access to the rear interior. The sunroof adds some weight so it's less likely to have been raced.

My only complaint is that the sunroof has a leak that neither I nor the local can find/fix. Four visits to the dealer and after considerable expense, I woke up this weekend after an overnight shower and the rear passenger side floorboard is soaked. Ugh. I like the Targa well enough to keep it a long time but not if I can only drive it on a sunny day.

All this to say, if/when you find one you like, suggest take it to a car wash and hose it down with a high pressure sprayer. Then check the interior for any indication of a leak. Might be worthwhile to ask the dealer to pull maintenance records to look for any indication of a sunroof leak repair.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:07 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by must58gt
Really like the large(r) sunroof and hatch for easier access to the rear interior. The sunroof adds some weight so it's less likely to have been raced.
The Targas made with a huge, panoramic sunroof were leaky. When they figured out the 'magic trick'; i.e., a modern, electric roof Targa that looks like a classic Targa, they pretty much fixed the leaking issues.

That said, even modern Targas will leak eventually, but that is typically a drizzle down the inside of the window when driving in a heavy downpour--not the rear floor soaking you've got.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:09 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by box
The Targas made with a huge, panoramic sunroof were leaky. When they figured out the 'magic trick'; i.e., a modern, electric roof Targa that looks like a classic Targa, they pretty much fixed the leaking issues.

That said, even modern Targas will leak eventually, but that is typically a drizzle down the inside of the window when driving in a heavy downpour--not the rear floor soaking you've got.
You are wrong about that. Properly maintained, they will not leak, and were never considered leaky. My 2009 (bought about 4 years ago) was a daily driver for the first 3 years I had it with no issues. You would hear about it if it was an issue, as there are plenty of targa owners on this site.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine never leaked. You can buy the best grease (or should I say greaseless lube, as it is not tacky/sticky) IMHO called shin etsu at a Honda dealer.

​​​​​​Use it to lube the rubber seal all around the roof and your roof shouldn't leak anymore. But also check your drain tubes.

Last edited by Steph1; 12-30-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:15 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
Mine never leaked. You can buy the best grease (or should I say greaseless lube, as it is not tacky/sticky) IMHO called shin etsu at a Honda dealer.

​​​​​​Use it to lube the rubber seal all around the roof and your roof shouldn't leak anymore. But also check your drain tubes.
or Gummi Pflege Stift

Quick Reply: Calling Targa owners.