Sponsored by:

Frunk Tie Down Points for Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frunk Tie Down Points for Spare Tire

I'm not trying to rehash the spare/no spare threads. Suffice to say, I've made it through 5+ years "spareless" without a hitch but I'm planning a cross country trip this summer - Maryland to California and back with some remote routes along the way, so I bit the bullet and bought the collapsible spare.

For mounting it, I used the threaded floor posts that hold the removable front trim piece that contains the compressor and goop bottle (C2 type configuration).

Any one try this and find there to be a problem? It seems to work quite well. I put a piece of hardware on the post, attached it with a metric 6.0 nut and then put the plastic cap back on so that the trim piece goes back in place.

I've attached some pictures. And, yes, frunk has since been vacuumed.

I secure the tire with tarp straps through the tire rim and attached at these points and it seems very secure. Hopefully, no one will tell me that this will lead to some heretofore undisclosed catastrophe.

I'm also taking a serpentine belt (Edgy's advice) and a few key tools. Looking forward to the Rockies and then those lonely Utah and Nevada roads.

Anything else one might pack for such a trip? Wife is flying out to CA and back, so there is plenty of room in the car.

Kevin
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

It's good to know that you are considering the weight of the spare in there--it needs really good support. Do you have a "Das Shield" thing in the hood? Will help to minimize damage to that soft hood.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Yes, have a "Das Shield," but I'm pretty sure the tire won't jump unless both of those floor mounts give way. Thanks also for your info on making some key repairs. I'll probably take that CD with me. Any other tools besides the 24mm socket and the normal emergency kit that you'd recommend?
Kevin
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Perhaps a little ground cloth (I keep one under the right pass. seat) just in case. Always best to HAVE the stuff and not have to use it than to wish you had it at the side of the road.

Good luck on the trip.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I've been using a similar solution for the past two years without issue. The bracket containing the dynamic lights controller had some convenient holes for top straps. I added two additional straps to the location you show. Add the compressor storage panel and a trunk liner and the tire is fairly secure. I also have the Das Shield liner in case it lets go.
Attached Images      
Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

That looks great. Very nice and neat solution. I have the Bose amp where your control unit sits but perhaps the bracket upon which it is mounted has similar gaps. I'd also like to have a top support like you've identified.

Thanks for the pictures.

Kevin
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I've got to get one of those tub frunk liners. Nice job.

Quick Reply: Frunk Tie Down Points for Spare Tire