Sponsored by:

Euro Triangle Reflector Install in 997 C4 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Triangle Reflector Install in 997 C4 Cab

I recently received a Euro triangle reflector kit for my 06 997 C4 Cab from Suncoast. The plastic case for the reflector fits into the U shaped plastic brackets, left and right, and these brackets have round soft rubber gaskets for attaching to something under the hood. Has anyone here installed one of these in a Carrera 4? For the life of me, I can't find any obvious round posts in the front trunk area to fit the brackets to.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'll take a couple of pictures and show you how I mounted mine in my trunk. (997S). It may be a bit different from the C4. The fitting of it accounts for the rear windscreen being stored in the trunk.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Thank you Edgy01 - looking forward to the images. There must be Euro mounting hardware not yet in the Suncoast kit.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Here you go. When I took delivery of my car in Germany Porsche provided me with the reflector as well as a first aid kit (mandatory items for Europe). The reflector was simply tossed into the bottom of the trunk. I had noticed over time on some factory photos (probably of Euro-spec cars) that they had some sort of arrangement for securing the reflectors. They have one that is a sort of U shaped receptacle (open at the top) that supports each end of the reflector. I sent for what PCNA has in their catalog--and they sent me these. These clip onto the top of the tool kit portion of the trunk back wall and then the reflector is secured by them. For the Carrera 4 cars that rear wall is different I think because of the encroachment of the from mechanicals into the usable space in the trunk. Perhaps they have a different solution for the 4s.

Here's the pics:
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Default Euro Reflector in a C2

Your photos show a sensible, straightforward and strong way to hang this thing, with the brackets "holding" the reflector rather than suspending the reflector. It appears your brackets are installed with the fastening portion clipped _down_ over the top edge of the vertical carpeted panel. On the C4, the only way I could approximate would be to reverse the fastener, with the fastening portion sliding _up and behind_ the hard plastic panel. The serrated portion at the back of the fastener manages to "grip" behind the left fastener -- but there is no grip behind the right -- because of the descending portion of the hard plastic panel preventing the right clip from fastening where it should. I had to slide the right fastener toward the center to capture the very end of the straight run of the panel --- but there is nothing for the serrated surface of the fastener to grip onto be behind the panel. The fasteners and the case for the triangle have a triangular tab and recess meant to snick together. This is not possible on the right using your attachment area in a C4. I don't know whether the two clips can fasten to the top of the carpeted panel that sits behind the reflector -- but one would have to unscrew and remove the whole fascia panel to find out --- and even then I am not sure the fascia would go pack properly and sit over the tops of the fasteners for the triangle. Put another way -- this can't be the right reflector and/or clips for a C4. Unless of course the Porsche engineers were passed out from several rounds of Lowenbrau when it came up for design! Ric from Suncoast has kindly offered to help try and figure this out!

Last edited by Lerpeniere; 06-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So we need a photo of a euro C4 frunk to know....
Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Default C4 Install Images

Images showing US Spec trunk of C4 Cab and my attempt to mount the reflector in the same relative area as the C2. It's solid on the left, loose on the right. It just doesn't seem intended for this area in a C4, and I don't see how this could work at all if Nav was installed:

Name:  IMG_9141.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9143.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9146.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  142.6 KB
Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Default Euro C4 Trunk photo

Originally Posted by Minok
So we need a photo of a euro C4 frunk to know....
Yes, this would be worth the proverbial thousand words if in fact the Euro & US spec trunks are laid out the same way.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lerpeniere
Yes, this would be worth the proverbial thousand words if in fact the Euro & US spec trunks are laid out the same way.
From a manufacturing standpoint, I'd expect the layouts to be as similar as possible since it would only increase costs needlessly to vary them.

The above C4 frunk of course needs a disclaimer, as its a C4 frunk with some specific options like a CD changer and Bose Amp? My T4 front has neither of those two boxes bolted to the left side (I don't have Bose and did not opt for a CD changer since my DVD-R can hold a butt-ton of MP3s.

If there is a common place to get the right clips. I'd like to know. Would work well in conjunction with the angled 17" 997 spare tire... as there would be room behind it for some 'stuff' like took kits, etc.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

Originally Posted by Minok
If there is a common place to get the right clips. I'd like to know. Would work well in conjunction with the angled 17" 997 spare tire... as there would be room behind it for some 'stuff' like took kits, etc.
...I use Suncoast Porsche for these parts:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/997FG.html
Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

An alternative (which I used for some time) was to put female Velcro on the top area of the tool kit and then male Velcro on either end of the triangle case. It kept it from moving around--and for a 997, that's says a lot!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Lerpeniere
AutoX

...I will remember that Dan -- thank you. If I were to install Nav next to the Bose amp, I can't imagine that position being at all viable. It may be that it ends up on the floor of the trunk, perhaps Velcroed as you described. I just would love to know how this was mounted in a Euro C4.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What I do is collect Porsche literature from the dealer--pour through it and watch for a slip. Quite often they will picture a Euro optioned car by mistake and that will give you a clue. Also, you could pose this question on Rennteam.com because there are more Europeans on that forum--someone might shoot a photo for you of their set up.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

One could also visit the German Porsche website and see if the configurator or techquipment pages have images of such things.

The problem with velcro, I found, is that the adhesive you use to stick it to things, will eventually break down and you get sticky goo on things you didn't want. (based on the velcro I've used in the past)... so making sure you have the right adhesive on things is important. (I had velcroed down floor mats in the past to the carpeted floor)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

If I'm going for more permanence, I have been known to supplement that sticky stuff with a mix of JB Weld.

Quick Reply: Euro Triangle Reflector Install in 997 C4 Cab