Sponsored by:

Maintenance: Spark Plug and Ignition Coil Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 07C4S
Just chiming in - right rear plug is a real PITA to remove due to the upper/aft coil bolt. Very difficult to get at it....finally a goofy combination of 1/4, 3/8, universals, extensions. I then had to plug the coil back in from the top - a blind maneuver and my hand looks like I lost a fight with a cat. Porsche could have VERY easily tweaked the exhaust bracket design to make this job simple. I may mod it next time. The other 5 plugs collectively took the same time as the right rear!

Btw - removed exhaust but not manifolds. I've had the exhaust off before and knew it was super easy to remove. But....this time around the bolts on the clamps were rusted solid and two had to be cut off. Wire brushed threads and soaking with liquid wrench didn't help. Stainless steel exhaust - good. Mild steel bolts - stupid. I replaced with stainless. Didn't want to risk manifold removal for fear of more rusted fasteners.
+1... I used SS nuts and bolts for the installation of my aftermarket FVD exhaust system almost 4yrs ago. Looking back it may have been one of the best $30 "bang for the buck" investments I ever made at my local Fastenall store.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:23 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the car in Florida w/ 12K miles on the odo. Drove it in Florida for several months and then back to Chicago where it has been ever since. The first fall in Chicago I had problems with my exhaust. It has a Tubi Design....which is a piece of crap (installed by previous owner). I had to remove it b/c the SS is so thin and welds so poor it was cracking around the pipes. At that time I was probably 15-17k miles and the car had never seen snow/salt. The exhaust came out very easily (had a friend's factory weld/reinforce it). Never thought those bolts would be a problem. Several years later - same bolts rusted to oblivion. Stainless only way to go.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:30 AM
douwd20
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an idea what the dealer would charge for ignition coil and spark plug replacement? I have a 997.2 Turbo Gen 2.

Quick Reply: Maintenance: Spark Plug and Ignition Coil Replacement