Sponsored by:

Maintenance: Spark Plug and Ignition Coil Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:07 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniff
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid it, but I guess that's not possible. I find this Workshop Manual a bit strange at times. Some of the job descriptions are overly detailed that I wonder, "Do you really need to describe this?" Others like this with no mention of downloading the exhaust are incomplete IMO.

Sean
I don't know how similar they are - but I just dropped the mufflers off the 996 GT3 and the job was easier than expected with the wheels off the car. Removed a few bolts and they slide out through the wheel well. On the 6GT3 the cans weigh 26 lbs each so you might want a hand holding them up when it's time to reinstall.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:06 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid it, but I guess that's not possible. I find this Workshop Manual a bit strange at times. Some of the job descriptions are overly detailed that I wonder, "Do you really need to describe this?" Others like this with no mention of downloading the exhaust are incomplete IMO.

Sean
It is definitely possible to replace the plugs without removing the exhaust. It is a pain to wriggle your hands and tools in there to get the job done. But it is definitely possible as I have done it. And in my opinion, easier the removing and replacing the exhaust.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
It is definitely possible to replace the plugs without removing the exhaust. It is a pain to wriggle your hands and tools in there to get the job done. But it is definitely possible as I have done it. And in my opinion, easier the removing and replacing the exhaust.
I had my rear wheels off the other day and saw the coil packs and thought they looked fairly easy to get to (well at least the front and middle plugs). I think I will try to do it first without downloading the exhaust and see how far I get, knowing full well it's highly probable I will have to drop the mufflers. Thanks.

Sean

Last edited by Sniff; 05-27-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem is that, at least with my 1/4" torque wrench, there's no way to torque the pugs and coil bolts with the mufflers in place. Even with the muffler out, I could not get my torque wrench to fit on the most aft coil pack bolt on the right side. If one is not planning to torque everything to the correct amount, then muffler removal isn't necessary. But not torquing to spec could lead to its own problems.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 AM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Avoid removing exhaust manifold(EM) if you have any plans to do so. Few weeks back I removed EM on right side for replacing plug/coil and one EM bolt snapped. I tried to remove stuck stud for many hours using various extractors/drill etc.. and finally ended up having indy shop drill out the stubborn stud(Charged me $350). You don't need to remove EM for coil/plug torqueing. With flex head ratchet/socket extension/universal joint combos, you should be able to torque them properly. Good luck.

I had my rear wheels off the other day and saw the coil packs and thought they looked fairly easy to get to (well at least the front and middle plugs). I think I will try to do it first without downloading the exhaust and see how far I get, knowing full well it's highly probable I will have to drop the mufflers. Thanks.

Sean
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^Agreed, I also would not remove the exhaust manifold for this job. But muffler removal is a piece of cake and makes it much easier.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:51 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question about ignition coils - I had a coil go on one cylinder that was replaced by the dealer under warranty. I am told that the coil they put in is a new design and that there is a likelihood the others will fail.

Is this correct? I've got a 997.2, 2009. I have 24k miles and it seems pretty early to be worrying about coils.

thanks!

b
Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure this has convinced me to just pay a shop to do the plugs!!!!

only 34K on the clock, but pretty sure the plugs are original... ('05). this would probably sort out the less-than-perfect idle...
Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean
Well I am happy to report that I successfully changed all 6 plugs on my 997.1 C4S without having to remove any exhaust components. The hardest coils were the middle one on the driver's side and the rear one on the passenger side. The others were a breeze. These DIY threads are great, so I knew what I was in for. There were no surprises.

I will say that my car is a factory X-51 with the sport exhaust, so I am not sure if I have more room to maneuver compared to the standard Carerras. That said, I found this job fairly straightforward. I just took my time, analyzed each coil pack very carefully, and came up with a different ratchet set-up using various sized extension rods. I didn't have to remove the wheels . . . just jacked the rear up using my recently purchased Jackpoint jackstands (I highly recommend them by the way).

I think all told I had around 3 hours in the job so I am pretty happy with that. Porsche books this job at 2.5 hours I've been told, so I think I did pretty good for my first time. I will confess I was not able to get a torque wrench on a couple of the coil pack bolts, but at 7.5 ft-lbs, I was close enough. I don't think having the mufflers off would have improved my chances as those bolts were blocked by the muffler bracket (which stays in place) rather than the muffler itself.

I am glad I tried to do it first without removing the exhaust. An old mechanic who is no longer with us once told me that he always tried to do a job by removing the least amount of components possible. He said if removing something wasn't essential to accomplishing the task, he avoided it because it always opened up the door for potential problems.

FWIW, the plugs I removed were not the factory originals. They were the Bosch FGR 5K QE0 plugs and were installed at a Porsche dealership in Southern CA during the car's last major service. I guess not all dealers use OEM.

Sean
Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question as I don't want to start a new thread and this is pretty on topic:

2009 Carrera S with about 7k miles, will be due for oil in a couple months. At this point Porsche recommends spark plug replacement. Car has always been in California, original owner had it 100% garaged and drove it weekends.

Overkill to do the plugs?

My trusted indy mechanic believes it's massive overkill and believes Porsches recommendation is based on avoiding plug seizures in other climates. I don't mind spending the money but I really don't want to meddle with something that's not broken at the same time. Car looks, smells, drives and was inspected to basically be in new condition. Don't want to mess with it if it's not needed.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Ezkill
My trusted indy mechanic believes it's massive overkill and believes Porsches recommendation is based on avoiding plug seizures in other climates.
This^ I wouldn't dream of changing plugs at 7k miles.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 PM
PhilD
Pro

As an aside, always check the plug tubes for oil. I had a couple leaking oil and have the metal tubes, the only way to seal them properly involves dropping the motor.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
My '08 C2S hit 47,500+ miles so I dove into some maintenance items this pass weekend.

<snip>

[/URL]
Originally posted by Luxster
The only thing I would add is to remove the exhaust manifold so you can get the torque wrench in there for the proper sparkplug torque setting.
<snip>
=L=

Thanks to the two of you, and others, for taking the time to post.

I'm just in the planning stages of doing "40k" maint on our 2009.
Other than potential P/N differences is the mechanical off and on pretty much the same as detailed for the .1's?

Cheers

Craig
Old 07-07-2014, 12:37 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Thanks to the two of you, and others, for taking the time to post.

I'm just in the planning stages of doing "40k" maint on our 2009.
Other than potential P/N differences is the mechanical off and on pretty much the same as detailed for the .1's?

Cheers

Craig
never mind, just found this specific to 997.2

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-plug-diy.html
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Just chiming in - right rear plug is a real PITA to remove due to the upper/aft coil bolt. Very difficult to get at it....finally a goofy combination of 1/4, 3/8, universals, extensions. I then had to plug the coil back in from the top - a blind maneuver and my hand looks like I lost a fight with a cat. Porsche could have VERY easily tweaked the exhaust bracket design to make this job simple. I may mod it next time. The other 5 plugs collectively took the same time as the right rear!

Btw - removed exhaust but not manifolds. I've had the exhaust off before and knew it was super easy to remove. But....this time around the bolts on the clamps were rusted solid and two had to be cut off. Wire brushed threads and soaking with liquid wrench didn't help. Stainless steel exhaust - good. Mild steel bolts - stupid. I replaced with stainless. Didn't want to risk manifold removal for fear of more rusted fasteners.

Quick Reply: Maintenance: Spark Plug and Ignition Coil Replacement